Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
generally you can go in the sea for a dip, you will get to know by the size of the waves or by watching other people if it is ok to get in, if you see several people get knocked over don't go in :o

Lin
:) I've just come back from Candolim - 1 indian lad drowned last week. Lots of others have died over the last couple of months. My advice is not go in far - you can tell what the current is like when only up to your knees. Don't underestimate the sea here!!
broncoblue.
I am not a strong swimmer , particularly in the sea.
The beach at Baga is better for taking a dip if your not so confident.
I have never been brave enough to go in past my waist in Candolim as the waves are bigger and sea floor dips more here.
Coco beah has a nice flat bed that doesnt get too deep for some distance.
Also I was perfectly happy in the sea at Palolem :lol:
I couldnt believe how many go into sea out of there depth when they cant swim.....

I SAW A LAD GO UNDER AND I SWAM OUT AND DRAGGED HIM OUT AND SAVED HIS LIFE..CANT BELIEVE HOW MANY ARE SO FOOLISH
candolim was were i saved the young lads life..if you use common sense it is kool its just when you get stupid theres problems.
my advice wear arm bands and a rubber ring and dont go to far out :yikes
Another major worry this season is the proliferation of jet skis Apart for a small stretch at the steps at Calangute they are completley uncontrolled. They are reacing up and down close in just off the breakers and you are constantly watching out for them I've seen a couple of near misses already this season and it's inevitable that a serious accident will happen this season as nobody in authority seem interested in doing anything about it Alan
I agree with Gramps, just got back from two glorious weeks in Arpora, we mainly used the beach at Baga, and even there the sea was busy with Jet ski's bombing around all over the place. Admittedly they did mainly stay a way out at sea, but there really should be a restricted area for them!!
I have to say I was worried about the currents (having 2 kids 8 and 10 years) but found that if you are sensible and stay in your depth and watch where people are swimming - also check with the shack owners - then its pretty ok, the waves are bigger at high tide (due to the slope of the beach) so swimming at low tide seemed safer if you are not a strong swimmer. The water was really warm too.... so enjoy!!
my husband saved a few people last season and we saw 3 young lads die so caution is the word, i love going in the sea and at times it can be incredibly calm just common sense as said previously, as ever with the ocean . Thailand can be just as dangerous with currents etc
chilly
Another 2 students drown at Colva beach on Tuesday evening while three other rescued students are convalescing at the Hospicio hospital.

Reported in the Goa Herald

lez
I'm in Candolim at the moment and have been in the sea today :D The waves can be rough and can pull you around a bit but if you're used to swimming in the sea you should be fine. I'm an ok swimmer - not great but can swim, and I haven't had any problems.

Just don't go out of your depth :)
HTH
Jules
plenty of lovely beaches a short taxi ride away, where the sea is shallow and gently shelving.
del949
Could you tell us wherethe safe beaches are please?
two favourites are Ashvem and Morjim, costs about £8-10 for a taxi to take you and wait all day. It takes about 40 mins to drive there from candolim
Enough beach shacks to cater for food etc but not that many that you are pestered.
I posted a couple of pics of these beaches but can't find them in the album.
If memory serves me right, Morjim beach is also known as Turtle beach.
del949
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.