Other Destinations Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in other destinations. Inc Brazil, Australia, New Zealand.
Have a look at http://www2.salzburg.info - it could be snowy in February, I don't know if it's guaranteed in the town but certainly would be in the surrounding mountains. It's quite a few years since I visited Salzburg, so I can't remember all the details but it is a lovely town and well worth a visit.
We went last year a couple of weeks before Xmas so it was very pretty with all the Christmas markets. The old town is lovely - lots of narrow alleyways crowded with small shops. Wasn't as expensive as we thought it was going to be. We did one day trip with a company which we booked before we arrived to Hitlers Eagles nest and then a saltmine were you have to ware overalls. Nice day out. We satyed for 2 nights/ 3 full days and thought that was about right.

Preferred Prague but definitely liked Salzburg - people were very nice.

We used the site given below a lot for info - even booked our tour from there.

Tracy
Thanks maria and tracey - it sounds lovely for the winter but could you just fly in and wander around from your hotel i.e sights in the old town, walks ,resturants, bars etc or do you really need to go further afield on day trips. We are going to Prague after christmas but i like to do my research early for our next trip. its going to be either Salzburg or Rome :D but i have a feeling that rome is going to be very very busy :( with loads and loads of traffic :(

lyn
Lyn,

you could easily do everything on your own. The old town is very compact and easy to get around - there is also the castle up on the hill top which there is a regular bus to. The bus system is very good - we used it to and from the airport and it was very cheep - two euros each I think.

We stayed at the crowne plaza which was a 10-15 walk from the old town but if you want a small hotel right in town i would say check out the hotel elephant - great location and it gets great reviews.

Tracy
I can't offer much on the subject, as we only went for a day trip last summer, when we were staying in Munich (about 3hrs away by train).

Except that we thoroughly enjoyed it & thought it was a very lovely city. Many sights to see, particularly if you've seen the Sound of Music (I'm told). I don't know about winter, but in summer there were downpours every half hour, the day we visited. You could literally watch the black clouds roll over the mountain & count the seconds before you got soaked.

Also, as has been mentioned, the Eagles Nest is a must see, if you're this close you really should make the effort to get up there. Neuswantein Castle (sp) is also a couple of hours away by train, the one Walt Disney based his on, & where they filmed Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (again, so I'm told 8) )

Hope you enjoy.
Spent a few days there a couple of years ago. My wife was at a confrence, but I managed to keep myself busy for the days we were there. There is a long and steep walk up the side of the valley which gives you spectacular views of the old town, well worth the effort. The castle is also worth a visit - a fenicular railway will take you up there. I also recommend watching the Sound of Music just so you can go to some of the places on the film. There is an official Sound of Music Bus tour which goes to the areas ouside of Salzburg if you really get in to it!

Plenty about Mozart too.

And then there are the cream cakes and sacha torte!
thanks ever so much everyone - i think it sounds lovely - im gonna check out the hotel elephant now :D :D

lyn
Erm.... I don't want to spoil the fun, but I know that 2006 is the 250th anniversay of Mozart's birth, and Salzburg is his "home town".

I know everybody else has said the "The sound of Music" is the thing to do, but there are a few Mozart fans in the world too!

Looking at the website you mentioned, I see his birthday was january 27th :shock: .

Have you checked availability yet?

Of course if you hate Mozart you might want to avoid the town at that time, as there'll probably be Eine Kleine Nachtmusik everywhere!
thanks acorncup - no not into mozart in the slightest so no worries there :D :D . will pick a quite wintery time :D

lyn
What is Salzburg like to visit. Is it expensive to eat and drink.

I'm consdiering visiting sometime this year. What is the best time of year to visit.
Hi,

It's been a few years since I've been to Salzburg and wouldn't like to think you'd act on what could be outdated advice on whether it is expensive or not. However, at the time of my last visit prices were broadly comparable to what you'd expect to pay here in the UK. A decent meal would cost what you'd expect to pay in a similar establishment here, beer was cheaper, local decent wine a little cheaper and imported eg French wine a little more expensive. Trains were cleaner and more relialbe than here and also cheaper. Overall, I'd say that we found Austria not to be a cheap destination but not outrageously expensive compared to home either.

As for the best time to visit it depends on what you would like to do when you're there. If you're into classical music then the festival which takes place each summer would probably be your idea of heaven but if you're not I advise you to steer clear of the last week in July and the whole of August because decent, reasonably priced hotel accommodation will be difficult to come by during the music festival and all the Mozart related stuff will be packed out because this is a big anniversary year.

Salzburg is situated within an amphiteatre of mountains and as a result the weather can be changeable even in summer but I've found that it is probably most settled in late spring ie May/June time. Any earlier and you still run the risk of snow falling in themountains which will fall as rain in the city. September in Austria can be good too but you're coming to the end of the summer season there. The cows are normally brought down from the summer alms in early/mid September in the Tyrol which is as good an indicator as any that the locals consider that the weather will start to deteriorate from then onwards. On the other hand, if you are going because you hope to catch some snow then you're best not going too early in the season as there is often not much until January or even February as most of the nearby Alpine villages are at fairly low altitude. You're also best not leaving it until too late - by the end of March and certainly by Easter this year Salzburg itself will probably be snow free and there'll be a good chance that most of the lower Alpine villages in the region will be too.

