America/Canada Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in America and Canada
Savannah
6 Posts
We were in Savannah in March last year, it truly is a beautiful city and one I am hoping to return to in the near future.

We found hotel prices to be very high especially in the Historic District, although there is value to be had from staying a bit further out. We opted for the Hilton Garden Inn in Midtown, which was a lovely 10-15min drive down Abercorn to the Historic District and was a stunning hotel despite being a chain (I think we paid $109 a night which included a buffet breakfast each morning).

You certainly don't need a car in the Historic District, it is very walkable (be prepared for lots of walking) but outside that area, a car will help no end with day trips to other closeby areas. We had the car for the duration (only 4 days) and we managed to get to Tybee Island, which is a lovely area with a nice beach and plenty to do (climb the lighthouse for great views) and we also went up into South Carolina to Hilton Head where we hired bikes to cycle along the beach (very tiring but great fun). Bearing in mind we went in March, I would say that Tybee is a good half day and Hilton Head is a full day but in summer you could spend as long as you want in both because it is going to be much warmer. Tybee is a short drive from Savannah (20mins) whereas Hilton Head took us about an hour. Both very worthwhile.

Savannah itself is just beautiful. Walk between the squares, head down to River Street, eat at stacks of fantastic restaurants (Lady & Sons, Mrs Wilkes IF and that's a big IF you can get in), do a pub crawl, ghost walks and bus tours etc etc. There is so much to do. I was recommended 4 nights, but in truth we could have had longer and if you include some day trips, a week is going to be about right I would say.

If you want any further information please let me know.
Hi,Thanks for the reply.
We have booked our flights-Las Vegas first for 7 nights then, fly down to Savannah for 7 nights.
From what i have gathered so far, alot of people recommend staying in the historic district unless you have a car as walking is not recommended if you are staying further out.
We plan to hire a car for maybe 2-3 days.
You were right about higher hotel prices in the historic district some are verging on the ridiculous!
We may book 4 days in the historic district and 3 on Tybee Island,which leads me onto my next question-
Is Tybee worth staying at for a few days or would we be best staying in Savannah for the duration?
Thanks again Mark.
Tybee Island is a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't like to comment on whether it is worth staying there. To be honest, in our brief visit of about half a day we didn't see a major amount of things that would keep you occupied. Of course, if it's summer you are going, then it might be a worthwhile beach destination but I would say Hilton Head would be a far better choice. The beach at Tybee is nice enough, but Hilton Head wins hands down. It all depends on what you want to do. If you are looking for a relaxing end to your holiday after the exertions in Vegas and Savannah, it might just suit you. If you are looking to be kept occupied 24/7 (you know what I mean) I would either plump for more time in Savannah or go to Hilton Head.

With regards to Savannah, Midtown isn't necessarily a bad option especially if you find a hotel on Abercorn. With a car it's a doddle journey into the Historic District, without a car, it's a simple bus ride (Abercorn is a major road through Midtown into Downtown Savannah). If you can find a deal in the Historic District I would always say go with that, but I can sense you are having the same concerns as us with regards to cost (and we got $2 to £1 last year also). I would try http://www.Hotwire.com and utilise tthe expert advice on http://www.betterbidding.com and see what comes up on your dates. There are no guarantees with what property you will get but you may well find a bargain. I know the Westin comes up a lot on Hotwire, and that is situated across the river from the Historic District and you can get a water taxi to Savannah which is quite cool and I think free if you are staying there.

Unfortunately a lot of the historic houses that offer rooms are very expensive. I know there is a Days Inn in the Historic District which is nothing like any Days Inn I have ever seen before which might be worth a pop, but prices were high for that even in March. The Hilton Desoto was a nice property also, but again it's all about price.

I would have no hesitation in staying in Midtown again and that Hilton Garden Inn is a lovely hotel. Just be aware that you will have to pay to park in the Historic District and this can mount up. You can get free parking at some of the tourist info centers but they fill up very quickly.

Hope this helps. Fire away with anything else and I will do my best.
Thanks again jwhiting.
Now i think we will stay at the Inn at Ellis Square hotel for 3 nights then, hire a car and stay 4 nights at Hilton Head,maybe the Beachwalk hotel.
Hilton Head seems quite a nice place for 4 days.
What are your thoughts on this.
Thanks Mark.
I think the Days Inn - Inn at Ellis Square is a fantastic choice. Bay Street is a lovely road and is literally yards from the bars and restaurants of River Street. Everything will be walkable from there. Good luck with finding a good deal (not easy). If you stay there you will definitely not need a car, so it makes sense to pick it up after 3 days in Savannah as you mentioned.

As for Hilton Head, I don't think you can go wrong. After 10 days split between Vegas and Savannah you will need a rest and with Hilton Head being just an hour or so drive from Savannah it makes sense, and I would definitely recommend it over Tybee (although still go there and do the lighthouse climb). I'm no expert on the hotels unfortunately having visited as a day tripper only, but anywhere on the Island will be sufficient with a car. Of course if you really fancy chilling I would opt for a beachfront hotel such as the Marriott or Westin but prices might dictate. We hired bikes and rode along the beach for miles, it really is a stunning beach. We intend to have some proper time there again in the future. One word of warning, traffic. Hilton Head is notorious for traffic build up in the summer, it was even bad when we were there. There seems literally thousands of traffic lights, which obviously cause traffic to stop. It might be worth heading there early. One final bit of advice, go to the Tourist Info ASAP. They provide great maps and restaurant information. It is quite easy to just drive around Hilton Head without seeing anything as all the beaches and public areas are superbly hidden by forest. A map really is essential.

Oh, and as you have the car...how about a day trip to Charleston? It was between Savannah and Charleston for us last year and Savannah won, but Charleston is supposed to be as nice.

HTH

Ju
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.