Greece - Corfu Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Corfu.
Kinda depends on what floats your boat, but here are a few ideas:

Corfu town. If you like castles it has a couple of stunnas. And it's a get a very sophisticated Italian ambiance partly due to the fact that the core of the town was laid out and built when Corfu was part of the Venetian Empire.

Paliokastritsa on the West Coast. Wuoldn't want to stay there, but it has stunning scenery. Well worth a day trip. However, it's a huge shame to just visit Palio and miss out the nearby ruins of the castle of Angalocastro (sorry - can't be bothered to look-up exact spellings). This place has absolutely amazing views - a real breathtaker. It can be a pain to get to. The roads are winding and narrow and there's a steep walk once you reach the car park, but if you're a reasonably competent driver and averagely fit you should be ok. Parts of the site are not recommended for vertigo sufferers.

If you're looking for a special meal, try Agni Bay which is around 10 miles south of Kassiopi. There are three extremely high quality but reasonably priced restaurants down there (and very little else). The views over to Albania are great, and the views back inland are even better. The beach is pebble but otherwise extremely pleasant. Great for lunch or in the evening.
  • Edited by Rich C 2005-09-22 15:04:20
Graham, if it's just the one then it has to be Corfu Town. Wonderful place and so many places to see, visit and enjoy. Get a decent guide book and enjoy.
Thanks Magster and Rich C for the info :thanks

We will try and get as much done in the week as we can.

Graham 8)

Ps thanks for the info about a special meal at Agni Bay
Definitely Corfu Town!

Walk through the market behind the new fortress and admire the wonderful displays of fruit & veg and fresh fish. Find out about Corfu's history with a visit to the old fortress. Wander around the narrow streets and alleyways of the old town looking for souvenirs and photo ops and have a lazy lunch on the Liston watching the world and cruise ship passengers go by.

Wish I was there :cry:
Thanks xenosuk, we will have a wander around the old town, Corfu towns sounds lovely.

:hyper We will he going in 12 hours :hyper

Graham :wave
Must agree with other people Corfu Town is lovely so much to see/do/ and learn about Corfu as there are some wonderful parts as well as tourist areas which are best left alone as some are not very Greek.
pojo
Graham

Nice to see you're back. Come on then, tell us where you ended up.

We're off in two weeks time and could do with some recommendations ourselves.
Hi Rich C

As so many people had suggested Corfu town we decided that would be our first visit.

As the weather looked so lovely we thought it would be pleasant to take a boat in to Corfu, so we left Kassiopi on a very sunny and pleasant day, however within 20 minutes the sky was black and the Greek God Zeus was throwing everything he had at us,
everybody on board was forced down below and even with the crew trying their best, the majority of people on board were very wet with the waves coming in to the boat :shock:
I think there were a few people extremely happy when we eventually made it in to Corfu.

The remainder of that afternoon & evening continued with a most impressive thunder storm, heavy rain and strong winds.
We managed to get a meal at the Liston and have a very short and wet wander around the old town. So unfortunately Corfu town, although very nice turned out to be a bit of a wash out (so were we by the end of the day)
The weather was so bad we had to wait on busses to take us back to Kassiopi as the boats were unable to return :cry:

The following day again looked lovely so we had decided to get the bus back to Corfu town :tup but as we were waiting for the bus it got a bit overcast, so we decided against going, this turned out to be a good choice, as we were again struck by a huge thunder storm, which lasted until late evening :tdown
The following day we took an all day boat trip to Parga on the mainland (we are going there next year) and the island of Paxos, both of which are very lovely, it is typical that the day we were off the island the weather was gorgeous :shrug

We managed to cross over the mountains inland (there is some fantastic scenery on these mountain roads) and go to Palaiokastritsa,
which is a very pretty headland with a couple of crescent shaped bays, after a light lunch we made it (eventually) to Angelokastro :wow I am really pleased you mentioned this, what fantastic views from the fortress, just don't go to near the edge of the cliffs.

We never managed to get for a special meal at Agni, the evening we were going there I must have upset Zeus again and he was once more venting his anger :roll:

Although the weather wasn't always great, and the airport is a nightmare I must say that these minor drawbacks were more than made up for by the very friendly locals, stunning scenery etc

We had a fantastic holiday and will definitely be going back, hopefully for longer, and we will be able to do the things we said we would do but didn't or that were restricted because of the weather.

Graham 8)
Glad you had a nice time in spite of the weather. We will be going to Kassiopi for the first week of the new season (start of May). I hope that Zeus will be kinder to us as we celebrate our silver wedding.
THe Achillion Palace is worth a look as well if you like a spot of history. Great views from here as well.

Jules
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.