Greece - Rhodes Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Rhodes.
They also offer package holidays which include entry to all shows and additional events such as the opening night party and beach bbq. All info via http://classicrocktours.com/
PS the dates are currently under discussion by the organisers.

It will still be that week - but apparently the friday night clashes with an England world cup match and the tuesday clashes with a Greek world cup match.

Personally, I see no clash as I hate football with a passion. However, I am aware that I may be in the minority here :think

Dave

PPS. Marcus, I have booked with classicrocktours - but didn't want to advertise ;)
I'll be there too Dave but I've not booked through the website as i'm only doing a long weekend. The change in dates isn't great for me as I've planned my flights around the Friday/Sat shows but they've really got to go with the majority I guess :sulk

I'm told there's another new act signed up for 2010, The Bohemians - a Queen tribute.
Yes - 2 new bands this year

The Bohemians who, going by discussion on the Facebook group, are pretty good

and LiveWire an AC/DC tribute.

I went on a long weekend from Turkey this year, and missed the Floyd night coz it was on the tuesday. That is why I decided to go with the package

Dave
Marcus - just received the following in an email:-

Due to clashes with World Cup games involving both England & Greece we have decided to provisionally re-schedule the week's events as follows :

Sat 19 June St Pauls Bay with The ZZ Tops, A Foreigners Journey & The Bohemians. 7pm - 2am ( DJ 7 - 8pm )

Sun 20 June St Pauls Bay with Are You Experienced, Letz Zep & Live Wire. 7pm - 2am ( DJ 7 - 8pm )

Mon 21 June Ancient Amphitheatre with Think Floyd. 8 - 11.15pm ( DJ 8 - 9pm )

As you say - not good for you!!

Dave
Not ideal but not too bad as it happens. The two I was most hoping to see were the ZZ Tops and The Bohemians so that's sorted!

To be honest I'm just happy to be squeezing in an extra few days in Lindos :sun2
Hello - you both sound like experts in this event! :) I've booked for Lindos for a week from 16 June, to coincide with Rhodes Rock. It's my first time in Lindos. Didn't book with classic rock tours, though. What's the situation regarding the BBQ, opening night party etc? Can anyone buy tickets or is it just for those who have booked the package?

Cheers
This is my third year - if that makes me an expert then I'll continue :rofl

The opening night party and beach barbecue are only available by booking through Elaine and Eddie at Classic Rock Tours. The saturday, sunday and monday night tickets can be ordered through Classic Rock Tours or purchased in Lindos at Socrates Bar. You may also be able to get admission on the gate but as they have had to add extra hotels and studios to cater for increased numbers on the package I would definitely contact Elaine and Eddie. They can be contacted through the classic rock tours website or they also have a Rhodes Rocks group on facebook.

I think what has made it even more popular this year has been the tie-in with Planet Rock radio and they have run massive advertising campaigns. Also one of their DJs is the DJ for the weekend.

Where are you staying in Lindos??

Dave

:offtop Marcus - having read other posts on the site, are you still going to be able to go this year??
Hi Dave,
Yes i'm still going to Lindos as planned. We should have been going for my Mum's 60th In May and though her doctor won't let her travel yet she's very much on the mend, so we're still going and she's enjoying a few days away in this country. We're hoping to have the family holiday planned either later in the year or around her birthday next year.

For the Rock Festival i'm staying at Erato just behind Yannis Bar. Thursday to Sunday so I'll only get the first show but not too bothered, it'll be good just to catch up with friends.

Dianne,
It's all been said by Dave really though you will also be able to buy tickets for the shows from Yannis Bar this year.
Many thanks both

I had planned to buy tickets for the shows when I got there but might e-mail classic rock tours and buy in advance, now. Just wondered if there was anything else I could go to. I'm staying just up the hill from the village at Caesars Gardens. As I said before, its my first visit to Rhodes, (although I've been to Poros, Lesbos and Corfu so no stranger to Greece) so any tips much appreciated.
Sorry - I forgot about Yannis Bar. There is also a rumour that Kolossus Bar are also getting heavily involved this year so they may have tickets as well - but I do think you are better contacting Classicrocktours just to be sure.

