Spain - Costa Del Sol/Gibraltar Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Del Sol.
Hi

I would recommend Malaga - the hop on-hop off city tour bus; it's an excellent way to see the city. I never drive abroad (I like a glass of wine!) and I do believe there is a bus from Mijas to Malaga or, you could always get the train rather than driving; you can then sample the tapas bars without worry. The city tour bus is close to Malaga railway station. Gibraltar is worth a day - although I feel once you have seen it, you have been, so to speak - whereas Malaga you will want to go again and again. Hope you have a lovely time - Mijas is lovely.
If your hiring a car theres plenty of options within a couple of hours drive. Close to mijas theres marbella,s old town around plaza de naranja, and puerto banus. Only 5 miles inland from the N340 is the small village of benahavis, 15 miles from estepona is casares which is one of the most photographed villages in spain. 11 miles from marbella is the typically spanish village of istan a small moorish hamlet with a small plaza, theres 17 fountains and the ruin of an old moorish castle. A bit further out 40 miles from marbella is the village of gaucin. Ronda is a must see pleasant scenic drive and some good shopping, tapas bars, and the old bullring as well as the deep tajo gorge and old part. Ive also done antequera, sevilla, granada for the alhambra palace, nerja, frigliana, and the montes de malaga. Another close village 5 miles from marbella through woods and thickets is ojen. Quite a few places to see and some typical spanish culture.
Try this link: http://www.andalucia.com/province/malaga/ojen/home.htm click on the links on the places on the left hand side. Hope you find something to suit.
Thanks for the replies.
Sunnysusie, if we go to Malaga we will try the bus or train, because like you, we also enjoy a glass or two of wine & the rich Spanish reds are my favourite.
We'll hopefully hire a car or bike as well and check out some of the places colinandrew have mentioned. It sounds like there is plenty to see. Mind you I'll have to fit in a wee bit of chillin out at the pool too. Can't wait..
Thanks again.
Gail & Ray
I am sure you will have a really good time - I think the hop on hop off bus is a great idea; you can then decide whether to go back to the city for a longer period. I have done it in various places - Florence last year - only there for a day as we were at a wedding in Tuscany but it was lovely to have a taste of Florence. I have done various places abroad and even Edinburgh and Bath over here.

Enjoy and report back when you have been.
I hated Malaga but loved the Lakes.
I'm not into noisy traffic and building work while on holiday.
Ardeles Lakes is the most beautiful place.
I have photos if you want a look PM me.
We stay in Mijas pueblo every year.
There are some lovely villages to visit
Monda is lovely
Ronda
Cordoba
And many many more..as already mentioned by other members
Benalmadena village although when we were there in June there was a lot of building going on, replacing the roads
We drive around and just stumble on the most lovely places.
Even after years ,we are still find new places.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.