Greece and other Greek Island Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Greece and other Greek Islands.
Myself/Wife and 9 month old little boy will be going on 19th May for two weeks.
I will post a description of hotel etc and how baby friendly we found it to be when we come back.

We decided not to go for Junior suite as the rooms seem to be so well equipped but I agree this does seem to be the best 5*+ in the region (on paper)

Cheers 8)
can you tell me which companies do these hotels please?
I booked the Oceania Club Hotel through First Choice, I booked on line so I don't know if its in there brochure.

Cheers.
We booked through first choice,its in their brochure and also in thomsons.Myself my wife and 5 year old daughter are booked to go on the 18th may.Will post feedback after to let you all know but from my initial investigations im expecting a first class hotel,fingers crossed.
Hi

I've been doing a little research for a friend this week.

I found a Travel Consultant who gave an excellent price for 2 adults and 1 child, 14th July from Manchester for £1410: helen.masheder@tarsc.net -www.personaltravel.co.uk

Needless to say, my friend has booked and they are looking forward to their holiday.

Also, the website is now online http://www.oceania.gr.

Hope this helps

Carol :wink:
Hi

Anyone coming back from Oceania, please don't forget to post your views, I can't wait to find out what it's like. We have already booked our holiday for this year, but I'm certainly seriously thinking about this place for next year (end of May beg June) we would need a junior suite coz there's 4 of us. I could do with knowing whether this place would be ok for our children, they will be 11 and 14, it wouldn't really be suitable for us if there is a lot of very young ones, if you know what I mean! Look
forward to ANY comments about ANYTHING to do with this place.

J
I have some photos taken on the 9th may this year of the oceania club if anyone wants them. The first 3 dyas were a bit hectic but all is fine now and only a few minor adjustments remain. My friend assures me the hotel is fantastic.
MY HUSBAND AND MYSELF ARE GOING HERE WITH TWO FRIENDS ON 16.6.05 AND AGREE IT LOOKS BRILLIANT. WILL POST A REVIEW WHEN
WE GET BACK AND LET YOU KNOW WHAT IT'S LIKE. :lol:
ELLIEBEAN Please do not post with your caps lock on. Thanks.
We are booked to go 28th July for a week and have booked a junior deluxe suite.

If anyone has pics of the hotel please can they e-mail them to me -

Any other info re how the hotel is would be great.

Enjoy yourself

*Edit email addie removed for members protection. Please use PM facility - Glynis*
I have just returned today from the worst holiday of my life. Unfortunately there are no other words for it. The feeling of relief when we touched back down in the UK brought a smile to our faces.

These are our views and I will try to be diplomatic, I am telling you about our experience's at the Oceania Club which I'm sure will differ from other peoples but this is based on our two weeks and the complaint form(s) we submitted to First choice while in resort, which resulted in ourselves (and about 10 other families from first choice that I know of) getting 30% back. Med Hotels and Thomas cook held there own customer meetings.

The hotel is built into the side of the cliff with the reception at road level on floor Six. Very bland decor 2 bars (1 function), Bars very rarely staffed usual guest relations desk etc but No library, Games room, Internet room or jewellery shop, normal shop still getting sorted although did have good stock by the time we left. There is a shoe shop!

Floor 5 is just toilets, yes a whole floor just for toilets!

Floor 4 is the restaurant (all meals buffet) free for all when we first arrived but now they actually take you to the seats and have a dress code and rules etc. The Italian was rubbish, 1 choice of fish, steak or veggie option that's it! Did not try the Asian. These are just segregated areas of the main restaurant.

Floor 3 to block 2 rooms

Floor 2 to Crèche/kiddies club/night club/Cinema

Floor 1 ?? Maintenance I think

Floor 0 Pool/Spa/Block 3 & 4 rooms/Beach/Greek taverna

What's still not open - Greek Taverna, Crèche, Spa (half done) Beach bar, Kids play area inside and play area outside not safe. There are also parts of the building not accessible due to being boarding up so don't know what they will be if anything. They were still trying to get alot of the rooms finished as late as last Friday, painting etc.

