Caribbean Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Caribbean
To the right (South) of the hotel beaches there is rocky area where our "party" went for a fish. It is quite rocky and so they spent time snorkelling recovering the tackle which got trapped in the rocks.
I don't think most of them bothered to go back. We do have a dedicated fisherman in the party who always insisted he had been and come back before the rest of us awoke!

We also did a deep sea reeling expedition, hiring a boat from a reputable company in puerto aventuras. It was a rainy windy day and whilst they continuously tried to get us to cancel and hence lose the cancellation charges they refused to pull the plug themselves and so we went.
We asked to bottom fish for a while, but although it was agreed it never happened and the boat basically trawled up and down the coast a couple of hundred yards off shore. We caught a couple of Barracudas and the rest were wahoos.

The process was - crew would load the rod and trawl it from the back of the boat. When a bite was detected, one of us was thrust into the chair and handed the rod. It was then our pleasure to reel the line in. When the fish appeared in the water near the boat the rod was taken by a crew member whilst the other crew member landed the fish. Who ever was in the chair was then offered the chance for someone else from the party to take a picture with the fish before it was thrown back or put in the pot.

So it was a bit like deep sea fishing but without the fishing bit.
It was my first and last time!
To add insult to injury, before our time was up a fellow skipper appeared on the horizon having landed a blue marlin. Our captain then immediately turned tail and outran the other to the dock. Early bath time! I actually regretted the small tip I felt duty bound to leave on behalf of the party.
Went out on a shared trip with some Canadians a couple of years ago in March- had the same problem as stevebell - it was very windy and rough - the skipper wanted us to cancel but made it clear that we wouldn't get the ~ $1200 fees back. We went out anyway but only 2 of us fished because the rest of the party were too seasick. We didn't catch anything altho' our companion boat had 2 wahoo. Trip was very much as described - disappointing.Have done similar trips in Cuba and Dom Rep - much the same - won't bother ever again unless its dead calm!! :cry
thanks for the info, unless its flat calm we wont be booking it!!!

J
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.