Caribbean Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Caribbean
Riu Playacaar is directly on the beach and if I remember correctly the Tequila is across the road, but there are 3 Riu hotels and you can use ALL three, apart from evening meal where you have to keep to your own hotel you stay in, keeping the same table (and waiter). But I am not 100% about the name of the other Riu (could be the Yucutan) which is right next door to Playacaar and also directly on the beach, this was a more lively hotel. I'm sure someone will put me right. But we had walkabouts and found all three hotels just as good as the other.
Ops sorry didnt think that the remark was that offensive.
Me neither, but others may have done :wink:
Hi Qatarman,

Dawntra is right the other hotel is the Yucatan.

We stayed at the Yucatan this time last year. Out of the two I preferred the Yucatan. (we had a drink one afternoon at the Tequila, and a look around :!: but i'm glad we didn't stay there)

The Yucatan is right on the beach with about 10 steps down to the sand. The beach was beautiful, the sea was a vivid turquoise and for that reason alone the Yucatan beats the Tequila hands down!!!!

I would say it is a good 5-10 minute walk from the Tequila to the beach.

They and the Playacar are all much the same from what we saw. We could not fault the Yucatan generally, the food was very good, they kept the grounds very nice, the rooms were cleaned to a high standard. The only things that bugged me were the sunbed situation at the Yucatan it was dire, and the hotels public areas (except reception and dining rm) are very open. No air con (the rooms are) - we went last July and the heat and humidity at night when watching a show or having a drink was awful. Serves us right for going then I suppose!!!!!!!!! :roll:

We did a tour of the Riu Palace which is next door but one (if I remember right) to the Yucatan, it was beautiful, I didn't want to go back to the yucatan!!! I would say it would be worth paying the extra to stay there. I think all the rooms are mini suites, split level with sofas and coffee tables. Very, very nice................

Hope this has been some help to you,

Daisymayx
My sister in law has stayed at all 3 hotels and preferred the Tequila. We are also returning there for a 2nd time on Aug 1st. Yes the Yucatan & Playacar are on the beach but it is only 5 minutes under a leafy walkway, or you could jump on a little shuttle. Most were of the opinion that the Tequila had the best entertainment at night. There was also no problem with the sunbeds. What I didn't like about the 2 beachfront hotels was that many people from the beach used to walk up to the swim up bar for a drink and then carry all the sand into the pool with them. Each hotel's entertainment area is basically the same, mostly outdoor and yes at peak times the humidity is very high. All the more reason to have a couple of extra bevvies to keep cool. :glynis :sun
One thing that puts us off the Tequila is a post on another forum that states the sunbeds were in the shade most of the day and there wasnt enough room to get them into the sun is this correct?????? Also looking at the Palace it seems to be more for al a carte food we prefere buffet.
A few years ago we stayed in the Tequila a few weeks after it opened and never had a problem with sunbeds being in the shade (unless of course you wanted to put one in the shade). Our friends were in the Yucatan and of the two we all enjoyed the entertainment in the Tequila better. Both the Tequila and Yucatan were buffets when were there and the food quality in both was very high. If you fancy a day on the beach then it's really no hassle to walk over the road.
Overall we found the Tequila nicer but it had just opened and I understand that the Yucatan has recently been refurbished.
Never had any trouble with finding a sunny place for the sunbed, although there is shade if needed. Food is still buffet style and is fab.
Hi thank you for all your help we have decided not to go as it seems that it is Spring break time during the dates we were going.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.