Spain - Costa Blanca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Blanca.
The 1euro pints are normally awful!

I disagree. Don't know where you've been drinking, but there are some very nice €1 pints to be had.
found the 1euro pints were ok even better than some of the rubbish they try and serve you over here at £2.40 a go and never had a hang over once not like i had today with the brittish beer :oops: :oops:
I seem to remember that the "Black Chicken" (next door to Palladium) is 1E for a pint. Think the Cumberland Bar have a happy hour or ten as well!
I'm not a fan of th 1E pints, it probably depends on your standards. Personally for me, the best pints are in the good old Spanish bars (i.e - not those British branded) and the Belgian bar on the edge of the old town. A sensational offering
What also gets me is the difference in the price of a cup of coffee over there. It's almost £2.00 in a Costa Coffee (here) whereas it's as cheap as 60/70pence in Spain. I dunno where they get their prices from over here. We're the fools for paying for it.
With regard to suggestions that Benidorm has been quieter than normal, figures just released show that tourist numbers from the UK to the Costa Blanca rose by just over 20% in July, compared with the same period last year.

Hopefully we may see a further breakdown of those figures, regarding how they relate specifically to Benidorm. But I have not been aware of any comments from local hoteliers that business is down, in fact trade associations are expecting that tourist figures will show an increase right through until the end of September.

David :wave
Duty Free bar has a pint of Amstel for 1 euro or a bottle for 60 cents

Wooky Hollow 2 has Estrella for 1 euro or 50 cents a bottle.

When we went in April (which we do each year) it was less packed than the previous years, but speaking with people who have been in the main summer months have told me it was packed :?
We were there (levante area) in early July & found the place to be buzzing, hard to find a seat in Wheeltappers, Stardust ect...
Just returned to miserable blighty after two weeks of unbroken sunshine :(
The last week in August the "English" bars seemed a bit quiet (well by Benidorm standards!) but the town was actually packed. The change on previous years is that it was packed with more Spanish holidaymakers than I've ever seen there before, finding parking spaces was a nightmare. We went to Tapas Alley about 9pm one evening and literally couldn't find a space to eat (so if you plan a visit get there about 7pm before the Spanish go out to eat). The second week many of the Spanish went home and a large number of new Brits arrived as the prices drop then. The big cabaret bars (Wheeltappers, Stardust, Town) were then absolutely packed.
The bar prices don't seem to have gone up since last year (maybe they are finally getting the message) and we found one real oddity, the Wheeltappers, which is quite dear when the cabaret is on in the evenings, had the England game on big screens on Saturday afternoon and were selling "Carling" for 80 cents a pint, which is about 55p!
I have been to Benidorm three times this year, and am going again next month. What I have noticed is a definate increase in Spanish visitors, obviously mainly in the Old Town, and Poniente areas. These areas are as busy as usual. The Hotels too seem to be attracting as many visitors as ever. The difference I have most certainly noticed is that there are not as many people frequenting the more English style bars and clubs. This could be for a couple of reasons, maybe people are trying out the more Spanish areas that Benidorm has to offer, or, and this is probably more likely, is that more and more hotels are now going All Inclusive, this just simply has to have an effect on the number of people out drinking/eating of an evening, and would help explain why tourist numbers are up, but bar/restaurant takings are down. All Inclusive is a good idea for some people and maybe certain destinations, but in the long run, cannot be any good for a resort as a whole!

Best Regards - Taggy :)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.