Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
I was curious to read why you wouldn't go back to Olu Deniz as thats my favourite place.

The best all inclusive hotels are in the Antalya, Belek or Side area. We have stayed at some fabulous 4 & 5*hotels in Belek eg Cornelia Deluxe - Cornelia Diamond - Letoonia Golf. All are fabulous for food, service and facilities. They have childrens clubs and activites organised all day long. The entertainment at night is also very good with shows, bands and dancing.

At Belek the town is a little way away from the hotels which line the beach front and there is little outside the hotels that you could walk to. Side may be different as I havent stayed there. There are plenty of places to vsit in that area but you would need to go on arranged trips or hire a car.
Thanks dadooronron,we stayed at Belcekiz beach at Olu Deniz and although it was a very nice hotel we found it too clicky with guests that return each year.The sunbed race was an absolute joke with people waiting inline at 7-00am for the barrier to be lifted by the grinning pool workers.Also didnt find the hotel that kid friendly and many of the "regulars" moaned about the noise from the kids in the pool.The rooms also were tiny and not the best but its just somewhere to sleep I guess but the sofa bed was rock hard and a nightmare to sleep in.The rest of the hotel,staff and food were wonderfull as was the small resort.I would go back on a couples holiday but wouldnt take my child as there wasnt a lot going on for him.Just come back from holiday village Majorca and that was great but dont fancy holiday village again,would like a decent family hotel.Thanks for the info and please keep any recommendations coming.
Try Club Julian in Icemeler.
A little further ouit.Though ideal for your 9 Year old.
There is a Dolmus that passes frequently.
Lovely Pool/accomodation.
in reply to your holiday marmaris mehtap hotel good with kids right on beach bar all along the front entertainment at hotel every night good all round holiday :sun2
Trouble is, ur gonna find alot of hotels very clicky ie: regular customers.
The sunbed thing too, we are worse than the Germans at that, and thats saying something!. People r pathetic wanting to go down and lay towels at some stupid hr like 7am, sending their husbands down and then dont sit on the beds till lunchtime. Hotels r at fault, they should put a stop to it, full stop.
It would not put me off going to Olu Deniz though - just try another hotel. :(
Please don't post in phone text style as people with sight problems find it difficult to read. Thanks :tup
I'm also interested why you won't go back to Oludeniz, but actually, I agree with you!!!!

We've just got back, and although we found the area to be very pretty, the pestering still got to us. You can either take it, or you can't, and we couldn't. It was just as bad as we remembered it to be in Kusadassi 3 years ago, if not worse!!
We were conned out of our money twice, being severely overcharged for a couple of tacky fake label beach towels at Fethiye market, despite haggling down the price twice, we still ended up paying 100tl.

We also got dragged into a shop selling Turkish delight, and sweet gifts in Fethiye.
A young lad approached us asking us if we were British. Stupidly, we said yes, and he asked us why not so many people have holidayed in Turkey this year. As we were explaining the recession to him, another young man came across the road with a tray of refreshing apple tea, and offered us some. We were soon practically dragged into the shop, where the door was closed behind us, and we found ourselves seated, and being given the hard sell tactics by 3 young men. We felt very intimidated, and at times scared, and we parted with 50tl for a gift pack of fruit tea's with 2 small glasses,mainly just to get out of that shop. We later saw the same pack for 10tl in another shop. :cry

I vowed I wouldn't buy from a shop where items weren't pre priced, or eat at a restaurant where they pestered us to go in, and I actually
LOST WEIGHT during my 2 week holiday, and eating mainly at Josephs, or Buzz bar in Oludeniz, or the Solo bar in Ovacik, as none of these bars had someone standing at the entrance trying to drag us in!!
We still managed to get through £1400 in 2 weeks, and the spending started even before we got off the plane!!
I just wish I'd have gone with gut instinct and gone to Kefalonia, but at least we've learned something.........
WE JUST DON'T LIKE TURKEY!!!!!
We DID manage to have a few good times however, Carole &Tayfun's cruises were delightful, especially Saklakent and the trout farm, and the sunset cruises.

I'm off to Portugal for a week on Monday, to get over my 2 week ordeal in Turkey.
I know we won't get pestered there!!! :tup
I'm afraid the "Where are all the English this year" is just a line to engage you in conversation. It sounds like sincere interest but quickly changes into a sales pitch. You can't blame them for trying but you need to be a bit firmer about smiling and walking on. Once some folk stop to talk, they find they can't get away and basically buy something (in effect pay) to get away. It's nice to be nice but I'm afraid that you can be too nice and then get taken advantage of.
Hi Clarky,Have you had a look at the Hotel Emre Beach Marmaris (thomas cook)
we have booked there for next year bsully
Both of my recommendations are B & B and are in Altinkum. The first is Kusmez Hotel which looks out on Second Beach. My second is Panormos Hotel which is a twenty minute walk from the beach but dolmus pass by all the time as the hotel is beside Attaturk Boulevard. See my hotel reports for further information.

Les
I visited a few resorts last week and was astounded at Olu Deniz, it was packed full of Brits and when walking down the main street we didn't hear one Turkish voice or any Turkish music. Worst of all the prices were so high, higher than meals in pubs in UK. We asked one waiter why the prices were higher than anywhere else we have visited in Turkey. He said it was because it was a very famous place full of foreigners and so they could charge higher prices. Then we went on the beach and 2 sunbeds and a parasol were 18 lira. Despite the crowds in the town the beach was almost empty and I'm not surprised with those prices. We only spent 2 days there and so it was ok to pay for the sun beds but if I'd been there for longer we wouldn't have paid it. The beach is very beautiful but we visit other very beautiful places and everything is much cheaper. I won't be returning.
Hi Clarky

I think it may be worth looking at Icmeler. Marmaris can be 'in your face'. Icmeler is quieter but still close enough to Marmaris for you to visit. The harbour is well worth the trip. There is a dolphinarium and an ice rink half way between Icmeler and Marmaris which could appeal to your 'youngster'. Can't comment on all inclusive as it's not my style of holiday.

The sunbeds in Icmeler are 5tl for two beds and an umbrella. Much cheaper than Olu Deniz where it was 6tl for each bed and 6tl for the umbrella - a grand total of 18tl - when I went in 2009.

Also, as you have a young family, the music in Icmeler is turned off at midnight (you can still drink after that though).

On the down side, the transfer from Dalaman to Icmeler is between one and a quarter hours upwards, depending on the type of transfer you have.

I would suggest you read the resort reports on this and other websites and then decide.

Patsiej
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.