Italy, Rivieras and Islands Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Italy, Rivieras and Islands.
Things to do

One of the first things we did after arriving in Selva was to buy a 6 day Valgardena Card At 76 euros each, this wasn't a cheap purchase but it pretty much covered all our sightseeing for the week. In 2011, it included unlimited use of the 11 cable cars/chair lifts in the Val Gardena Valley, plus unlimited use of the local buses. Our main goal was to go on all 11 lifts and we managed this easily - going on some lifts more than once. Here's some info on each of the lifts:

- Ortisei-Alpe di Siusi Cable car - by far the busiest lift we went on and the restaurant at the top was rammed. Amazing views over the Alpe de Siusi. From here you can take the Sole chairlift down the other side and carry on walking to the other side of the plateau.
- Ortisei-Rasciesa Funicular - not far from the Furnes-Seceda cable cars - take the escalators from the centre of Ortisei if you want to cut out some of the uphill walking to get to the base station.
- Ortisei-Furnes-Seceda Cable cars - this starts out with a normal small cable car before you have to transfer to a much bigger (and less frequent) one for the second stage of the journey. We found it much quieter after 3pm. There are views of the whole valley from the top and you are likely to see marmots on the rocks immediately below the top station.
- Fermeda-Seceda Chairlift - this was our favourite chairlift as it seemed much faster than the other ones and is a really easy way to get between the Col Raiser and Seceda lifts.
- S. Cristina-Col Raiser Cable Car - the restaurant at the top does excellent apple strudel and has great views across the valleys.
- Chairlift S. Cristina-Monte Pana-Mont Sëura Chairlifts - these are great for a warm, sunny day, but wrap up well as it can get cold when you're going up. They normally close for an hour over lunch time.
- Selva Gardena-Ciampinoi Cable car - right in the heart of Selva - you can easily walk from here to the top of the S. Cristina-Monte Pana-Mont Sëura Chairlifts.
- Selva Gardena-Dantercëpies Chairlift - this is a bit of a walk out of Selva up a steep hill but will allow you to get into the neighbouring Passo Gardena valley if you want to. The Cir Chairlift at the top was closed this summer.
- Passo Sella-Forcella Sassolungo Cable car (aka Coffin lifts) - this was our favourite cable car of the week. The individual pods look like upright coffins and you have to throw yourself into them (with the help of the staff) and then be prepared to stand for the whole trip. Unfortunately it looks like this cable car is being replaced with something more modern later this year so summer 2011 may be the last chance to try this unique experience. Highly recommended (as long as you're not scared of heights)!

As you might imagine, there are loads of different walks in the area - so the best thing I can do is recommend you get hold of a walking map from the Tourist Office and pick routes based on your ability and interests. We would often choose easy walks that headed down the valley and then get the bus back at the end of the day - but there are plenty of much more challenging routes including Via Ferrata if that's what you're after. If you're not into walking/scenery then all 3 villages have a variety of shops and the museum in Ortisei is quite interesting. We didn't make it to Bolzano as we decided the journey of 2 hrs each way was a bit too long. We also didn't have time to go to the Mar Dolomit swimming pool in Ortisei which would be a good option in bad weather. There are various places where you may be able to get internet access but we never managed to find any computers that were actually available to use so it's probably best not to rely on being able to get online.

Overall, we had a really great time in Val Gardena and would recommend it to anyone who likes hearty food, scenic walking and cable cars.

Thomson/Crystal Excursion Prices as at July 2011

- Bindelweg & 4 Valleys - 36 euros
- Lake Garda - 32 euros
- Local wine tasting - 10 euros
- Venice - 56 euros
- Merano & Trautmannsdorf - 27 euros
- Cortina and the Five Tpwers - 36 euros
Thanks Corinne, I enjoyed your reports.

OH has been nagging me this afternoon to take off down to the mountains for a few days to get away from the heatwave that we are suffering from at the moment (34° today). It's a few years since I was in Val Gardena in summer, might be an idea :think
I don't think I like the sound of coffin lifts!

Hope Judith's heatwave lasts - I'll be in Bavaria 2 weeks tomorrow!
Steve

It's 11c and raining today, a drop of 23° from yesterday's 34c. New snow in the mountains, bring your skis :)
another week to go yet!

I don't mind the snow as long as I can see - last year it was low cloud all week. And after Bavaria I'm going down to the Vinschgau where the sun is still out!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.