The Hotel rooms are separate from the main complex, they are divided into 5 blocks with 3 floors in each block. You have a good sea view if you are in Block 1 (but not floor one) Block 2 all floors, Block 3 one and two look directly to block 4 so Rubbish unless you are on floor three and block 4 all floors good. Block 5 is the deluxe rooms and all have a good sea view over the private pool area.

The Double Rooms are very very small, we had to move to a junior suite which I considered to be a normal hotel room as we could not move in the double room with a cot in there as well. (and the noisy air conditioning kept us awake for two nights running)
The deluxe suites looked impressive.

This Hotel will never be a 4* plus, I have stayed in Hotels all over the world and at best when complete I would say this is a 3* it is not child or disabled friendly and never will be purely by design.

The town of Nea Moudania is a 15-20 min walk along the front away and is a small local working port/town and not geared up for tourists. You will walk round once for a morning then that's it, it's done. There's a good Wednesday market in the town but that's it, there's nothing else to do and I really mean nothing!!

Ultimately this Hotel is not finished and by Andreas's own admission (Sani marketing director) They have failed the customers expectations big time!!. The problem is the Hotel Owner's are vertually bankrupt; the builders have been given alot of rubber cheques so are refusing to do any more work. Meanwhile Sani (who manage the operation they do not own the hotel) are trying to run it the best they can.

Most of the staff are fantastic in the face of adversity (apart from the reception staff who just don't seem to give a toss) The restaurant is the hotels saving grace all though the food did get very samey after two weeks.

Our problems, without boring you with to much detail I will list in bullet form with brief explanation, if you want further info please contact me.

1. Tiled area around pool dangerously slippy when wet, saw so many people slip over including me. Lots of kids slipping and bashing heads etc.
2. No fire evacuation procedures/ extinguishers evident any where in hotel including rooms, some did go up in 2nd week.
3. Very poor/non existent entertainment program for children
4. Drilling in Restaurant (core floor drill) to relieve flood water (restaurant flooded 3 nights running when storms hit)
5. My son cut foot on marble shards in pool area from restaurant balcony drilling mess not cleared up properly from night before.
6. Main pool floor dangerously slippy, one guy taken to hospital last week came back with a neck brace one lady had to have pain killing injections from a hip injury.
7. Paint peeling off children's pool base.
8. Fire alarm continually going off day and night, we counted 7 times on Wednesday.
9. This hotel is not child friendly at all.
10. Baby phones were personal home type so were useless.
11. No babysitting service, first nanny walked out after two days new one fell asleep while in charge of kids.
12. The lifts never work, 2 lifts in block four where we were, never worked always had to carry the pushchair and boy up and down the stairs, which restricted us immensely. The lifts in the hotel were always packing up as well mainly only 1 of the 3 was in operation caused alot of problems around dinner time etc. Also got stuck in the lifts twice when they broke down.
13. Fence near outside play area not complete, shear unguarded drop off cliff right next to swings etc.
14. Bare electrical wiring everywhere
15. Told workmen would be in restricted areas at restricted times they seemed to work as and when they pleased. Due to all the problems on site the hotel maintenance staff seemed to be everywhere all the time banging and drilling something.
16. Periodically no hot water
17. No air conditioning or very noisy when it did work.

These are some of our issues which basically spoilt the whole holiday for us, if I went on my own with the wife you could laugh most of this off, but not when you have a nine month old baby in what was supposed to be a child friendly hotel. It was very evident from the amount of under 5's there that's the impression that everyone else had too.

My advice is don't go to this hotel - Yet! Go next year when it's settled down a bit and don't take your kids (fit or disabled) or your granny in the wheelchair if you do you will be disappointed. They should re market this hotel for couples young and old who don't want to venture far and just want to sit by the pool and exercise their all inclusive card at the bar.
I think your expectations would then be met and they would not be dishing out refunds to alot of very p----d off customers.