I've not been to Poros or Lesbos but I've been to Corfu and much prefer Rhodes. I always hire a car when on Rhodes and travel all over so I can always find something to do. I would suggest a visit to Falaraki and if you don't hire a car there is a bus that runs between the two. I would also consider a trip to Rhodes town if you can (again a bus is available).

But aside from Lindos two of my favourite "chillaxing" (still not sure if I like that word) places are Stegna and Haraki - and you can't easily get to either without transport.

As you can see, Dianne, we are a friendly bunch on here - so don't be afraid to keep asking :D

Dave
I'll drop an e-mail to classicrocktours, although I'm sure there will still be tickets available when I get there on 16th June.

Well it sounds like there's lots of places to see on Rhodes, but I'm only there for a week so maybe not long enough to experience everything and still get a suntan and enjoy the live music. I won't be hiring a car as I've had some pretty awful experiences of Greek roads - although by all accounts Rhodes isn't too bad and boasts more tarmac than most places. However, I'm still traumatised by Corfu's dirt tracks and lack of signs :yikes so will stick to buses and taxis, I think.

I like the idea of a trip to Symi Island - it sounds lovely and I enjoy being on the sea. Can you recommend a particular trip?

I think the only other thing I would like to know about is the temperature. I'm expecting very hot weather and packing factor 30 - sensible or wimpish? :sun2
Hello right about the temperature in June. Sensible about factor.
Book your Symi trip with one of the agents in Lindos.
Its a longist day.Boats leave Rhodes Town at 9am & arrive back there about 6pm
You only actually get to stay on Symi for 3-4 hours.There is a short stop at a monastery.
As Tpebop says - the heat will hit you as you get off the plane so pack factor 20 at least.

I plan on visiting Symi as well this time, as everyone seems to rave about it - just not decided when yet. Is it possible to book just the boat and Symi and make your own way to and from the port?

Roads on Rhodes are nowhere near as horrendous as those on Corfu as Rhodes, in general, isn't quite so mountainous. You do have to watch out for bikes and mopeds though!!!! However, if I'm going somewhere you want to go to you are more than welcome to a lift.

Dave
If you've got a car then you can just pick up a ticket on the day Dave. Boats leave around 9am though I'd make sure you set off early as I hear the roadworks on the the main coast road are worse than ever this year.

Might run into you at Rhodes Rock. As it's my second trip and only three weeks after the first, look out for a guy with white blonde hair and a VERY dark tan!
Hello the road works go from Faliraki to Tsambika .Quite some distance.
Beware of uneven road surface/ pot holes in places especially in the dark.Afandou is bad at the moment.
Although the works go on for a lot of kilometers, traffic does generaly keep moving.
Many thanks for the offer of a lift, Dave. I'll PM you with my mobile number before I go and perhaps we can meet for a beer when we are in Lindos. I'd be happy to contribute towards the cost of the transport in return for not having to drive if there's somewhere we both want to go.

I've e-mailed classicrocktours about the tickets so I'm on the way to getting that sorted. Just been out today to buy a karaoke machine so I can practice my lyrics for singing along at the festival. I sing for pleasure but not usually rock music - I'm more into soul and gospel. Tried singing in the style of Alison Krauss last night and failed dismally so will be working on that over the next few weeks.

Thanks again for all your help. :tup
Hi Dianne - OK catch you in Lindos.

I shouldn't worry too much about being note perfect - nobody else is!! (apart from the guys on stage :tup )

@tpebop - are the roadworks worse than last year as I seem to recall having all sorts of works on the go then!!

Dave
Dave. I thought I gave enough info about the road works in my post
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.