Greece and other Greek Island Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Greece and other Greek Islands.
Everyone's idea of a holiday is personal I suppose but I think the Kambos area is not the nicest so reports you may have read could be true. It is used by a lot of the British tour companies making it cater rather for the Brits I think. Far nicer areas to my view are Pythagorion, Kokkari or if you are hiring a car and dont mind driving each evening we stayed on a wonderful peaceful bay on the north side of the island called Ag. Nikolaos, a 15-min drive from Kokkari where we enjoyed the evenings as there are so many tavernas there. To be honest you need a car or preferably a jeep to get around and see the island.

You can read my review and see photos of where we stayed and other areas of Samos on my website http://www.clearspray.co.uk. Enjoy Samos, it is a lovely island.
Thanks for taking the trouble to reply, Diamond.

Doesn't sound like our sort of holiday as we prefer not to do too much driving and like to have digs near a sandy beach.

Eputhlad
You should go to Skiathos. 60 Sandy beaches at least !! Very very small island, dont need a car if you dont want to drive as it is only 30-min by bus from one end of the island to the other !! It is the most beautiful island you can imagine and lots of hotels right on some of the most gorgeous beaches. Once again, check out my reviews and photos. We are returning in 2 weeks - it is the most amazing island.
Once again, thanks Diamond.

Over the past few years (we are certainly not seasoned travellers!) we have visited several Greek Islands and once even strayed over to Kalkan in Turkey one year.

We tell ourselves that the next new island the next year will be another unknown adventure and as as such we don't revisit islands.

But.......like you we really enjoyed Skiathos in 1998 and no doubt I think that we will break our "golden rule" and return one year.

But we wonder if the magic is still the same when you return?
Perhaps it is as many people return year after year to their favourite island.

Apart from Skiathos our other favourites have been Kefalonia and Kos.

Corfu, Rhodes and Zante were also good.

Crete is a big island - so how can you judge by holidaying in one area? - but for us not a big hit. Lesbos ditto.

Cyprus was..........well......Cyprus!

But as you rightly say, holidaying is a very personal thing.

We are a couple one 60 and t'other 57 who like a sandy beach, sun, tavernas and digs a stroll from the beach.

Do you know anything about Lemnos? :?:

So it's Alan Whicker signing off.....................
  • Edited by eputhlad 2007-07-05 20:54:51
Hi there eputhlad. Have you considered Stoupa or Parga? I recommended my friends to try both (they went to Parga twice last year and thought it couldn't get any better until they tried Stoupa). They have just returned from Stoupa and thought it was brilliant (nicer beaches, loads of places to visit (historic and scenic) and not as hilly as Parga :shock: ). Hope this helps. Gx
thanks pargaluvva,

I will get the brochures out again
Hi eputhlad

Psili Amos on Samos is beautiful. You can Walk into the sea for about 100 yards and it's still only up to your knees! This is the closest point in Greece to Turkey and you can see it clearly. This is Psili Amos on the eastern side of the island. There is another Psili Amos at the Kambos end but we didn't visit there.

We did go to Kambos beach and enjoyed it, but it shelved quite steeply. The beach was nice but speaking to people there, you either love it or hate it, all I can say was the beach was good to visit.

We stayed in Kokkari and I would reccommend there to anyone!
Thanks for that ardwyn.

Was there much aeroplane noise in that area of Psili Amos in the East?

Also was this beach sandy?

Thank you.
as i sain in another post you can try once you are in samos to have a look at those guys: sailingGR.eu

they start from samos and they offer a weekly trip to small "virgin" islands that cannot be reached in any other way

i have done this before and it was fantastic experience.

i love myself going to small islands and sometimes this is the only way doing it.....

enjoy you time in beautiful samos

ps. you asked befor about LIMNOS

limnos has huge sandy beaches, fantastic local cuisine, and not packed from tourists.

please feel free to ask me more infos as i am greek and i have been to maaaaany islands myself ;)
take care
Hello Yan,

Thank you for your reply to me.

I think that I will give Samos a miss this year.

I like the look of Lemnos.

Which is a good area to stay in.....we like to be close to the beach and not too near tavernas.

Thanks 8)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.