Tunisia Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Tunisia.
my first time abroad for over 20yrs. we are going to royal kenz in september. do you get a card to show you are AI or have to wear something. im hoping i will have a good time and my hubbie doesnt have to put up with me complaining. thank you
Hi bestiebabe welcome to HT :wave:

I am sure you will have a great time in PEK, the weather should be starting to get back to a nice temperature and not too hot.
The Royal Kenz has just started doing AI and there are a few teething problems so by the time you go it should all be running smoothly hopefully.
You will be located a bit out of the centre of PEK so you can either enjoy a longish stroll or get one of the taxis, if getting a taxi remember to ALWAYS haggle before getting in, if you don't agree with the price walk away, they will come after you.

Have a great time
Graham
Just back from Royal Kenz. The building work is non existent and you really wont notice anything. I saw a man paint a wall but that was about it. The new spa is beautiful and worth a visit and also the new gardens are almost finished and are also beautiful.

There is a fridge in your room which is super and the rooms in general are excellent. Our bathroom was huge but our balcony was on the small side but not too small. The hairdryer isn't great and I did wish I had taken my own. I have thick hair and it did take me a little while to dry it.

The pools are fantastic and we always got a sunlounger. They stack the unused loungers at the pool bar so go and get one if they are none about. Its 1 dinar for a mat but the lounger is free. Same on the beach which is about 5 minutes walk from the hotel.

We were Hb and prices were very reasonable and the food was fantastic. We ate at the hotel everyday and had no complaints other than I am now on a diet because I ate so much! The restaurant is abit of a nightmare as its just not big enough for all the guests and you practically have to rugby tackle a waiter to get a drink....so we used to buy our drink from one of the bars and take it in with us...sorted! We did write this on our review to the hotel that their resturant operation lets them down.

All in all we had a fabulous time, made some very good friends, spent evenings at the hotel and the entertainment is not that bad. The age of the guests is predominantly older but there was alot of younger people there also. The reps commented on how many younger people now go to the hotel. It was a good mix of ages.

PS.....If you are going AI then you might be disappointed. There isn't many drinks on the AI and you don't get snacks between meals and you also have to pay for sun lounger mats, bingo, changing ladies show....to me it isn't a real AI. The hotel has said they will not be doing AI after November 2010. If you are AI you get a band to wear.
Also the food poisioning stories are aload of rubbish. Some people were ill but it was nothing to do with the food in the hotel. The hotel even had their kitchens checked to stop the moaners and they came back clear and then the moaners said it was the hotel pool so the pools were all cleared also. Of course it couldn't have been anything to do with too much sun/alcohol or that nice little cafe they went to for lunch in the resort??? :que

Also with a hotel of almost 900 guests and with half being mature citizens then bugs are going to happen.
Just got back from P E K yesterday afternoon after first time to Tunisia.Imust say i was really suprised at how nice it is.I had these preconceived ideas before going that it was going to be like Egypt,where i did'nt like,but how wrong i was.We stayed at the Maharba Palace and it was lovely.However last week we met a crowd of people on our floor as we were going back to our room.They asked us if the hotel was ok,and we told them it was spot on.They said that they were from the Royal Kenz,but as there was a problem with the food,they had been transferred to the Kanta.They said this hotel was totally unacceptable,so they were then transferred to ours.They seemed happier after we gave them our opinion of the hotel and thanked us for the information.We had no problems with the food,and found it more than acceptable ,but some people who had been going to this hotel for years were saying that the standard of the food had dropped because they had changed the head chef.It must have been absolutely fabulous before,is all i can say.We decided when we were there that we would definately be going back next year,so Tunisia has another convert.
Tunisia has another convert.

Well done Gulliver - it's surprising how many of you we manage to get in the end. :rofl Mind you, it's always people with a sense of adventure who like something different and don't expect a North African version of the Spanish Costas.
A group of moaners moved to the Kanta but we were all glad to see the back of them to be honest. This is one of the problems at the RK and that is the people who jump on the band wagon or listen to silly stories.
This hotel is one of our options we will go Full board if we stay here, what does full board include at this hotel does anyone know??

We're booking with Thomson and It says all inclusive option and underneath says full board...???

http://www.thomson.co.uk/destinations/africa/tunisia/tunisia/port-el-kantaoui/hotels/hotel-royal-kenz.html

Usually full board means all meals/drinks included at meal times isnt it? But then onn the website it sounds as though full board means AI??

Sarah
The hotel Kenz is one of our choices to stay booking next week-Flying July 6th for 1week.

I will be booking through Thomsons and If we decided the RK we will be going FB-usually full board means all meals/drinks with meals yes?

on the thomsons website it only offers HB or FB when booking, but on the hotel details section it says all inclusive option and underneath has full board...selection of drinks etc etc

Isit a FB or AI or are Thomsons labelling it FB because some things arent included in AI package??? Confused!!! What do you get for FB here?!!!

Sarah x
Full board doesn't include drinks or snacks but only the three main meals a day - breakfast, lunch and dinner. You will probably be able to upgrade to AI at the hotel for a supplement.
usually full board means all meals/drinks with meals yes?

No, Full Board is Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner only NO drinks usually included.

This is AI which is your Full Board (3 meals a day) plus selected local alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks through out the day.
Thank you, I got abit confused about it as I noticed people saying they had been all inclusive but didnt have the option to book it on Thomsons only fb/hb :(
Our friends went last August when AI was available.
The AI isnt available this year ,just HB and FB.
How much would I expect to pay for drinks if I Stayed here?

we drink mainly spirits-vodka/martini/malibu, the odd glass/bottle wine and cocktails when out.

Id be booking FB so want to know a rough idea how much we'd need to take spending money wise

Sarah x
last year drinks were reasonable. I think it worked out cheaper than home but depends what you drink. I love Tunisian wine so that was very reasonable and my OH loves the beer which is again reasonable. if you like bacardi then thats not so reasonable. We went HB and spent less than we would have in a normal resort in say Greece or Spain
Hi its been about 3/4 years since we were last at royal kenz. Can anyone tell me do they still provide beach towels? They did the last time. Just don't want to pack my own if they supply :)
Hi,Yes they still provide beach towels for the same old price of 10 Dinars each,get your token from reception as before,which is refundable. :wave:
hi could anyone tell me what time the bars shut in the royal and if any of the hotels nearby have any nite clubs
thanks in advance
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.