Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Hi Chilly,
Pulled in there today on the way past. Everyone I asked said it will be happening again on Saturday and there did seem to be a fair bit of activity. Caught hold of a "boss-looking boy" who swore it would be on.
thanks Johnnyfive we shall be there!! :)
chilly
For anyone who is wondering Sat night market (Ingo's that was) was absolutely heaving last night and great as ever, quite big police (with guns) prescence which is understandable due to terror threats..
chilly
We were in Goa on the night Ingos Market reopened (28th) and to anyone staying in Apora (MD,Sun Village ect) if your going out on a Sat night and not going to the market GO EARLY. There was total gridlock trying to get across the little bridge out of Apora, taxi drivers arguing with each other, with people on bikes so much so they nearly come to blows. The queues of traffic were MASSIVE and it took us nearly 20 mins to just get across the bridge (which is no fun when its absolutley BOILING HOT and your dripping with sweat) In the past they have put policemen either side of the bridge controling the traffic and hopefully they will do so again but until they do be prepared for the worst....Keith
We went on reopening night, have to say it was same chaos and people. mainly europeans. selling the same overpriced rubbish. After about 5 mins I remembered how much I hate this thing.

They didnt let taxis park on the old car park, only 1000's of bikes mostly ridden by halfwits off their heads on various substances which is why we saw a fair few people with broken bones and wounds of various kinds. The taxis had to park well away up near the temple.

My advice is stay away unless you want to buy tat and stuff that your never likely to ever use or put in your house.
Goodness me BBD!

You sound like you live here like us?

I know you don't, but You'd do well!
Thanks J5, I wish I did but have been enough times to see through the myth that is the dubious market trade. I am told by the real Goan's that very few locals now actually bother with it and its made up mainly of Indians and our east european friends to make money out of the less wise.

Still it keeps the taxi drivers in pocket, and to some tune !!
I think I might might be staying near this market 24th march? Staying in riviera de goa in Arpora. Is this near by? I hope its open because I love a good bargain and love hagling with locals! :rofl
We went on reopening night,

My advice is stay away unless you want to buy tat and stuff that your never likely to ever use or put in your house

:duh why go if you hate it so much???

well, each to their own eh!! ;) i live here and still love going to the market, i love people watching and the atmosphere and music.... like many things in life its what you want to make of it...

1000's of bikes mostly ridden by halfwits off their heads on various substances which is why we saw a fair few people with broken bones and wounds of various kinds

just to set the record straight!!! not all the broken bones and wounds you see are necessarily caused by half wits on substances... my arm is in plaster due to a genuine (& sober) fall as may be a fair few others.... pretty judgemental statement.. oh and by the way, we ride a bike too.. :que
chilly
Chilly, under no circs did I mean to offend such as your good self, I went hoping it had changed back to how we all remember it 7-8 yrs ago but alas it has just become the thing all us regulars feared.

I just find it hard to understand why everyone rushes to this place on a Sat night, apart from the social aspect as well, when you can go into Mapusa any day of the week and get much better stuff whilst actually supporting the local economy.

As regards the number of accidents we saw, I dont think it takes an expert to spot the reasons why they happen. Oh and I broke 3 toes back in 2005 when I misjudged the Anjuna roundabout so I to speak from experience.

Anyway it all down to opinion.
Chilly, under no circs did I mean to offend such as your good self,

no offence taken bigbaddad ;) I understand your point, bit fed up with this arm i think!! getting tetchy!! :duh
chilly
We went on the night that it re-opened, on the 28th February. Last time we were in Goa, we missed the night market as it was too early in the season :(
Having already been to the Wednesday market, I wasn't impressed, as it was too busy and people selling identical stuff.

However, the Saturday night market was really impressive!!! Great atmosphere!!!

We set off from Candolim at about 8pm, so it was a little cooler, plus it was in full swing :)

Lot's of security, as you have to go through a metal detector on your way in. Was impressed with this.

There was lots of areas to buy food and drinks, and such a massive variety of foods to sample. Again was really impressed with this.

Live bands and entertainment were going non stop when we arrived.

The only similar stalls at the market was the Indian's who were selling bedding; spices / tea; shirts etc...

Other than that, there was a massive variety of clothes, shoe, jewellry, magic and hippy type stalls. And yes fellas, same as usual, take lots of money as if your missus is anything like mine, she was on a spending spree.

We spoke to a couple of people who had stalls there, and they were brassed off at the lack of night markets, and were getting ready for going back to Europe, as some had been out there since the start of the season, with promises of the market being opened much earlier than it actually was.

I'll have to stick some photos up when I get chance, a very enjoyable evening out though, and one that I would love to do again.

I noticed that my experience was slightly different to that of bigbaddad, but each to there own, I enjoyed it and so did my missus.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.