Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Hi wickedchris, well you have picked a good hotel first off, phones,
we always take an old mobile with us and get it unlocked at the Elephant shop and you can buy a pay as you go sim card, texts to the uk are about 2rs (80 to the pound) .
If you come out of your hotel on to the main road turn left and walf for about 5 mins you will come to it on the same side next to Guru jewellers (ask anyone).
Goanne
right thanks for that.

1 question answered.

Could i give the phone away to someone when i come home, if i took an old one.
?????? well I suppose, or save it for next time! but we usually leave it to one of the room boys
Goanne
thanks for that will do.

2nd question

is it worth taking toiletries from home or buying them when there.

i usually take

shower gel
shampoo
conditioner
cleanser, toner, moisturiser
toothpaste

make up is

mascara
blusher
lipstick.

deodorant and perfume

I'm not one for loads of toilitries
Hi Guys,

I would bring it with you but put it all in your case otherwise customs will take it ( read the airport regulations ) You can buy it out here but it can be a little bit more expensive. Don't forget to put your deodorant and perfume on when we meet up we don't want any bad odours around do we!!!! :oops: keep firing away with the questions and i am sure you will have everything organised for your trip.

Are you counting down the days yet?

Mike
Personally I never take shower gel, shampoo, conditioner and moisturiser with me - it is too easy to get in Goa. The Elephant Shop sells it all (as do many other shops) and I personally think the prices are cheaper and/or competitive - it saves weight in the case. I cannot comment on make up as I never wear it out there. One big product range in Goa is Garnier.

However, I always take toothpaste - I did not think the local one was as good as at home.

Candybabe
To get a sim in India you will need photos, passport size. You need to register and may need to re-register after 5-10 days.
some sims cost more to phone /text home than others. Check which one is best for you.
Some sim cards also do not expire others do after 1/2 months.
Another place to get sim card is travel agent / internet shop nearly opposite HB road.
Turn left at end of HB road and opposite side of road up some steps.
For toiletries etc. see Sue she has small shop just as you come out onto HB road. She also has a phone costs about 8p a minute to UK.
Steve
I forgot to pack mascara the last time I was there and couldn't find a shop that sold it, so take your own. You should be OK with getting the blusher & lippy though.

We always take our own suncream as I have heard that the ones in Goa are not as good and I have to be careful about burning.
we dont take toiletries we usually buy shower gel soap and shampoo out there cheaper , but we take deodorant because we use one we cant get out there and i usually take make up with me because i have sensitive skin and only use certain ones same for sun sreams i take a couple with me for sensitive skin for my face but buy the rest out there anita :D
Hey John hope you don't put that make up on when your at Ewood Park :lol: (sorry off topic).
Just thought I'd lighten up the page, as most are feeling stressed with this Visa thingy.......jxk8.
right ladies clothes.

I like to travel light and this is what i was planning to take for evening wear.

knee length denim skirt
white 3/4 jeans
denim 3/4 jeans
linen pants

then i take 10 strappy tops and a cardi

usually take 1 pair of flat shoes and 1 pair of wedges (which i think i will leave out for india)

Would this be enough and is it not to dressy and can i buy nice clothes out there and if so how much?
White jeans may not be the best option - the soil is very red and as it is very dry red dust blows everywhere. Depending on when you are going you may also find demin to be a bit hot. Wedges are not the best for walking there - there are no pavements and the roads have a lot of potholes/dips. I personally "live" in flip flops with fancier ones for the evening.

Can also be sensible to wear longer trousers/skirts in the evening to help keep the mossies at bay - long floaty skirts/trousers are my choice.

Candybabe
did think of that with the white pants.

oh i look daft in long skirts, honest.

so i may just have to have a look around in the sale for some 3/4 pants.
You can get ANYTHING in toiletries and make-up! If you can't get them locally, u will in Mapusa. I go for 2 months every year for the last 10 years and used to take a case of toiletries. Now don't bother, just get them when i get there.
Hey! KJF! No comment on the make-up!! :lol:
Hi Chris,

Just don't bring your Saints shirt :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mike
Of course and my saints beach towel, sunglasses, beachbag, baseballcap, ipod with nice saints cover.

so i'm sure you will know me when we meet.
Hi Chris

I thought i might get a reply on that one.

Mike
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.