Greece and other Greek Island Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Greece and other Greek Islands.
Santorini
4 Posts
Have a look at Smaragdi Village in Perissa through Kosmar. We didn't experience any earthquakes while we were there. They have their own website and so you should be able to do diy. All the best. :cheers

Les
Earthquakes are common just about anywhere in Greece, most are very minor and cause no problems at all. Santorini has the addition of a live volcano, which can also trigger quakes. Yes, it is possible but unlikely that a major quake will happen when you are there - it is probably more likely that you will be run over by a bus a few miles from home, or even win the lottery. ;) Personally it does not put me off visiting Greece.

For somewhere romantic, I'd recommend Oia, which is very pretty and is a wonderful place to view the sunset. Fira is lovely and well worth a visit but it rather more touristy and can be expensive. The beaches in resorts like Perissa are black volcanic sand, as long as you don't mind this, they are fine but it wouldn't be my fist choice for a beach holiday.
im worried about earthquakes

if you are worried about earthquakes then KEEP away from Greece,Turkey,Cyprus,Bulgaria,Albania,Lebanon,etc, they ALL lay on on near the eastern European/ western Asia Fault line, and will experience at least 3 quakes a week [and you wont usually feel them] occasionally one will come along that can be felt or cause damage,

as property in the eastern med is either newish [built to withstand quakes] or so old and solid it's stood the test of time ,then why are you worried and as previous poster said ..you have more chance of being run over in the UK than being injured in a quake

yasas

wizard
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.