Greece - Crete Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Crete.
Do you have your accommodation name or is it allocated on arrival ?

Rethymnon is quite a big town / resort.

Unfortunately, there are hotels which are along the coast, and that are several miles outside Rethymnon, but are still classed as Rethymnon.

However, I wouldn't panic too much as often these hotels are serviced by local or hotel buses so I can't see that you would be left entirely stranded.

:roll:
Thanks, I have been looking for a named hotel/apartment, but it may have to be allocated on arrival. thats why I was a bit worrried about the size of the place, as you said all the ad's say 'Rethymnon area'. We have friends who stayed in Adele a few years ago and they said it was nice. I think their apartments were also called Adele something. Any info on that area would be great. Or another area you recommend. Also any idea what weather/crowds are like in September. Thanks.
Rethymnon is very nice but does sprawl along the coast - public beach. It then is a series of villages.

I stayed at Platanes a few years ago and had the best of both worlds. Not too noisy or busy in a village type area but with really good transport links into town. The only problem is the cost of the transport which will increase as you move further away from town.

September should be a settling down period after the busy August days. I tend to find people are a bit more relaxed - tired? It will be quite busy but not so busy you feel you need to get away. There will always a seat in a taverna for a welcoming drink.

The weather will be fine. The extremes of heat should have gone but it will still be pleasant. You may need a jumper or cardigan (thin one) for late evenings
Thanks Rob, am going to have a little search around, see what I can find on Platanes.
:D
I worked in the Platanes a few years ago so I know the resort very well, I'm also off out there in october so if you need any help in choosing accomodation just ask!!
Hi Suo,
We stayed in Rethymnon 2 years ago & loved it. The old town is great for strolling about in esp late at night after you've eaten. Lots of shops to browse & loads of restaurants. I don't know if you are travelling as a family or as a couple, but I would recommend the Hotel Ideon if it's an adult holiday. It is located in a perfect location at the harbour just beside the old town & bars & restaurants. You are right in the middle of everything, but it was very quiet. It has a small pool & a good buffet breakfast & rooms are very clean & adequate. (you can see it on the web I'm sure)
The beach is about 10 min ( max) walk if you prefer to swim at the sea. We would certainly return to this hotel if we go back to Rethymnon. I much preferred it's location to the long strip of hotels along the beach.
Olympic holidays featured it in their brochure, but it also attracted business people, so there was a nice mix of guests. Hope this helps. Wish I was going back!! :wink:
Hi Suo,
We stayed in Rethymnon 2 years ago & loved it. The old town is great for strolling about in esp late at night after you've eaten. Lots of shops to browse & loads of restaurants. I don't know if you are travelling as a family or as a couple, but I would recommend the Hotel Ideon if it's an adult holiday. It is located in a perfect location at the harbour just beside the old town & bars & restaurants. You are right in the middle of everything, but it was very quiet. It has a small pool & a good buffet breakfast & rooms are very clean & adequate. (you can see it on the web I'm sure)
The beach is about 10 min ( max) walk if you prefer to swim at the sea. We would certainly return to this hotel if we go back to Rethymnon. I much preferred it's location to the long strip of hotels along the beach.
Olympic holidays featured it in their brochure, but it also attracted business people, so there was a nice mix of guests. Hope this helps. Wish I was going back!! :wink:
Hi!
I am going to Rethymno next week and I have found many informations about it, and Crete in general. You can see a lott about it in http://www.tripadvisor.com choose Rethymnon forum. You can ask Albertdiver anything, he lives in Rethymno.
A.
hi....what are the motakis village apartments like in platanes?? think these were also called tefon or bueno apartments at one satge
we have reviews of the Bueno aparthotel in the hotel review forum crete section

wizard
We are staying in Platanes, Eveline apartments and we are worried that it describes the place as being near a busy road. This will be our first trip to Crete as we have always stayed on the smaller greek islands. I hope we won't find it too hectic for us. Anybody stayed at Eveline apartments. We leave 10th Sept for 2 weeks. We are a couple aged 59-63.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.