Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
Sharm Airport
168 Posts
My advice to anyone is leave in plenty of time

Not a lot you can do if you have to wait for the coach from the hotel though.
Tell your Holiday Rep. that your not going to use the coach for your transfer from the Hotel to the airport, and make your own way via a local taxi. May cost a little bit, BUT well worth it to get there in good time.
As I mentioned in a previous post, I returned from SES also on the 17th. March. I can also sympathise with every point your daughter made. The airport is an absolute joke. Anyone who thinks the queues to get through immigration on arrival are bad, will think that a breeze compared with getting out of the country.
The problem stems from the point that all UK departures - like arrivals - happen on Thursdays between 5 and 6.30 pm. With Thomas Cook, First choice, TUI and other operators having flights to Manchester, Gatwick and sometimes Luton. This amounts to perhaps 10 or more flights carrying 300 passengers all trying to get through the system together.
To try to help their own customers, the operators now try to beat each other to the airport. The result being - in my case - arriving at SES airport 3 hours before departure. Now that alleviated the stress of missing the flight because of all the queues you mentioned. But it introduced the problem of having to sit in an overcrowded, no seating airport for 2 hours.
I am returning in October - I'm a glutton for punishment - and I could get a taxi myself (after all it's only £5, the same price as a coach transfer) but I wouldn't be able to work out the best time to get it.
The only advice that can be given is if you realy want to go to SES, you will have to put up with the airport experience. And secondly go to the toilet at the hotel - that's another story.
That was one thing I was not looking forward too. When we arrived there were tons of people trying to get Visa's etc and their were tons of queues. Our baggage didnt even arrive on the right conveyor belt.

Getting out was worse though and it was jam packed with people trying to leave/find seats. Its just a shame we had to sit their for 2 hours :(

I would definately go again though just for the scuba diving :lol:
briarskeg what about setting up a petition :shock: :shock: medot.x
TomK, I have a question. Where did you get the seat?
Hi
Well thank goodness wonderful Sharm Airort is still so un-organised !!! I was getting a bit panicky when I was last there in September and it all looked like it was getting a bit "hi tec". I go again in 3 and a half weeks , and I know I am in the minority when I say I love the airport, Sharm wouldn't be Sharm without all that faboulous chaos!
Love SB xxx
Caveman

And secondly go to the toilet at the hotel - that's another story

:shock: What do you mean by that, havent they got loos at the airport then? I am always in the loo due to my condition, now i am worried :cry:
See post
http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=26604&highlight=toilet

Also note there is not a toilet in the departure lounge. That can cause problems on delayed flights. That is how I recall it, but will stand corrected. The toilets - mens - I would only use if I was absolutely desperate.
Well that is a disgrace, i have never heard of a airport with thousands of holidaymakers and no loo in the departure lounge, Briar when you send your info to the Console, mention loos as well. Us as adults are supposed to hold on but what about children?

Once through to departure ounge, can you not go back if you are desparate, my medication has to make me go, i have no choice. If i knew this i wouldnt have booked the holiday :cry:

In italy they want tips for paper, the difference is though that they are fantastic loos, so you dont mind.
I have just phoned TC travel up as most of their staff have been there. She said it was a minimum of 50p a sheet. Because she couldnt see any loos as it is a small airport, they didnt go through to departure until 5 mins before take off. There wasnt any seats anyway.

So basically i will stay where you check in until 5 mins before my flight.

No drinks for me then :?
you can go back through to the toilet from the departure lounge. I was there too on the 17th amongst the chaos but did see people going to the loo after they had gone through to the departure lounge. They seemed to have their passports and boarding cards with them, then simply came back through the security check.

I would not advise anyone to buy duty free at the airport. I heard one man saying he had qued for over half an hour only to be told they don't take credit cards only USD of £'s. ????
Thanks Barbara, thats a 'relief' in more ways than one :wink:
Mazzy1 says in another thread
I'm a new member & have read all your entries with interest. We are going to the Conrad in June, our first trip to Egypt. Can anyone advise which would be the best currency to take with us?

I think the answer must be.........................toilet paper, it's about the same price as 1LE.
If you dont 'buy' the 50p loo sheet, do you still have to pay to use the toliet? I will bring my own.
How much will you be charging for yours?
That's the point I don't get from an ealier post. When i was there the queue to get to the departure loung circled the whole of the restaurant seating area. Now that amounted to some 150+ people. If you leave the departure lounge and go to the loo. You surely can't just walk to the front because you've already shown your documents before, can you? I'd have thought you'd get a few dirty looks.
Hi
Hi Briar, I am now distraught :bawl I really, really loved that old airport, things will never be the same again.....
Very sad SB xxxx
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.