If you have booked a holiday to this hotel its your choice what you do, these were our experience's with a 9 month old baby. I honestly wish I had not gone and got my money back. We are so disappointed read the website, look at the brochure you think it will be fantastic, its not. I will not get another holiday now this year that's it for us I wish I had stayed at home.

PJD.
We returned yesterday and i have to sat that everything mr Dowding has said is spot on,i wouldnt disagree with anything,this hotel is not now,nor will never be a 5 star hotel.Anyone going with kids,forget it,the kids club is poor,they will not show any qualifications and dont even sign children in or out,they have no idea where to find parents as you are not even asked where you will be,oh and kids wonder around unsupervised whilst they chat,it is awful.The playground at present has a 30ft drop that is protected by a 2 ft fence,dont let your kids go there on their own.Babysitting,there isnt any.The cinema still isnt open,built but not open.As for the entertainment,well bingo isnt 5 star nor is a music quiz,there literallly is nothing to do.My advice,if you can cancel or rebook ealsewhere then doso,everyone we met wished they had and so do we,i feel that i wish someone had said this to us before we went,maybe we could have listened and acted.Oh and any info from sani is rubbish,it is not ready,trust us we know.Ihope peter will post this on halkidiki .com also,as will i,and thanks peter for what you did for the rest of us,at least we can have another holiday of some sort,maybe the bbc are still worth trying.

Mike B .
Thanks Mike

I have posted on Halikidiki.com if one person cancels there holiday because of our review's then i feel it would have been worth the time to type it.

Cheers

Peter
Hi

Thanks very much for your honest accounts, I'm sure I'm not speaking just for myself but I am so glad you posted your reviews - myself husband and 2 children really fancied this hotel and nearly booked - how glad I am now that we didn't - I think we were swayed a little because we have stayed at the Sani resort (lovely holiday) and presumed that this place was owned by them (I'm still not sure where Sani comes into the equation?) they have obviously not got it right, and it does annoy me when unfinished hotels are made available in the brochures. We are off to Costa de la Luz to a firmly built and up and running hotel (I hope !!!!). Thanks again.

J
Thanks for the honest review, my family and I are booked to go to the Oceania in August and are seriously considering whether to cancel or not. Does anyone have photos of the hotel? What are the beach and pool areas like......sunbed quantity etc? Were there many queues for food and drinks? Are the sports facilities now available eg bicycles, canoes etc. Do you think the work will continue to enable the hotel to be finished soon?
Shazp

Even though we are not booked for the Oceania (see above) if we had (and we so very nearly did) I would change the holiday without any doubt whatsoever, there is never any smoke without fire. If you, like us, save for your holiday and look forward to it all year, then in my opinion, it's just not worth it, all you will do, up until you go, is worry about it. Want my advice - change it - you can always go another time.

J
I would just like to reassure anyone who has booked to stay at the Oceania Club Hotel in Halkidiki. My partner and I returned from a week's stay on the 23rd June 2005 and had a fantastic time. We were very concerned before departure, having read the other reviews on this site, but FirstChoice reassured us that improvements had been made.

We stayed in a standard double room that was spacious enough for our needs (although may have been smallish if there were 3 adults sharing) and very well-equipped, with DVD player, satellite TV, terrace funiture etc. We stayed in block 3; block 2 probably has the best views and I would definitely recommend asking for a higher floor so the block in front doesn't obscure your sea view. Eveywhere in the hotel is immaculately clean, and having the mini-bar included in the holiday price was a nice touch.

The main pool is a large infinity pool with ample sunbeds, although the usual towel reservations at dawn did occur! There is waiter service around the pool, and a snack bar open for most of the day serving hot and cold food (this turns into the Greek restaurant in the evenings). The beach is coarse sand and there are various watersports available. The beach bar serves drinks and ice-creams.

