Caribbean Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Caribbean
View this thread it has a lot of things written about Jamaica, it's the best place I've ever been.

That link is about Jamaica or Dominican Republic, but you will soon see that many people would recommend Jamaica.

Hope this helps.

David
We were at Riu Negril last September / October and we absolutely loved it. For the reviews look up "Club hotel Riu Negril" not just "Riu Negril". I won't go into too much detail about the hotel as I wrote a review on it which you can read here http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/holiday_truths/hotel_reviews/5319/Club%20Hotel%20Riu%20Negril/ and should cover most things.

Is Jamaica dangerous? It's no more dangerous than London or any other large town or city, you just need to use some common sense as you would in those places. Most of the scaremongering comes from reports about the violence in Kingston, but it is completely different in the tourist areas. Jamaican people are very friendly but most of them very poor. It is quite likely that you will be approached and asked if you "have any bad habits", or want your hair braided, or want a taxi, or look in their shop etc. A polite but firm "No Thanks" is all that's required. At the end of the day they are only trying to feed their families. If you like Premiership football you can chat to them for ages as they are fanatical about it. One thing to do whilst you're in Negril is go to Rick's Cafe to watch the cliff divers and the famous sunsets.

As for the weather, it is quite rare for hurricanes to hit Jamaica but it does happen on occasion. The typical weather in the rainy season is that the sun shines until early afternoon when the black clouds roll over and it bounces it down for about 20 minutes then the clouds disappear and the sun shines again. It's normally all over in an hour or so and another hour after that you can't even tell it has rained. We are actually going to the Riu Ocho Rios 10 days after you go to Negril - we always go at this time of year. One thing to note about the weather, this year is an El Nino year so the weather could be variable but shouldn't be bad enough to spoil your holiday. We were at the Dominican Republic in Feb and the weather wasn't as good as normal. It was still mostly sunny but there were a few more showers than normal.

As for food, the Riu Negril has an extensive range of food in several restaurants from local dishes to international dishes, salads etc. There are also bookable a-la-carte restaurants and a 24 hour restaurant as well.

I'm sure you'll have a great time

Cheers

Keith
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.