DIY Holidays

Discussion relating to DIY holidays
It is actually usually more expensive to book direct with the hotel. Try sites like Travel Republic and Alpharooms for the accommodation.

Hopefully someone will have further suggestions of companies to try.

luci :wave
I second what Luci says. You'll often get a much better deal going through a booking agent. My preferred website is Travel republic but there are lots.
I have booked my flight with alpha rooms Ryan air flight. Paid by credit card.
I need to book a hotel now.
My question.
What happens if the flight is cancelled. Will I lose my money I paid for the hotel.
How likely is it for a flight to be cancelled.
If I now book a hotel with alpha rooms with flight and hotel be atol covered?
Thanks
Why do you think the flight may be cancelled? In the unlikely event that the flight is cancelled, you would still be liable for the accommodation if each was booked separately.

Even if you book the accommodation with Alpharooms, they are still booked as 2 separate elements and not covered by the Package Travel Regulations.

You can read more about ATOL here http://www.atol.org.uk

luci :wave
grayson

did the last line of the last question go a bit wonky? Did you mean "WILL flight and hotel be atol covered" ? If so, if you booked the flight directly with Ryanair the answer is no.

The likelyhood of Ryanair going bust is very, very low. But the chances of them getting hit by external events like ash clouds and ATC strikes is the same as all other airlines on that route. Ryanair (and other scheduled operators) would be more likely to cancel in those events than charter operators doing groups for tour companies. If they cancelled they would be liable to get you on a later (but without deadline of how much later...) flight at no extra fare but you'd have to look after your arrangements whilst waiting.

It is very important that you have the right insurance cover here. It could work the other way - what if you get an email 2 days before you go saying the hotel has burnt down? The hotel isn't liable for your flights. Look for policies that mention DIY travel or Supplier Failure Cover but then read them carefully, some do now mention ash cloud type situations (but make sure it isn't limited to ash!!).

Whilst it's true that you can often get bigger hotels in popular locations cheaper through agents it's worth looking at cancellation rules. With the agent it's probably a no cancellation deal, direct with the hotel you may be allowed free cancellation until close to arrival date (maybe even that afternoon) - sometimes it's worth paying more for that than trying to get it covered by insurance.
I agree with what others have said that it is nearly always cheaper to book a hotel via a consolidator such as Travel Republic, AlphaRooms, Quick Rooms or almost any of the others. Hotels.com is one of the few which does allow you to cancel almost at the last minute without incurring any charges, though they aren't the cheapest company. I actually booked and subsequently cancelled with them on one occasion when I found a hotel I preferred cheaper with another company and there was no hassle at all.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.