The hotel lobby is very impressive. Reception staff were usually helpful, although we weren't very appreciative when the next guests were let into our room before we had departed (we had paid for late checkout)! There are two bars on the reception level, as well as the theatre, the venue for the evening entertainments. Entertainment was varied, some nights very good, others painfully bad (the "Olympic Night"), but the children seemed to appreciate these! Bar service was exceptionally good and we enjoyed having the international branded-drinks included. There is a shoe-shop, jewellers and minimarket on this floor.

It is true that the entire 5th floor is devoted to toilets, but with so many bars, this is quite handy!

The 4th floor contains the buffet, Italian and Asian restaurants. The buffet restaurant is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. There is an extensive choice, and there are often "theme nights." You can eat in the a la carte restaurants as often as you wish, but reservation is required. We didn't eat at the Greek restaurant, but the Italian and Asian restuarants were excellent, although service was slow one night. Choice is limited but the food was delicious.

The night-club was very entertaining from a spectator's point of view, but not very busy. The cinema was not yet open. We didn't use the gym, but were told by other people that it was very well-equipped. The indoor pool was attractive, but as it was hot and sunny every day, we stuck to the outdoor ones. The spa is open, prices comparable to the UK.

The resort of Nea Moudania is about a 15 minute walk away. The market was said to be well worth a visit. We hired a car for the day through the FirstChoice rep (who is excellent) and visited the second peninsula of Halkidiki, Sithonia. Sithonia is spectacularly beautiful. We found a deserted beach in the afternoon with white sand and clear blue sea, we could have been in the Caribbean. You can't get lost on the roads, there is one road in and out of each peninsula.

We have stayed in a number of 4 and 5 star hotels around Europe and the Oceania Club compares well to other 4+* hotels. We would happily return next year but I note that prices have increased dramatically for next season. I would like to reassure people that I saw very little building work and certainly no bare electrical wiring! It is understandable that the hotel has had teething problems but these now seem to have been resolved. We would have loved to have stayed for another week.
Hi Jenni and welcome to HT!

If you haven't done so already, it would help future holidaymakers if you could copy your post above into our reviews section by clicking on Hotel Reviews at the top of the page.

Many thanks.

luci :wave
I have just returned from 10 days in this hotel with 2 teenagers and a 2 year old toddler. I was interested to read all the negative comments concerning stays in June, the hotel has obviously made a lot of improvements since then as I only have minor niggles to report, mainly with maintenance - we also had a problem with the lift not working and having to carry a buggy up and down stairs, and light bulbs and clothes line broken etc which we reported but which were not fixed. However there are many plus points. The hotel is beautifully clean and has a stunning position with fabulous views. There are plenty of bars, and the food in the buffet was really good. The a la carte restaurants have very little choice and the quality of the food in there was not as good as the buffet. Our deluxe junior suite overlooking the private pool is a very good option for families as there is a separate little area with a single bed and also room for a cot and the parents' room shuts off with a door so you can still have a life whilst your children are sleeping! The indoor and outdoor playgrounds were very popular with our toddler. They cancelled the babyclub before we arrived which was disappointing but when I visited the miniclub area the activities looked a bit lacklustre, however to be fair it was not yet high season and there were not a lot of children in there. The main pool has a stunning infinity edge overlooking the sea. The evening entertainment is mediocre and the local town is not really worth visiting so most people stay on resort, however when we went on the boat excursion to see the monasteries on Athos, the surrounding countryside was beautiful, very unspoilt with gorgeous views and lovely whitewashed houses with red roofs dotted around. The beach is long and there are plenty of sunloungers, it shelves very gradually (a few rocks) so you can wade out a very long way. The beach bar and the pool bars are very good and the waiters are constantly coming round to check you are OK for drinks. Toilets immaculately clean. Greek taverna at lunchtime is great with lovely fresh salads and fruits etc. Due to the hotel's position on a steep hill however, I would just say that there is a lot of walking around up and down which can be a bit tiring with a small child in the heat! Definitely not suitable for seniors or disabled or anyone with a heart condition, the steps up from the beach certainly kept us fit!!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.