Personally my choice would always be May/June time - it will be warm enough to walk round in light clothing and sit out at pavement cafes during the day and the days will be longer. The city will be looking at it's best because all the winter lagging will have been taken off the staues and fountains and all the snow will have disappeared from the villages in the mountains but the ski lifts will be working for use by walkers etc if you are wanting to see some of the surrounding countryside.

Salzburg IS Mozart and there is quite a tourist trail based on various museums and buildings that are associated with him. There is also a quite extensive Sound of Music tourist trail too but be warned that the locals have something of a love/hate relationship with the film! The locations shoots for the film did play a bit fast and loose with the geography of the city but if you have seen the film fairly easy to identify and owrth going to see. The castle dominates the city and is worth going to see in its own right. In Spring the street stalls selling local handicrafts etc will be out and are good to wander round and in fact it's a lovely compact city which is just made for wandering around and dropping into any one of a number of cafes for coffee and strudel - or if it is cold, 'chocolat mit schlagober' which is hot chocolate with a great chlorestrol-rich dollop of whipped cream on the top. And a chocolate flake stuck in it if you're lucky!

SM
that was a great read SM - i enjoyed that - We are thinking of going to Salzburg this later this year or early next. I was thinking of doing it as our "winter break" - we enjoy the cold and snow. But im now worried about the snow falling as rain in the city which we wouldnt like. sounds good in spring.

lyn
Hi Lynnwestie,

If you want to be guaranteed snow in the city itself you need to plan on going sometime after Christmas but certainly before March. Either side of that window and, yes, you might get rain rather snow, though up in the mountain villages it will be falling as snow. This is because Saltzburg is not actually at that high an altitude. As I said, my preference would always be to go in the late spring when the city looks wonderful as the spring flowers are all coming out etc but if you want snow think in terms of when we are most likely to get snow and you won't go far wrong.
SM
thanks for that SM - much appreciated :D

lyn
Well we are finally off to salzburg next weekend - just me and hubby and time to think about getting to our hotel from the airport. I will email the hotel to see if they do a pick up service but could anyone tell me how far/how long from the airport the city centre is and how easy it is to get a taxi or shuttle bus should we need to. I read someone mentioned a bus . would that be our best option. :?

any other tips for things to do or places to eat would be great too.

lyn
Airport is very close to city centre - you can see the city from the departure lounge. It won't cost much in a taxi. We were there a few years ago, but it only took about 10 minutes to our hotel which was 5 minutes walk from the centre.

If you don't have Google Earth I recommend you download it. It's a very useful resource for finding out airport locations in relation to Cities.

Just measured from the aiport to the river which bisects Salzburg and it's less than 2 miles as the crow flies.
Hi Donna,

Salzburg is beautiful!! The architecture is all very grand - yet quaint too. It's a very romantic city, and you can hire a horse-driven sleigh to take you around the sights. There's lots to see (Mozart is everywhere - even on the chocolates) and the views are to die for.

They also have some beautiful shops selling the most fantastic clothes, and you'll see lots of women wearing full-length mink/sable coats whilst walking their designer dogs (usually a Siutzu or Poodle).

They also do a special sausage dish local to the area (forgotten the name :roll: ) and if you're a meat eater you'll love it. They slice a sausage,fill it with Swizz cheese, wrap it in a special type of bacon and barbecue it. You should also try the goulash soup - and Jagertea (hot tea made with Austrian rum).Very potent!! :shock:

I've always visited there in the winter and it's always had snow then........you're sure to have a great time.
thnks for that Strawberry -im really hoping that some snow has fallen or is going to before we arrive . forcast this week just looks like rain and more rain :( the sliced sausage with the swiss cheese sounds to die for I will definately look out for that. :D
lyn

ps. Can you do any nice easy mountain walking from the city or how far would we have to travel to do that. I also see they have a snow shuttle from salzburg if you want to ski/toboggan or just play or walk in the snow. we dont ski but it would be nice if we have time to do something in the snow even if its just walking.
Hi Lyn,

Your best bet would be to take the shuffle to one of the nearby ski resorts (seem to remember that taxi's are very expensive).

Alpbach is not too far from Salzburg and is soooooooooooooo pretty. It was voted the prettiest village in Austria some years back, and with so many beautiful chocolate-box villages - that says something. It takes about 45 minutes to get there but is well worth the trip.

You could try cross-country sking through the forest, or just walk of course (you'll need good snow boats). Or you could have a go at downhill skiing on the nursery slopes. You can hire the skis and boots from a shop at the bottom of the slopes, and even book an instructor for the day.

You'll need to buy a lift pass for the day (even if you stay on th nursery slopes) but you can then take the gondola up to the top of the mountain where there's a fab restaurant with stunning views of the village below. It always seems to be sunny up there (except for when it's snowing of course) and to watch the sun glinting on the snow like diamonds is just so beautiful, what with the clear blue skies and fresh mountain air.

I wish I was there now :cry:

Have a great time!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.