Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
railway journey
8 Posts
Was thinking of doing something like that nyself this time. Hope someone can help
You could also take a look at http://www.seat61.com

You can find info on this site for most train journeys in the world.We have used it many times.The guy who owns it is called Mark Smith and he is an Ex British Rail employee.Guess what his hobby is ? Yes Trains.

Ian
The nearest station to Mapusa is Thivim and the station code is THVM. It is 12kms away from Mapusa.
pieeater1uk wrote:
looking to have a mini adventure on the local railways next year with just a short journey from mapusa stn to margao then onto calem passing dudhasager falls on the way and then back again but i cannot find time tables that i can access with station codes it is so frustrating to say the least any help out there :cheers

The station near the Falls is Kulem in the timetables (Hindi), it's Colem in Konkani. Code is QLM.

There are three local trains each day a day from Vasco da Gama via Margao to Kulem. Running each way, roughly starting each way around 06:00, midday and 17:00. They are often difficult to find on-line as they are local trains without reservations. Train numbers are 371SW to 376SW. Kulem is where the 4-wheel drive jeeps start from to take you into the Park and the Falls. The train timings are not very good for this because you either have a quick trip with a eye on the time or have to wait around a long time.

BUT these trains are to Kulem village only and don't go beyond the station up the hill and across the Falls. To cross the Falls you need to travel further - to Castle Rock or Londa Jn. This is a little more difficult as there are only a few trains and they are long distance ones that only run on certain days of the week, plus many of them run at night. It took quite a bit of research (which produced contradictory information) to find that a return trip is(was) possible to Castle Rock on two days a week when there are trains both ways in daylight.

One source of confusion is the listing of the running days of trains - they are often quoted, but not always, as the day of the week they start their journey. For long distance trains this may be the day before (or sometimes two days) and they arrive in Goa one or two days later. I usually find it best to go to a station on a day before I travel and check it again there.

I've been on the Local to Kulem several times but finally last year I did the trip to Castle Rock. I took the morning 8048 Amaravati Express to Castle Rock on a day when the returning 8047 was due to come the other way about an hour later. The journey up and down the hills is spectacular. When I got to Castle Rock (a small village with nothing other than railway yards and railway staff accomodation), I found my return train was running over 4 hours late (it was at the end of a long journey from Calcutta). So I had to sit it out, waiting nearly 6 hours on the platform at Castle Rock. Still, it was a fun day out but I realise that this would not be for everyone.
thanks goeff great info we are there for 4 weeks next year so time to explore :cheers
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.