Africa/Middle East Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Africa/Middle East inc.Dubai
safety in Kenya
9 Posts
Nadine66,

I was in Kenya (Mombassa) on safari and diving in March this year. Safety wise, you need to be carefull. When you are on safari or in and around your hotel area, you won't have a problem. I felt a little uneasy in Mombassa itself though. It's not that the people are violent or threatening in any way, but crime is a fact of life over there. You have to remember the general population struggle to make ends meet and it's a very hard life. Don't be surprised if people want to trade you for things like t-shirt, shoes / trainers, pretty much anything. It's quite an eye-opener really. All I would say is you'll be more than safe on your safari as it's well set up and security is well catereed for, same with your hotel. You're ok venturing in to some villages although at's advisable having a guide. I'd stay clear of Mombassa itself, with kids personally as it's a very congested place and unless there's something you want to see or somewhere you want to visit, the beach / hotel pool is more attractive. You'll all love the safari, have a look through the pages here as there's loads of information and photos on our photo gallery.

Darren
How old are your children? Some companies won't take very young children on their Safaris and even if children are allowed some of the game drives can be very long and could be very boring for children. Though older children/teens I would think would find the drives very interesting.
As Dazbo says don't be tempted to visit either Mombassa or Nairobi as crime is really a problem and on the increase but the hotels on the beach are usually safe. Most hotels employ guards who patrol the grounds.
hi we went to kenya in feb and i can assure you we never felt worried at all.
the hotel advised you against going to the local village/town on your own but we did go and found all the kenyan people were so freindly not pestering you just a passing hello etc..this was in the daytime mind not night.
ok there proberly is a little crime in the big towns like mombassa but not in the tourist areas.
just dont go flaunting your jewelry and money and you will be fine. :tup
Madasharley

It's good that you felt secure during your holiday but your statement that there is maybe a little crime in Mombassa is very misleading and may lead holiday makers to believe that the city is relatively safe and not take the precautions necessary when visiting. . Far be it for me to discourage people from visiting what is a beautiful country with on the whole friendly people but one shouldn't travel there without being aware of high incidences of crime and violence.
OP was more concerned with the political climate, and there is still some sporadic fighting and violence between tribes who are still unhappy with the results of the election in December 2007 but this is almost all in the areas to the north of the capital Nairobi, nowhere near Mombassa.
  • Edited by Judith 2009-06-06 17:30:15
I have to agree with Judith, it's a lovely country but to be out and about in a major city like Mombassa as a tourist (ie sticking out like a sore thumb) without taking precautions is unwise. Local guides will tell you to make sure all windows are closed and locked while driving through the city in case you get stuck in traffic or at traffic lights to prevent the snatching of bags and other lose items. A little crime is a bit of an understatement realy. As I said before, I wouldn't say it's overly violent and the Kenyan people are lovely generally, but there's lot's of poverty and crime is a way of life for some as they are desperate. I gave away t-shirts and a few other things, what's a few £££ to us when the general population can't afford to send their kids to anything beyond primary education (that's state funded). Secondary education is about £150 per year per child, or about 50% of the average salery according to some I talked to.

Darren
hi i agree there is crime in the citys like mombassa but what i meen is its quite safe to go into the costal villages outside your hotel during the day with no fear of being mugged as long as you use your head and dont wear jewelery or flash loads of money around.
i would not suggest going into the villages at night without a guide or local..
thank you for all your replies, my children will be 14 and nearly 16, so safari is fime for them, my son is wanting to work with animals and is a keen animal photographer so this is why we are thinking of Kenya.
Nadine66 wrote:
my son is wanting to work with animals and is a keen animal photographer so this is why we are thinking of Kenya.

You might find the following post of interest in that case (towards the end): Kenya Advice.

Darren
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.