Far East

Discussions regarding holidays in the Far East.
I haven't stayed there but did have a wander through the grounds and they are beautiful. If we ever get back to Penang I would go there. Towels are supplied daily. If I recall correctly not all rooms have a balcony so its best to check if yours has one. Be prepared for an early morning awakening as there is a mosque nearby which calls the faithful to prayers. We didn't mind it as its all part of being away. :)
Stayed there 5 times and have enjoyed myself thoroughly.

Very spacious rooms- if you have gone for a hill room email the hotel asking for a room on the 7th floor at either end of the hotel - i have only had one hill room and had no problems but have heard of people moaning about the early morning alarm call. Rooms ok- carpets need freshened but rooms large and clean.

Grounds are great , two pools with plenty of space around them. Towels provided - and you can have as many as you like - I like at least 3 on the bed and one to walk to the pool. Pool boys are very helpful. Entertainment during the day includes putting competition, water polo, water volleyball, fruit carving, curry cooking, cocktail demonstrations.........

Couldn't fault the service, all staff very friendly. I spend many nights in Sigi's bar- it isn't very busy others sit in the lobby with the band. Have made many friends here including the bar staff.

Eating wise the hotel is ok but food is so much cheaper outside , can list you many places to eat.... Marios best Italian, Jewel of the North best Indian, Kampong best Chinese and ofcurse Long Isalnd Hawkers (not the one across from the hotel). Many other places to... and ofcourse the visit to the Eastern and Oriental Hotel in Georgetown on a Friday night.

I maybe going over late July beginning of August , I know of others going over later in August . I've made many friends over the years.

Hope this makes sense.
Thanks for all that info. As far as I know we have 2 standard rooms without a balcony so not sure whether this is a hill room as you call it? As for the early call to prayers, how early is it??
Did you eat breakfast at the hotel or go outside?
If you haven't got breakfast included I would definitely go out for it. I think my favourite breakfasts were in Penang. Most days we went to somewhere called The Net( probably long gone now- very basic looking with a corrugated iron roof). Banana rotis, fresh fruit juice and tea or coffee for next to nothing.
Go out for breakfast- although its good not worth the money, as Fiona says eating breakfast out of the hotel is better, but if like me a cup of coffee and biscuit in the room is enough. The fridges in the room are empty so you can stock up on milk, lemonade.. or in the case of many people tiger beer.... There is a small supermarket across from the hotel which gives you the basics.

For lunch you must venture down the alley between the Lone Pine and The Golden Sand... Go to the concrete tables and have some food from the chinese, and ofcourse a couple of bottles of Tiger Beer.... freezing cold... Ignore what it looks like, you would never eat at home in a place like this but the food is great and you are made to feel welcome.

The mosque starts early morning- if you wish to upgrade email the hotel and ask how much it would be for a seaview cheaper than through tour operators - they are slightly smaller than the hill view. I have been all types of rooms and was quite happy with my hill view on the 7th floor, never spent too much time in it. Its only a small mosque but has a speaker on it - I never noticed it but I think I had one or two drinks before i went to bed. (oops)

Enjoy- if you want to know anything else just let me know. May see you there.

Moira
Thanks for that great info. I love Tiger beer so will definitely be having a couple of them! We are all really looking forward to this visit. We have never tried Malaysia before ( apart from a few days in Singapore). We have been to Thailand before and loved it so it will be interesting to see how if differs from there.
I'm sure I will think of other things to ask you before we go...
This is a superficial question but are the rooms supplied with tea/coffee/water/ toiletries daily?
Not sure whether to upgrade to sea facing rooms... we have two rooms so it could work out expensive. Do you know if there are inter-connecting rooms available?
There are interconnecting rooms.

Tea and coffee facilities in room - you are given 2 small bottles of water in the morning and usually 2 more in the evening. The tap water in the hotel is ok, I often have a glass of iced water in the evening ( don't worry I do have alcohol too).
Thanks. I will email the hotel and request interconnecting rooms and also enquire how much it will be to upgrade to seaview.
prada,definately eat,down the alley,that moppit has described,at the concrete tables.the food is great & is very cheap.my sister,actually told me to eat there,as she goes to penang regularly.
it is a family stall i think,& the girl who cooks,is called leanne.there is a photo,of my husband & leanne,in the malaysia album.they make you feel really welcome & it is her brother andrew,who has got the kampong,that has also been recommended.
we ate out for breakfast,at a little place,further down from the park royal,on the same side,it is on the corner,again nothing to look at,but the breakfasts,were fantastic value.could not fault it!
enjoy penang
tracy
prada!
have you looked in the malaysian photo album,under penang?
there are some photos,of the golden sands,posted by another member.
tracy
Thanks tracy, I will take a look. Will definitely be looking for the 'concrete tables' place.

I have read somewhere that there is an internet place over the road form the hotel - is that right?
if i remember rightly there is,because i am sure,it is where we got some photos,put on disc.i must admit,it's not something i look for,on holiday,but i am sure there were computers,when we went in.
maybe someone can confirm,for definate
tracy
Booked to go to the Golden Sands last night- flying on the 31st of July- can'y wait.
Last minute holidays- they must be great :) We book ours way in advance due to me only having set holidays and having to work it in with OH who works in the North Sea. I keep thinking I would like to go back to Penang and I wonder how different Batu is now from when we were there in 2001.
Thanks for your replies, hope you have a great time Moppitt, I'll just miss you I think, we get there around 18th Aug.

Does anyone know whether cash machines are widely available in Penang?
Just back from my staying in the Golden Sands... All in all it was fantastic.

Many rooms are becoming shabby but a major renovation is happening and by next summer 2/3rds of the rooms should be completed. My room was perfect though...7th floor, new carpet, very quiet. The staff were fantastic, unsure of the new manager - had very little presence in comparison with the last one but the rest of the staff could not have been friendlier- mind you I have known many of them for a while now.

Batu ferringhi was as good as normal. Ate at the usual places, cold Tiger and some food from the alley way at lunchtime (Leang is expecting a baby in September), Kampong, Hawkers or Marios at night time. OOps forgot an extremely enjoyable evening at the E and O hotel - highly recomend the Friday night there.

Met many people I have met before plus many more (mainly Aussies).

Whole holiday was very relaxing, I managed to walk the length of the beach 4 times, one with a thunderstorm following me back to the hotel. Joined in the putting competition, water volleyball and the cocktail demonstration (twice, only on once a week). Took the local bus to the local fishing village and had a walk around there.

I missed Tony Blair by a couple of days- he was staying next door in the Rasa.

Well what can I say- wish I was still there.
I know the feeling- pretty depressing in the Uk this summer
What was the weather like? Did it rain at some point every day?
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.