Thailand Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Thailand.
Hi Fiona,

Haven't stayed there (like you we usually go for the Landmark) - but have booked in mid November. When do you expect to be going?

Peter
we are going Dec 27th. Hve booked Landmark but am considering trying it out instead- trouble is I'm frightened I would regret changing the Landmark booking :lol:
Have'nt stayed myself although have stayed at other Shangri-La properties. We've had friends who have (they've been to Thailand a few times so know the standards to expect) and they were not too enamoured when comparing it with the Dusit Thani where they prefer to stay.

My room in Le Bua did over look the Shangri-La, it is well positioned for public transport and it is on the river but we did find the area a little lacking in restaurants. Had to leap on Skytrain and head off to Sukhumvit and down to the Marriott to catch the Manorha.
OH actually remarked about lack of restaurants round about. There are plenty round the Landmark- but we did like the Shangri la in KL and Traders in Singapore....
I think its your duty to trail blaze Fiona :D. Too many people going to the same old hotels we need to spread our wings a bit, there's gazillions of hotels in Bangok to try. And of course theres always the serviced apartments as well.

I think its your duty to trail blaze Fiona

yes and I should be on expenses too :lol:
Actually we are lookng at Vietnam next summer and this would probably involve overnights in Bangkok at both ends of the holiday and we have decided we must give 2 new hotels a go( I fancy the Oriental but one night is about all we could afford there :lol: )
How about the Peninsula :D
yes- thats the second one :lol:
By the way- not sure re Shangri la now as it seems really expensive. In fact they are quoting me twice the amount Landmark is. :yikes
Hi Fiona,

If it is any help, we paid about 30% more for the Shangri La to Normal room rate at the Landmark.

Shop around - you can probably get a much better deal - or try a local agent.

Like you, we fancied a change from the Landmark. The problem is that the Landmark has always seemed ideal for shopping, entertainment, food, transport, quality.......... perhaps thats why we chose it - it will be difficult to beat :cry:

Good luck with your search.

Peter
Pete
I think I am going to have problems persuading the OH not to go to Landmark - as you say, it has everything going for it :D However, we will probably have a couple of overnights in BKK next summer so we would def be trying new hotels out.
I am very fond of the Landmark, we have had some graet nights there in the Huntsman Pub!
We decided after staying there twice to spread our wings and we stayed in the Dusit Thani , which was excellent, I like to be near Soi Rambuttri now though so have gone 'downmarket' and stay on Khaosan Road, I love the atmosphere there though and it is close to the river.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.