Cruises

Discussions relating to Cruising holidays
Our friends did a nile cruise this year and told me that it would have been just about impossible for me to do the one they went on. Firstly I have great difficulty in climbing stairs and most of the river cruise ships don`t have lifts and usually about 4 decks. Also the excursions are unsuitable for wheelchairs. There are some ships with lifts and some with a stairlift between the two top decks so you will have to look on the various companies websites. If you can find one and she is happy to stay onboard rather than do the tours it might be possible. Have a look at Archers Direct.
Hi, thanks for your response. My mother can do stairs thankfully and wont need to use the wheelchair on board the boat, but will need the chair on excursions. I accept there are times when she may not be able to access various bits but she wont need the chair all the time. I will need strong arms to push when necessary...... Thanks for your thoughts
Hi

We did a 3 day cruise between Aswan & Luxor last year. Our first Nile cruise but our 5th time in Egypt and our 2nd time in Aswan.

We went on one of the Presidential Nile cruise boats which was over 3 decks. Entry and exit is by gangplank at each of the stopping places and often the boats moor up alongside each other so sometime you may have to walk through the doorways of each ship if yours isn't on the land side. The gangplanks weren't too steep and they were flat planked with carpet or were of metal.

The Nile experience will still be very good but not sure how much of the Egyptian historical experience will be fulfilled. Many of the temple visits involve going over rough terrain with paved halls worn through over thousands of years of being trampled over. I just discussed your question with my husband and you may find it extremely difficult trying to take a wheelchair to visit some of the temples. Philae Temple is highly likely to be out of the equation as you have to visit by small motor boat and then there are quite number of walls and blocks to climb over within the temple. The terrain there isn't wheelchair friendly - but it's a fabulous temple set on an island so is a "must do". Kom Ombo may be possible although there are a number of steps up to it, they are quite shallow if I recall. The walkway to the temple is paved so possible I believe, as long as you can get some willing helpers. No doubt you will from the shopkeepers who haunt that walkway - but whether you will get away from them is another story!
Edfu temple may be possible with a wheelchair too.
Depending on how long you are cruising - you should be able to do Luxor temple with a wheelchair as it's fairly flat inside. However, Karnak is huge and I doubt you would get round it if you had to push the chair. But, just at the entrance (their is a downhill ramp) and huge columns which will give you an impression of its' size. So, you could probably "do" part of this one but be resigned to the fact you won't see all of it.

I would recommend contacting some of the dedicated Egypt tour companies who can give reliable info on the services available for passengers with walking disabilities. I just found a website that has quite a good video link, which will give you some indication of what you can expect excursion wise http://www.nile-cruises-4u.co.uk/displaymedia.cfm?vid=1

The Egyptians are some of the most friendliest and helpful people we have ever come across. They are lovely and always willing to please, particularly in the hotels and onboard ship. I doubt you would be left to struggle for very long, either on or off the ship.

It would certainly be the trip of a lifetime for you both and will definitely leave you with some great memories! I can't guarantee they will all be good but I do think you would have something to look back on...

Egypt is definitely at the top of our travel list and now we live in Cyprus, it's just so much closer to us - we just can't not "do" it, again and again and again....

Don't rule it out without doing some research first. I hope it comes off for you and you will probably end up being another Egyptophile like us :wave:

Enjoy!

CwB
We cruised with Discover Egypt a few years ago and there was a lady with an electric wheelchair on our boat and the crew helped lift it - and her- on and off the boat and it didn't seem to cause any problems whatsoever....it might be worth giving that company a ring to find out what there facilities are...
Thanks to everyone for your comments which have been very helpful. Mum has booked the cruise and the company we have used - nile-cruises4u.com have been so helpful. They are aware of my mothers "disability" and dont see any massive problems. We will take each day as it comes, do the bits we can and accept there are bits we cant do. We are both thoroughly looking forward to it and am sure whatever happens we will still have an amazing experience. Once again, thanks to all
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.