Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Rude comments?
19 Posts
Hi i have noticed young indian men looking at me in the past, but to be honest its harmless, you get that in many countries (even the UK) . I do find it a bit intimidating but usually a firm no does the trick. Ive never been on my own, always been with my husband or my dad so that helped. But this year im going with my son and nephew. Men try to take your picture on the beach, i didnt like this so my dad said they can only have a picture if he was on the picture as well, they didnt seem to mind but then a beach shack owner came out, went mad at the man and told my dad they would take the picture back to their friends and say something a long the lines of ''ive slept with this girl etc'' .
Ive never noticed any rude comments, just comments like how are you princess, gorgeous etc, which still makes me feel uncomfortable, but like i say, the same happens in turkey .
I dont think id have minded princess or gorgeous. lol. But these were too rude to post and i think i would have just thought it funny if id have been with friends but it shocked me and i have a barbers and have heard some stuff in my time. Still this was a small minority and it hasnt put me off going back. Have a fab time with your son and nephew. Anna :D
I was in Candolim in January with my wife and two daughters (15 + 18). There were no comments made but I did find some of the Indian lads ogling my daughters on the beach abit of a nuisance. They would stop right by us and were quite deliberate. I wasn't happy with this as no father would be but found a quick comment of 'can I help you' normally did the trick.

:shock:
Found a good Hindi phrase that is used to shoe away beggers but could be of use for this purpose also :

"Maaf Karo" literally means "Forgive me". In this context, this means "Excuse Me", or "Leave me alone, I'm not interested".

apparently it works well for persistant sellers or touts as you are implying that they are beggers and will shame them.
I had a bloke blatantly taking photos of me on the beach. A bloke who was in our company went to him and told him he was getting his policeman friend to him. The bloke literally broke down in tears asking our forgiveness. Our hero then deleted 20 photo's of women tourists in bikini's from his phone
Last season my two nieces came over to visit (aged 13 & 16), they were constantly harassed by a group of taxi drivers in Baga, this was when they were in the company of their Gran. The things that they were saying were really crude. It got so bad that the girls refused to walk past the lane where the drivers congregated.
GFF xx
I understand what you mean about taxi drivers. Last year we stayed at the abalone hotel in Arpora and when we walked out of the hotel there were a group of taxi drivers mivering us. I dont mean generally mivering us to get in their taxi. They were saying really suggestive comments (made me and my friend not want to go out of the hotel without my dad)
They were still mivering when i had my son with us.
We also had some "comments" last year off taxi drivers in Baga who seemed to conregate outside a cafe (can't remember the name of it) Unfortunatly doesn't sound likea one off :cry:
Maybe if a few people spoke to their resort reps about the problem they could have words with the local taxi licencing people and tell them its just not on and as a result their business will suffer? I have seen women travellers slap taxi drivers round the chops before today for such things and they soon look very sorry for themselves although that would be a last resort.
Hi feelthevibe, thats a good idea, its just a shame that if i do tell my resort rep about the problem i dont think anything will be done about it . Im travelling with Jewel in the crown, and they arnt known for listening. They're quite happy to take money off people for booking tours, but completely ignore other guests.
Anyway, back to the question, as i said before a firm no should work, but if they carry on mivering then something has to be done. Although i wouldnt resort to violence. Have you see the prisons in Goa :wink:
You won`t go to prison :lol: its male bravado on their part if they get a slap off a women then in the eyes of most of the local people they thoroughly deserved it. I saw a young Indian lad harrasing a girl at a party once and 3 local lads who were working there gave him a right seeing to, it is not acceptable in India or here for that matter.
If the reps are that useless, the tourist Police are quite approachable, mention it to them, never be afraid to complain loudly if your well within your rights :wink:
Great idea Feelthevibe, i also had a problem with a taxi driver and the hotel took it very seriously. I think i shall have to toughen up and if i have any more comments put them straight. It just wasnt expected and weve travelled alot and never had a problem apart from a pool bar attended that refused to serve me for the rest of our holiday in Egypt because i refused his marriage proposal!!! :oops:
If you have problems with the Abalone boys they are there by permission of Mr Sodders of Renton Manor. Speak to Al the so called life guard of Renton Manor and he will sort it without a doubt. FTV, if I recall you are staying at Renton Manor at the end of the month. May well see you there as we will be visiting Al and the boys for a drink.

Sonofscouse
I`m there from the 24th, if I don`t see you there I will see you at the HT meet up, be nice to put a name to a face 8)
photograph them and tell them that you putting their photo on the internet. along side GG or some other shameful person.

wont stop it but his face should be pay back time.

lez
Up until a few years ago this didnt seem a problem, then in their wisdom the Gov. issued 32000 tourist taxi licences with the result that even at the peak times their is 4 taxis to every tourist. their is no vetting of drivers and they spend most of their day in groups of young men, trying to impress each, other how smart they are. As a result of this, their attitude is in many cases terrible, their touting for fares is becoming a nuisance, and when they get a fare they drive like lunatics in case they migt miss another one This is not a critisism of all drivers, as we all, including ourselves, have a favourite one, who is great, but a general gripe at a Gov. whose individual ministers seem to take actions such as issuing licences, for their own financial gain, rather than whats best for Goa and it,s tourist industry Alan
Wow 32,000 :shock: I think most gripes on this board are down to persistant taxi drivers and beach sellers, maybe the Goan Authorities should take a long hard look at theses problems before it makes people think twice about returning to Goa to spend their money.
There are 2 groups of taxi drivers outside the Hotel Abalone, one group to the right of the entrance of the hotel as you look at it (Joe Boy Sebby etc) and another group who sit on the other side of the road to the Lagoa Azul(about 20 feet away). Don't get them mixed up as the first group are a good bunch of lads whom i've used for a couple of years even though I've not been staying at the Abalone, this is where I hire my motorbike from, these guys don't deserve a bad reputation. The other lot can be a bit cheeky/cocky.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.