Caribbean Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Caribbean
Going in 3 weeks time so will let you know when I return.
Stayed in this hotel in May 2008, it's fantastic. Although the new Riu Palace further down the road is on a grander scale, I much prefered the Riu Palace Mexico in playacar. The rooms are great, if you get the opportunity email the hotel in advance, I did this and got one of the best (normal) rooms there was, on the first floor overlooking the pool and sea (without paying extra). The food is out of this world, being in the Palace you can go to the other hotels but they cannot come into yours, i.e. the Riu Tequila/Riu Playacar/Riu Yucatan.

There are two pools with plenty of sunbeds, no need to reserve sunbeds, just go down for breakfast, a quick stroll and then go and get your towels from the pool hut. Beach area is large as well, plenty of sunbeds.

I would return to this hotel in a shot but we are trying Cuba this year, still tempted to change it though to go back to the Riu but life is too short and I want to see Cuba.

Any questions let me know? :tup
Hiya sutty - was gonna email hotel but didn't quite know which room to ask for. Was thinking about top floor - what do you think of this. Did you ask for room facing pool or just a nice room? Someone else said that rooms facing fountains are also nice. Can't wait now. Thanks Mary
The rooms facing the courtyard are really nice,there is usually a supplement for these rooms, i e-mailed the hotel and was given what i asked for, without having to pay. Our friends also got one facing the courtyard, and limited sea view, without e-mailing, and were given gifts to bring home from the hotel manager. It is a fantastic hotel, the service is outstanding. We are going to Mexico again in May, however we are going further south this time just for a change. I can bet i wished i had stayed in Playacar.
The location is fab & being part of the group is a big advantage. We stayed in the TEquila, but because of a problem we encountered we were given a free night at the Palace. I must say the only advantage we saw, was the waiter service, which meant no queueing at the bar. Even though the food was superior - ie more steaks salmon etc, we found the food to be so -so. The entertainment was ok. We went to all the hotels in the group and found that everyone flocked to the Tequila at night. If you like to be waited on hand and foot though The Palace was the place to be. Have a great holiday - you're in a fab place.
Hi Helen, yes everyone did flock to the Tequila in the evening, we did too. However it was nice that you had the best of both. The Tequila was a great hotel and we noticed a much younger crowd there that were having a great time. We liked all the Riu hotels, but we were pleased with our choice of the Riu Palace, i can imagine we would have said that about any of the hotels had we stayed in them. The year before last we stayed in the Iberostar Tucan and had a fabulous holiday, our room was beach front and i would have gladly stayed there again. The reason we chose the Riu last year was because of being able to use all the Riu hotels, we loved it.
It's a great chain Caroll & I'd gladly go to one of their hotels again. Having chatted with the bar staff though, I now Know that the chain is American. As the hotels are AI ,nothing actually goes into the pockets of the Mexicans. If I could afford it I would go SC somewhere and put money into the Mexican economy. As things stand at the moment in Britain ,I'm just looking for a good bargain, and can't afford to stand on principle.
Hiya OAP. I emailed the hotel and said that some friends had recommended the hotel as they had stayed the previous year. I did ask for a pool view but didn't pay any supplement. I am not sure if it was pure fluke that we got the pool view room as it was a sea view room as well. The hotel is only on 3 floors so asking for a higher floor would be fine. The rooms facing the fountains are lovely as well, however be careful, if you get one that is facing the outside (i.e. the footpath between the hotels) the rooms can be a little bit dark. We got speaking with a couple who had checked in the same time as we did, the hated their room saying it was dirty and dark. I couldn't believe this as the hotel was immaculate. With regards to the tequila, the nightlife is a lot livelier than the Palace however we found the Palace adequate (we are a couple aged 35 and 42). You will have a great time and I am envious. I have booked Cuba but not looking forward to it as we had such a great time in Mexico last year. Enjoy your holiday.
Just posted review of this hotel
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.