Greece and other Greek Island Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Greece and other Greek Islands.
Although my web site is designed mainly for yotties, it still gives lots of short descriptions of places which may help you find places you'd enjoy. Have a look under the 'Sailing' tab, the go to 'Greece Details' in the left hand column.

A couple of points.

1. Greece does not do 'gourmet'. Alfresco? Yes. Under bright neon tubes. Accommodation usually easy to find except July and August.

2. Poros would be fun for you (bars, restaurants, girls, village architecture) but you've got to travel a wee bit to find a beach - bus or taxi. Aegina? A bit quiet perhaps. Spetsais? Beaches pebble, night life reasonable, light on girls.

3. Many good islands are reached at least daily by ferry from Pireaus, which is on the main suburban rail network. Also direct buses from the airport (about 1hr 30 min).

4. More distant islands to consider which should meet your needs: Syros (strong, genuine Greek character. Lovely old town. Lively, but not so much from tourists as from Greeks). Naxos (great beaches, lovely old town, lively with locals and tourists, Scandinavian girls). Mykonos (sheer hedonism, very lively with lots of international multigender activity, expensive accomodation).

5. If you can, obtain a copy of 'The Rough Guide to Greece'. Well worth it, and great on detail.
Good reply from JimB.
We have children aged 29 and 31 so we know exactly whats needed. Having visited many of the islands and large parts of the mainland over the years the one place the springs to mind is Naplion (Pelopenesse). This has an old walled town and a larger modern town. The old town waterfront is full of ultra modern bars and clubs and its quite classy. The atmosphere on Friday nights and weekends is buzzing and its mainly wealthy Greeks with all other nationalities including yours represented. Just behind the waterfront is ancient Greece with a good selection of tavernas in the sidestreets. Above the town is a huge fort, floodlit at night and very impressive. Just about everything else you ask for is here. You are not far from Poros, Hydra or Spetse here and boats run from Tolon (possibly Naplion, not sure) to these islands and also to Monemvasia, an amazing location extremely popular with Americans. Enjoy your trip.
Thanks for the advice from both of you. It really helped.

Jim, I poked around your site and really appreciated the ratings of each island along with some details. From that site and this one, sounds like you really liked Naxos.

Another alternative I'm proposing would be taking a ferry or plane to the cylades, but my research indicates that those islands can be VERY expensive (moreso on Santorini and Mykonos, less so on Paros and others).

Another thing I haven't quite figured out is how much to expect to pay for things such as beers and mixed drinks. My two travel books say(related to Athens alone) either a) expect to be at least 5Eu for a beer or b) expect to pay 20+Eu to get into the clubs, and another 10-13Eu PER DRINK!

And then, I see other travel book language that says the islands are even MORE expensive... jeesh I better bring a flask.

Jim, from your reports, you seem like a guy who likes an adult beverage every now and then -- do you remember how much they cost around the Greek islands?

(P.S. I'll go pick up that rough guide tonight, so far I only have frommers and another one)
I live half the time in the Peloponese, so I can give you up to date stuff on 'mainland' costs; the benchmark.

Previous post is dead right about Navplion. Delightful, lively place with some quite eccentric bars. Car hire from there will take you to some good spots. If you can survive the discipline of driving in Greek traffic. Which is sparse, but highly imaginative in its overtaking habits. In fact, for Navplion, consider car hire from the airport for the whole period (don't go for big names, then it's about €400 to squish four in for 8 or nine days).

Island costs, where there is some tourism, will generally be 30% higher. Islands rich on tourism (Mykonos, Thyra, Rhodes old city, Kos city) will be 50% higher, also boasting exceptional spots with skyhigh prices (Mykonos west facing bars along the seafront!). Islands predominantly Greek and self contained (Syros, Naxos away from tourist areas) will be closer to mainland prices.

