Cyprus Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Cyprus
Safety in Paphos
10 Posts
While you can never give absolute guarantees, I'd say you'll be about as safe as you would be anywhere in the world. You might come across a few inebriated holiday makers, but other than that you shouldn't have any problems. Even the timeshare touts will have gone to bed by then.
99.999999999999999999999999999998% safe!!!!

I feel safer walking at night-time in Cyprus than I do in the daylight hours in the UK.

Mark
I'd agreee with the above. All I would add is watch out for the boy racers when crossing roads. I know we get them over here, but a minority seemed to use the main road in to town as a race track in the evening. I've seen a few near misses.

Darren
I second edwardes.m's post - I feel safer there than in the UK :cheers
We stayed in the Paphian Bay three years ago and felt quite safe walking into and out of Paphos in the evenings. We really enjoyed walking into Paphos along the sea front path. I think that buses go every ten minutes or so that drop you virtually outside the hotel - just in case you have one too many! Enjoy your holiday, we will be back in Paphos at the end of July and can't wait.
Thanks for the replies, you've all been very helpful. I'm so looking forward to it now and I can't wait either!
As of early June, the seafront path was being dug up at various points, and you couldn't get further along past The Alexander The Great Hotel or The Annabelle, where the contractors had erected full height steel shuttering at both locations. We were told that they intend to widen the normally variable path/track and have a full width, concreted path way all the way from the Porto Pafos (which is still closed) to the Imperial, supposedly with cycle track (wishful thinking) included. At the present it's a mess, and you start the walk towards the harbour end, not knowing if you will find your way obstructed, as many of us found out in early June. It's a shame, as the sand, rickety wooden and grassed sections, made it an varying if not interesting way to get from the hotels to the town.
If you refer to safety against robbery or mugging - then it's probably one of the safest places to be.

If you want to take your life into your own hands by trying to walk along mostly unlit roads with little or no pavements and the idiots who drive on them with no thought about your safety - then you are probably safer trying to cross a road in the centre of Cairo!

It's not uncommon to see vehicles here without all their lights working, no use for indicators, mirrors etc, drinking & driving, speeding, jumping traffic lights, crawling over the stop lines/signs at junctions, ignoring pedestrian crossings, overtaking when there is an oncoming vehicle, undertaking because it suits them. And all the above apply to all residents, not just the Cypriots :que

Just be careful if you decide to walk anywhere in the traffic. Be prepared for all eventualities just as you would if you were driving and if you do walk out at night, carry a lit torch.

Depending when you are coming though, you may find it's too damned hot to want to walk anywhere. The humidity is setting in now and the coolest night temperatures we are getting are around 25 degrees (at about 4am) :yikes

Enjoy!
CwB
We are now back home after spending 2 weeks in Paphos and yes, we did feel very safe walking home late at night.

We only ventured out 3 or 4 times because as CwB pointed out, it was too damned hot to walk anywhere, even in the evenings, which was a shame as we didn't get a chance to venture out and explore as much as we would have liked.

The seafront walk was also out of bounds as popsy said because of building site work.

Still, the plus side is i've got the best tan i've had for years and I didn't put on my usual few pounds because of all the swimming I had to do to keep cool!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.