EX-Pats and Owners Abroad

Discussions for EX-Pats and owners abroad or those who are considering this idea.
the short answer is no. there are schools that do crash course in Turkish so kids can get up to speed. They start at 7 years old here, and can leave at 16 or go on to "college" as they call it.
If there is some enterprising peron out there that can set up an english curriculum school then it's the best business plan I can suggest.
thank you for your prompt reply chelseaboy
:D will pass this on to my friend thanks giggles
yes there are 2 english speaking schools in Marmaris. :!: :!:
which are those then??
One of is in Beldibi area which named Kenan Evren College
other one is in Cami Avlu area which named UFUK College

sorry UFUK is a Turkish word. Maybe u can missunderstand it :idea: :idea:
both Ufuk college and Marmaris college are NOT english speaking schools. They do help with learning Turksh but all curriculums are Turkish. Marmaris college is b****y expensive and not what is says it is...International my A**E. the truth is that unless your children learn Turksh they will struggle here... take it from a parent that has tried these options. if any Teacher was fed up with the Uk they cold make a great living here teaching english gsce ....for now though Turksh is the only option.
Chelsea boy yes i know Marmaris college is expensive. but Kenan Evren wasnt expensive last year. a big english family who living and working in datca. They have 5 kids and they did put them in Kenan Evren college. They did not said anything about school is just teaching Turkish.
kenan evren charges 9000 ytl per student per year. this does not include meals and transport. Some might say this is cheap compared with UK prices but UFUK charges 3300 with meals included (if paid in advance). both only have lessons and exams in Turkish. so comparitively K E is a rip off. i have had a lot of experience with the education system here, first hand, please dont rely on hearsay. Your children will need to speak Turkish.
Chelseaboy İ thought I would let some else shoot this one down before I came back to ıt and you are quite right these places arent english speaking schools and never will be. They teach english as a subject maybe but thats it.

For the benifit of all there are very few english speaking or international schools in Turkey and they exist in İstanbul/ankara and İzmir. Also if they allow Turkish children in they are NOT english speaking or İnternational as its against the law for Turkish children to be taught anything other than the TMEB curriculum here.
hi
so how hard is it to get children into a normal turkish school in marmaris.
Should not be too hard, the school will probably ask for residents permits, so if they are in application stages you are going to have to explain that. Bear in mind that the 6th is start of 3 week school holiday and that 10th to 14th is Bayram, so everything shuts down that week and you will not be able to get anything done paperwork wise.

Dont forget your childrens school reports AND from your GP a record of vacinations that they had, such that when they start doing them in the schools your children wont have to have them a second time.
giggles

hope I'm not getting the wrong end of the stick here, but if your friend is considering going to work abroad, his/her Company should be able to sort out a school for their children.

Friends recently spent some years in Greece and their children were placed in the International School in Athens, this was a true International school and not the sort of thing monkey is talking about i.e. Turkish school with English lessons, which would presumably be unsuitable.

It seemed similar to a small private school over here and the Education they received was v.good.
have already pm redbuttons... will talk through schools.... quite right bryn...3 weeks hols now so little will get done.... your children will be "guests" until you have residency...they will do all the lessons but not be accredited. the schools in marmaris have had experience with foreign pupils so the process is easier....just make sure you have all the paperwork from the schools, especially reports.
Thanks for all your replies on the marmaris school issue
my friend is out there as she married a turkish lad and she brought her 2 children with her
think her 2 might find it hard as they dont speak any turkish at all
well we are here in marmaris and it took me 10 days to find a school that would take them as they could speak next to no turkish.i tried all the local turkish schools and none was interrested as the kids did not understand anything and the teachers english was very limited,next stop was ufuk 1st he told our turkish friend they were full and then he said he did not want to take them as they did not speak turkish and he had just had a bad experience with some other english children.so guess what we ended up at marmaris college at a cost of 4800 ytl for the rest of the school term so upto june(that was for 2 kids)then we had to pay another 170 ytl for the school bus per month....and 340 ytl for uniform we then have to pay extra for the lunch which works out at about 6 ytl each per day...just as we thought that was the end the kids came home after the 1st day and said they had to buy all their own school books.
but on the upside the kids have only been their 1 week and they know quite a lot of turkish as that is all they will be tought until the end of term so then they will be able to go to a local school...thank god

i really thought that i had prepared myself but without the help of our turkish friends we would have fallen at the 1st fence with no idea where to go next.
Hi Red buttons... my daughter goes to ufuk, so I will be asking exactly what bad "experiences" they have had.... Glad to hear you have them in school and they are picking up the language. The local baskan ( mayor) wants to hear about foreigners experiences here, maybe your story will interest him. The trouble is the schools won't even sneeze here without permission from government.
hope you settle in without too many more problems
yes we love it here just wish the weather was a bit better but seeing as it is snowing in the uk i dont think we can complain about a bit of rain.the kids love their school which is half the battle and as long as they keep learning as quickly as they are they will be able to go to a local school next term.so we just need to find my husband a job now and everything will be great.i have a job starting in the summer which will make things easier.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.