America/Canada Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in America and Canada
We loved Macys which is the biggest shopping complex in the world, also sketchers, shops like TK Maxx (forgot the usa name for this shop, plenty of jeans, shoes etc all near the empire state building. Up your end are the more expensive shops except Gap, they seem to have several of them, saks, denim world etc, plus all the gucci you want. The apple store is quite impressive as well if you are into computers or ipods, a lot cheaper than the UK. Bloomingdales is large in itself, dont forget your discount card, and from Macys as well. Most of the cheaper shops are around Macys, and up and down the streets. Just take lots of money :tongue It took us half an hour to walk from central park back to 30th street, and that is 2 blocks from ESB. Have a lovely time x
Like TJ MAXX is Filenes Basement, I like the one in union square.
Also Century 21 http://www.c21stores.com/#/store-locations/?store=manhattan
but it can be a bit of a jumble.
If you go to Macy's don't forget to go to the customer services department, show them your passport and you'll get extra discount!!
Thanks for the tips so far, can't wait to start spending!!! :cheers
Wish i was back there :rofl I love spending, we even had a personal shopper in Macy's and Bloomingdales, i felt like royalty, though i don't think the personal shopper was all that impressed when i kept going to the sales lines :D We took 4 suitcases home with us and came out with 2, hows that for shopping !
We went to Woodbury Common Outlet Village. It is about a 45 minute coach journey from Manhatten but if shopping is your thing it is definatley worth it as it is so ridiculously cheap.

you can buy the tickets for the coach there of the same guys who sell the tour bus tickets, you need to get the bus from the Port Authority bus terminal by Madison Square Garden.

The only down side is not being able to carry more bags than is possible because it really is that cheap.
Does Woodbury common have designer shops?

Where about is Tiffanys?

Any recomendations of places to eat around 7th Ave?

Going in Feb, hope weather is good...but doubt it somehow!! :que
Liz
Yes there are designer shops, check out http://www.premiumoutlets.com/woodburycommon for details
Tiffany's is on 5th Ave I think near E56th or E57th Streets.
7th Avenue is a very long avenue so it depends where you are staying, but you are never far away from a restaurant. If you are staying near Times Square you will find loads..

Judith
We went in Feb for our anniversary, the weather had everything and i was dying for it to snow :rofl When we arrived it was cold and crisp, definitely you will need ear muffs which you can buy from the tat shops as i call them. The cold whistles through the tall buildings, but strangely enough when we arrived we were going around central park on a horse and cart with a blanket on our knee in the sun. We did get snow for 2-3 days and it was fantastic and warmed everything up, very odd weather but we had everything. We stayed in the 30/30 hotel and it was in a great location and went with virgin :)
We are staying at The Salisbury Hotel.

Thanks for replys xx
I'm baffled by the whole shopping in New York talk, My wife and I have just got back from a fantastic week in New York,
The shopping appeared to be a little cheaper than the UK in the shops in town, but nowhere near the bargains that
we'd read about, the other issue we had was, we were told you were only allowed to bring back $100 worth of goods
after that everything was eligible for taxation when you arrive in the UK, so how do people manage to come back with
extra suitcases?????? let alone a few items that amount to $100. Surely your airline knows how many suitcases you took
with you, and to return with an extra 2 seems a bit strange to me.
I'm baffled.
You are now allowed to bring back duty free, I think it is, £340 per person which is $555 or $1110 for 2 people. You can buy a lot of stuff in the US for that money.

luci :wave
Well I'll be darned.....the wife was positive that on the flight over there she read that the limit was $100.00
maybe she was looking at something completely different.
thanks for the reply. Going back next summer for another week so will stock up that time.
The limit was increased fairly recently, but it still used to be about £140(?)

Full info on HM Revenue and Customs allowances travelling from outwith the EU HERE

It's a pity you hadn't checked before travelling.

luci :wave
We usualy throw a load of old rubbish in your suitcase on the way out and fill it up with new items on our return.

don't forget to remove all packaging and labels and you will be fine.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.