America/Canada Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in America and Canada
Hi missadi

To prevent any of your posts being deleted, please do not post in phone style text, eg pls instead of please as per our Rules of Posting

Rules Of Posting:

2) Do NOT post in TXT message style - Your post WILL be deleted.

Some of our visually impaired members use Screen Readers that do not recognise this type of text.

luci :wave
I'm using an iPod and didn't realise it was in txt speak ???
pls instead of please is text speak.

Delete this thread you've made it look messy

Pedantic
Not as messy as phone style text..... ;)

We Have always Stopped at Union Square,because you got easy access to Cable cars (too expensive now),Buses and metro system to get you about the city,But i do have to say since the recession hit The states The vagrants (tramps),have got a worst problem hanging round hotels and street corners,there more of a nuisance than a problem but for the first time last visit i felt very uneasy espically walking at night.Its a Shame because its a lovely city so easy to get about,i espically loved Alcatraz just something about the place and the people who were in there.Ive never stopped down fisherman's Wharf so im not exactley sure if the problem is so bad there on a night....if you can find a nice location,its a lovely city to visit..all the best.
I spent a week in san fran in may and stayed at the adante hotel which is a 10 minute walk from union square. I went for cheapness as i was only in the hotel to sleep so wasnt expecting much. Its a small boutique style hotel and was adequate for the money, there was a complimentary breakfast of juice, coffee, muffins, toast that saved buying a breakfast every morning, for the money and the location it was worth it. Never felt threatened by the tramps, most tended to be at the union square end anyhow. On the same street theres lefty o douls where you can get a breakfast or choice of roast dinners all day at a very good price. Like anywhere SF is as expensive or as cheap as you want it to be. The 3 hour grey line bus tour around the city is well worth it as is the trip over to alcatraz, the bay tours are pleasant sailing under the golden gate bridge, fishermans wharf is a vibrant part of the city with much to do. The bus service is excellent and for $1.50 you could use your ticket for up to 4 hours allowing good travel options around the sights like lombard street(crooked street), and the golden gate bridge, you can also go by ferry to sausilito and take in the nappa valley tours if you want to. The city is split into districts like the haight, mission, twin peaks, etc and all have their own charachter. A great place and somewhere i would love to visit again spending longer. Oh and as a real ale fan there were plenty of brew pubs too :) Would recommend SF to anyone.
Yeltzman,
It is worth pointing out that if you get the Muni Visitor Passport for 1, 3 or 7 days you get unlimited rides on all Muni services including cable cars. A one way cable car ride is $5, whereas a Muni passport is $11 for 1 day, $18 for 3 days and $24 for 7 days. It is therefore quite easy to get the value back if you go with the passport. We bought the 3 day one last time we were in San Francisco and hopped on the cable cars at least 4 or 5 times a day so saved a bundle. Although everybody raves about the cable car line that goes from Union Square to the Wharf area (and quite rightly), the California line from Van Ness down to the Financial District (nearby the Ferry Building) is as good, if not better especially at the highest point with the Bay Bridge in the distance.

On the subject of the homeless, I have found this to be more of a problem near Union Square than Fishermans Wharf. I would point out at this point that the notorious Tenderloin district is a wrong block or two away from Union Square, and I wouldn't wish that experience on anybody.
I would suggest walking across the bridge then walking on to Sausilito. It's a lovely place to hang out and have lunch in one of the pubs, then get the ferry back to Fisherman's wharf to see the seals. Riding the trams is great fun, even if it's expensive.

Jim
we also got the 3 day pass.we stayed at the holiday inn express,in fishermans wharf.it was in a great location,just 1 street back,from the wharf.the free breakfast,was great.plenty of choice & nice & fresh.
it is a great city to visit & you won't be disappointed.
tracy
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.