'Clubs' are the same Europe wide. They open at 2300 or later, deafen you with loud music, charge a big fee for the first drink, and rarely expect you to drink any more. Scandinavians and Scots seem to be the exception, they don't stop drinking. (Sorry, I shouldn't generalise like that!)

So, typical meal costs for the mainland (factor as above for the islands) together with barrel wine or beer, per person:

Simple 'oven food' and grills - €10 - 12
Something a bit better - €12 - €15
Seafood - €15 - €20

Big drink in economic bar: €1.80 to €2.50
Big drink in smarter bar/cafe: €4
Cocktails: €6 plus

We live happily on €50 a day for the two of us, eating out half the time with a big blow out once a week or so, but usually enjoying a nice beer at home before going out.

Be tolerant about toilets. Septic tanks are the norm, and it saves an enormous amount of money on pump out trucks when you don't put the paper down the loo. The smelly little receptacles by the bowl are ready for your used paper!

Personal safety? Pick pockets? Bag snatchers? Theft? Mugging? Not an issue (except perhaps in the sleaziest corner of the biggest city). We don't bother to lock the house or the car.
Thanks again, Jim. Superb info - so far you're my very best source of info. It is really nice of you to help so many people out with your knowledge -- a true community service. One minor follow up question.

Say a certain fat American is walking down the street in Athens and wants to buy a gyro and a soft drink(like a coke) for "take away" as I believe you folks call it. How much is that gonna cost him? You know, your best guess...

** Edit to remove bold text as per T&C's. luci HT Mod **
Nothing. He'll be refused service to assist his slimming needs.

The slim guy next door will pay €4 to €6, depending how close to the ferry terminal he is. A tyropita (cheese pie - universally available) and Greek coffee will set youu back €3.

You guys really must have a word with your government about your exchange rates. Europe is becoming a very expensive place for you to visit. Don't even think of UK! Very cheap meal out here - Indian curry plus beer, $32 per person. Decent blow out, $80 per person and more. Pint of beer in ordinary pub - $5.

Now you understand why we spend so much time living in Greece!

JimB
Exchange rate... jeesshh... tell me about it... that's why we like to hang out in Mexico, Canada, Costa Rica, and other places that have lower exchange rates than ours!

I'm curious to see how the Greek Isles compares to my favorite vacation spot, Playa Del Carmen, Mexico. Their water is beautiful, too (turqoise color), but PDC is not an island and I'm sure the combination of beautiful water and islands with wonderful architecture will be even more scenic!

Thanks for your help, Jim (and others).

I wish you all smooth sailing!
(Apparently I'm not yet allowed to post links... <sigh>... but I understand why they do it -- I moderate a couple of forums myself)

My trip report and pics of PDC:
Type in the word tiny followed by the word u r l then put a period and a dot com slash, then put the following characters: "yuerby" then hit return and the page shold load.
We returned from PDC Mexico recently and I can assure you its cheaper to eat out in Greece. However its not easy to find a beach that matches the southern end of PDC beyond the Tucan and Sandos hotels. The beaches that do spring to mind are Plaka on Naxos and any of the beaches on Elafonisos island off the southern Pelopennese both some way from Athens.
Well, PDC, much like Greece I imagine, has it's share of expensive places and cheap places...I've been to PDC 5 times now, so by now, I've found some pretty cheap places to eat that are of decent quality. I mean, a slice of pizza(Pizza Pazza is my fav) and a coke down there is like 3 bucks. Beer in a bar will cost ya like $3-5, but in the grocery store? $1.50

Having said that, my fav restaurants down there are more comparable to American prices ($15-25 per entree): John Gray's Kitchen, Chicago Don Jose, La Palapa Hemingway, and the Blue Lobster.

I'll be on the lookout for the cheap food since I'll be spending a lot of my money on booze. I think we're gonna have to "flask" it quite a bit.
I think you are going to be trying the ouzo by the sound of it. Good quality 40% spirit at around $ 10 a bottle should get the party started!!!
Oh yes, i've been doing MUCH research on the famed ouzo.... :-)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.