Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
There aren't many places selling sandwiches in Turkish resorts but you could get some bread and whatever you want to go with it and just take that to the beach with you.
Hi,

You're right, I think the only place to buy sandwiches by the beach is that place you mention, and they weren't up to much. Incidentally, just across from there on the other corner you'll find a small booth which sells drinks; it's run by the army I think (or the Police?) and cans of Coke etc are really cheap to buy. My partner (who's Turkish) always bought our drinks from there before we went onto the beach. It isn't easy to spot as it's tucked inside a little courtyard.........but you'll find it.

The only other thing to do if you want a picnic on the beach is to pop to a local shop beforehand and make some yourself. We lived out there so it was easy to do, but even if you're staying in a hotel you could still make a picnic I think. I'm sure they'd lend you a knife and fork to prepare it, and you can buy all the tin foil etc from the local shop. When we took a picnic I used to buy a loaf or two of fresh bread, and butter it inside lengthways, then I'd fill our picnic basket with boiled eggs, whole beef tomatoes, cheeses, cucumber, dolmades (stuffed vine leaves) squeezed with fresh lemon, a couple of cold roasted chicken legs (you can buy hot ready-made ones in the large supermarkets if you like), and a few peaches to eat afterwards. I'd also take an ice-cold bottle of white sweet wine to drink with the peaches (if you wrap it in wet newspapaer it stays cold), and we'd buy our beers and ice creams from the beach-boy if we were too lazy to walk back to the army shop! :roll:

Strawberry
There's a supermarket (called AZDA) 100yds along the main street on the left if you are walking up from the front.
Its in the basement so only the entrance is visable from the street!
Just take a coolbag a knife and plastic plates,buy some rolls,cheese,crisps,ham etc and take with you,if you're in a hotel on hb you probably won't want much.
It's hard to find ham in Turkey, proper ham, that is. You can get other cold meats, though, but they're processed and not very nice.

At the far end of the beach there is a cafe that sells sandwiches, cheese toast etc. It's a nice walk along the beach too.

Strawberry
The bread is very nice so why not take peanut butter,jam,small tins of pate,meat paste ,marmite and anything else you can think of that you can either eat in one meal or doesn't need refrigeration and just make some sandwiches on the beach or go back to your hotel and use the table on the balcony.That is what I used to do when my son was younger and was a very fussy eater,his gran made him meat paste sandwiches which I hate but he loved and he would even eat them for breakfast,yuk.
If your staying in a hotel try and get a room with a fridge for any food you take with you. Me and the wife allways take a couple of tins of spam and pilchards and some jars of salmon fish paste, a jar of marmite and some choccy spread in a tub, then we buy bread from the shop and make our own on the beach. you dont even need a knife you can just tear the bread and spoon the spread on. Spam already has an opener and just tear chunks off and put it in your sarnie. ;) we also take brown sauce with us to put on the spam, it is ace. :cheers saves loads too.
gb
as others have said , buy what you need from the local supermarket , if there is not a fridge in room then just buy what you need on a daily basis . then ask at breakfast for a knife or just take one away from the table with you , make rolls or sandwiches in room . return knife at the end of holiday or just leave in room for the cleaner to put away .
The corner supermarket(under crusoes) at the dolmus terminus do a good variety of sandwiches.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.