Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Santiago hotel
23 Posts
Just got back from Baga, stayed at C S M. Stayed at Santiago last year rooms basic but clean,most rooms with balcony over looking pool. food very good a lot better than where we stayed this year,staff very friendly location o.k just off main rd,beach 5 min. We would go back. :oops:
:D Thanks for responding airportbry trust you still had a good time. 8) :roll:
Has anybody stopped at the Santiago Baga/Calangute. On previous visits we have stopped at the Osborne and made a lot of friends in that area of Calangute. We are actually travelling December 25th from Birmingham :D At last a flight from just 10 minutes from where we live and not Monarch :lol: I notice that the Santiago is Full Board (as if you need this in Goa) but will obviously check it out when I arrive. It has got good reviews on a few of the websites so will have to wait and see can't wait it's only just over 9 months away :!: :!:
:D hiya linda i stayed at the santiago this year i flew out on the 25th december as well!
well the santiago isnt all full board or all AI as we we,r b@b but we never had anything to eat at the morning though we did go down to see what they had to offer, there was all kinds of eggs and potatoes and bacon(goan) and fruit, and toast tea or coffee, and for the dinners there didnt seem to be a lot of choice,it wasnt veried,
the rooms are very basic but clean but one thing i must stress to you is that they are so dark inside! if you can try and bring one of them little lites that can clip anywhere with about a 60watt bulb in it and some of the stairways had no lites on as they didnt have enough power to lite them everyone complained as you couldnt even see what was in my suitcase and if you tried to read you had no chance they just said they we,r running on half power, even outside in the resteraunt it was very gloomy, the pool is very small with only about 10 sunbeds they had music a couple of nites a week that was ok all in all it was a bit boreing but you got a clean room and clean bed!! we just went out all day and just slept there,
Hi Maggie

Thanks a lot for your response, I must admit that I am a bit concerned about the 'dark' rooms. The last time we were in Goa (only ever stayed at the Osborne) I got up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom and slipped on the floor and ended up with a massive black eye for Xmas :oops: I can tell you that my poor old hubby got several 'black' looks the next morning as fellow guests must have thought he'd clouted me one. 8) This doesn't represent me as being cool but rather how I looked for the rest of the holiday.

Cheers :) Linda
:D hiya when i say dark i dont mean black!! you will be able to see to go to the loo but it was to dark to read or put makeup on, and the kitchen light on the wall would flash as it didnt have enough power to lite it up proper, its like haveing a 20 watt bulb on but hey no worries im sure you,ll enjoy it no matter !!WATT!! (oh i know a very bad joke!!) :)
Hi All,

Got lots of questions: :?:

Am going to Goa on 12th Jan 06 (2 weeks), been told that food is cheap, plentiful and non-toxic :lol:
is it wise to hire a car as we like to look everywhere?
what is the best currency to take?
are there any pitfalls we should avoid?
does the hotel have a safe?
is it best to drink bottled water?

No doubt now I am about to send this, I will think of some more questions. So expect to be bugged by me soon.

Thanks everyone.

Ian Mc
:D hiya fagin if i was you i wouldnt hire a car its real hectic and mad and taxis are cheap enough to hire for the day
as for the money i take sterling and change it over there i never take travellers checks as i think there a rip off!!
yes the santiago does have a safe and they will sell you a new lock and unrap it in front of you to show you its not been used before its pennies to buy of them and its a real strong lock i have mine on my shed now as when you leave they give it you to take home, and the room is manned by a gaurd all the time and when he,s not there they close the door so you cant go in,
yes its best to drink the bottled water dont forget to check the seals not been broke, any more info just email me maggieomx :D
Hi Maggieomx,

Thanks for this info, very helpful. Can't wait to get out there, all the reports sound great.

Regards
Fagin
:D hiya fagin no probs i found the rooms a little dark (my opinion!!) if i was going to stay there again i would bring one of those plug in lights that you can clip on to to things it would heklp a little :D maggieomx
Hi Maggieomx,

Good :idea: :wink:

Regards

Fagin
Hi, can anybody tell me about the Santiago hotel (Baga) as we are thinking of booking a hol there in the next month or so.

It looks really nice on the net but then they only take the best photo's, not like speaking with someone who's been there to get the real truth.

Thanks. :D :?:
Hmmm... We have one review on it - and it isn't very good! Take a look here
I speak to lots of tourists every year who stay at Santiago time and time again so it must be good??
It certainly looks very nice from what i've seen on the odd ocassion that i've used their beauty salon.
Have a look on the Holidays Uncovered website, going from memory there are a few reports on there (sorry Fiona)!!!
Hope this is helpful, GFF xx
I have just returned from the hotel for a week and can give you nothing but good news for the hotel.

The food, drink, accom and workers are all great. The night security was the only problem we had wanting 2000 rupees to bring people back to the hotel. But that a long and amusing story-

For Dennis and The Queen to return 16/17 times says alot about the hotel.

Enjoy if you go.
Hi GoaBoy,
We arrived home last night after staying at the Santiago hotel for 2 weeks.
We had mixed thoughts about the hotel after reading several reports on the web, but can honestly say, that this hotel is brilliant !!
The rooms are a little basic, but the food and all the staff are wonderful.
You can order anything off the menu for your evening meal ( except sundays-Buffet night ) from the indian restaurant or the chinese/ thai restaurant. All the food is cooked fresh to order and is fabulous, you won't be dissappointed. The waiters are also very friendly, Paulo, David, Sandip, Walter, Mohan, Lawrence and Tommy to name a few !!
The security guards are very friendly as well, Giri and the smiling lad from calcutta ( night guard ).
We stayed at the 4 star Sun Village in Arpora last year, and can honestly say that the Santiago hotel is far better.
Stayed at it's sister hotel the Aldeia Santa Rita in January which is just down the road in Candolim. If it's half as good as that one, your in for a treat.
:D
I think there are a lot better hotels in the area, it was our 4th time and we would not go back to this hotel, but everyone is different, with the cheap prices in goa, its not worth going all inclusive either.
With the prices for 2006/2007 why not go all inclusive. I assure you the food is wonderful and the hotel excellent.Theres not much difference in prices for b&b to all inclusive.
Its not compulsary to eat in the hotel.This is a very friendly hotel and I would recommend it to everyone.
Been three times and no complaints,yes the lights are low powered and they go off every night, but this is Goa , just enjoy it.
I'm going back in November 2006 and in March 2007. I can't say more than that.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.