Far East

Discussions regarding holidays in the Far East.
Its worth e-mailing the hotel and they may send you copies of the menu. They sent me some but that was a couple of years ago. The prices did not seem that extreme, for a hotel that is that is in a remote setting with very little competition around it for eating out. I find eating a-la carte in the hotels often cheaper than the buffets.
We do have the hotel in our reviews here but unfortunately for some reason they stop in 2005. Having stayed at two or three Shangri Las I can confirm that the standard is food is excellent. The one in KL was a bit more expensive than eating out of the hotel but still cheap by our standards. The one in Singapore( Traders) has a restaurant I would go and eat at even if we weren't staying there. Prices were brilliant value.
The Borneo one has menus in their website. Here is the range of places to eat and menu highlights from each one. But of course no prices ;)
As I say if you request the menus by e-mail you should get actual scans of the menu restaurants complete with prices, don't forget the ++ though, services and taxes, when working out the prices. Had to admit the Shangri-las I have eaten in the food was only so-so. The Shangri-las in Borneo were unusual in that people were switching between the two, some loved the Rasa Ria and were not keen on the Tanjung Aru and vice versa. We preferred the Tanjung Aru mainly because of its location close to Kota Kinabalu and local restaurants and the outlying islands. Others preferred the Rasa Ria for it remoteness, the Orangs and the fact it was on the beach. Having said that I'd be quite happy to go to both.
Hi, We are off there on Saturday for ten days so I will be able to let you know when we return if that is any help. I have heard it is expensive which is worrying us a bit, but we will see. We will be out and about on trips and going into the town and 1Borneo and also heard about some places in Tuaran that might be ok to eat at so will let you know. We have the buffet breakfast booked so can fill up there!!

I have read that you have to book and pay to see the orang utans something that is a must do for me!!

Getting really excited now!
Thanks for all this.
Fiona, I had seen the samples on the website - but it was the prices we wanted as we have the option of breakfast and evening buffet.
Hubby is insistant on the Rasa Ria.
Great idea Sunbear. I will email them.
Lady - you lucky thing. Are you stopping in KL as well? Any info would be greatfully recieved. Hope you have a fabulous time.
Thankyou, we are going on Singapore airlines so stopping in Singapore for 3 nights on way back. Will let you know how we get on when we return.
Sunbear, yet again you are brill.
I emailed them and they have sent me copies of all their drinks and food menus.
:) :)
So do the prices seem reasonable? I imagine drink might be expensive but food prices OK - by UK standards. I always get my own drinks for the mini-bar any how.
Well its about 20-25 pounds for a meal - obviously depending on what you order.
Snacks for lunchtime about 5 pounds.
We thought that was OK compared to UK prices.

Drinks - lager from 3 pounds.
Coke, lemonade etc - 1 pound.
Fresh squeezed OJ - 4 pounds.

So to be honest it was much better than we thought. :)
Hi I stayed at Rasa Ria 2 years ago. We had the half board option ( I think as I only remember signing for lunch and the a la carte ) which gives you a choice of I think 3 different restaurants with one a la carte restaurant. I cant remember the food prices but there are few alternatives outside the hotel in the area as the hotel is a little isolated.

We did not go to the orang utang sanctuary as we had already visited one a week before. Most people went and seemed to enjoy it.

Any other questions please ask although I cant believe it was only 2 years and already forgotten wether we paid seperately for meals but with 2 kids I am sure it was a half board option.

Kind Regards
Stewart
Hi

Normally we try to eat outside hotels but this hotel is quite remote. We ate at the fixed price restuarant outside where you can eat as much as you want for about £20-£25 per head dependent on x-change rate. This is very expensive for Borneo but a normal price for similiar hotels and we felt the best value for money. There were several different counters serving freshly cooked oriental food but prior to the main course there were loads of different starters and afterwards puddings to die for including strawberries, and a chocolate fountain.

We did try the Indian which was very nice and slightly more expensive although again you can pay for a set meal.

Enjoy

Suey
Hi, Just returned from this hotel and it is brilliant, the prices we did not think were bad, we were worried after reading some reports on other sites. There are two buffet restaurants, the coffee terrace where it costs 100MR per person and the food is fantastic fresh seafood, steaks, fish, curries,salad to name a few and the most lovely puds, then another one which is set up like a market place and is more Malaysian food which is very nice, a great assortment and again lovely puds, this costs 110MR per person. If like us you have 3 courses this is not a bad price!! The Indian starts at 130MR for a set menu which was really nice and lots of dishes, the Japanese started at 100MR and Coast the a la carte we never tried as did look more expensive and we enjoyed the buffets. Drinks were 15MR for draught tiger beer and 90MR for a bottle of house red wine which was quite nice wine.

It cost us 140MR return for a taxi to 1Borneo shopping mall where there were other restaurants not really that keen though bit sterile atmosphere. 160MR return to KK town and 250MR to the mountain for a day where the taxi waited for us.

It is a fantastic place and the hotel offers so many different activities and trips.
I'm pleased to hear that the hotel was good. :) Bet you are feeling the temperature drop now :(
Glad you had a good time lady.
Thanks for all info. :) :)
It sounds great.
do you need any injections to visit borneo or need anti malaria medication?
Hi, We were up to date on the usual holiday injections so should check that before you go. We did not take anti malaria tablets as the official advice before we went in February, was kk is clear and you only need to take precautions as in spray deet at all times. If you are going into the interior jungle areas you will need to take malaria tablets also the area around Sandakan is a higher risk. We stayed at the Rasa Ria and went to Mount Kinabalu National park and also to the Klias wetlands and we were fine never got bitten as covered in spray!!
thanks for the info. rasa risa resort is all booked up so we are thinking of the tanjung aru resort and then boating out to the islands as day trips and of course seeing the Orang-utan however early/long the trip is im definately going!!
Preferred the Tanjung Aru to the Rasa Ria myself. The outlying islands are only ten minutes by boat and have some pretty good snorkelling and corals. Often you can have the beach to yourself.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.