America/Canada Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in America and Canada
Clothes are cheaper / better quality, Check out Century21 near ground Zero for big bargins. We Buy all our clothes in the US and most X-mas presents. (Just remember you can only bring £145 of gifts each back in to the UK :wink: :lol: (remove all tags ect before packing )

A lot depends on what you want to buy, Budget items are as cheap in the UK from places like Matalan ect but as soon as you start to move up to better quality the US is way cheaper
Armani Jeans in York UK £120 per pair - Just bought in San Marco - Texas for $44.95 ie £26.50 per pair. RL / Tommy Hilfiger / Banana republic ect all have the same type of savings. New York Will be slightly dearer than these but way cheaper than UK

Electrical goods ie MP3 players / Sony PSP are slightly cheaper but you will need an adaptor to charge up in the UK (and charging will take much longer).

Graham & Kathy
Just been in touch with a friend who has just got back from NY and the Sony PSP is selling for $140 (£83) at Toys-R-us in Time Sq. compared to £180 here. Games are going for $20 there as well. These are multi region so will play UK games as well.
Big savings to be made if you have children.

Graham & Kathy
just occurred to me.....are Game Boy Advance's multi region? I got my cousin's kid a scooby doo game when I was there, but it's for xmas....and I never realised a games machine could be 'regional'. I knew it happened with dvd's etc...but not games consoles.
For shopping Woodbury Common Premium Outlet is meant to be very good, we go to the Orlando Premium Outlet and find it very good.
Claire :wink:
I've been to Woodbury Common although some time asgo now and thought it was quite poor.

With some things beware, if it is too cheap then it is probably fake......Armani jeans for $44.95 sound too good to be true even in Texas.........unless of course they came from the official Emporio itself but I haven't seen them in Texas.......

However, most items of clothing are significantly cheaper....
Thanks very much. Looks like my kids will benefit from some new clothes. Thanks for the advice about taking tags off.

Which areas are the best shops in (when i say best I mean the best for bargins)? :lol:

Thanks
......Armani jeans for $44.95 sound too good to be true even in Texas.........unless of course they came from the official Emporio itself but I haven't seen them in Texas.......

I have never seen them this cheap ($55 in Vegas ) but they were on offer the second week, so a bargain
The AX outlet is at the new Premium Outlets near San Marco on the main interstate between San Antonio & Dallas (I35 ??) They were $80 the first week so I bought some Perry Ellis ones instead :D but when we returned at the end of the holiday they were down to $44.95
There is also an AX at the main outlet mall just above Plano (Dallas) but this was more expensive (Tommy / RL were cheaper here though :roll: )

Graham & Kathy
Tourists can get an 11% discount card at Macy's. Just take your ID to the gift wrapping area and you'll get your card. I like Macy's because they sell everything.
Good news re PSP. I'm going in Nov and hope to pick up some things for the kids. PSP for 1 and Nintendo DS for the other. Will remember re adaptor and multi region games. Also daughter wants some Timberland boots so hoping to get them cheaper in NYC.
The K-Mart near Macy's sell cheap jeans and a good range of deck shoes. Also check out thir lowest floor at subway level
How much is a nice amount to take to New York for spending, i will be there for three days and nights and want an iPod Nano and just to to see what the clothes are like?
Is it expensive for clothes?
I believe an iPod Nano will be around 40% cheaper here than in the UK. A 2GB one should be around $200 (which is...what...about 120 pounds?).
Ok thanks for that,
I've exchanged some money already, i have 310 dollars upto now, but looking to add more to that after the amount of people saying PSP games are cheap and clothes etc lol
Hi, just a few things that I really am stuck with, so any help would be very grateful!

1. I've been told by many that 'Timberland' boots are very cheap, is this true or is it what they find in sales?

2. Is Macy's a shopping mall or just a large store of its own?

3. I'm looking for fast food outlets/cheap eating is this common in Midtown Manhattan?

Any of these questions to be answered would be very nice!!
Thanks
I'm off to New York in 7 weeks time. I have no children, no husband but an alcoholic mother to deal with. Any suggestions? I know to cut the tags off the clothes and ensure it doesn't look like I have over £145 worth of bought goods with me.

Edit. I've merged your post with a similar topic. Pippy :wink:
Hi

I am planning a shopping trip to New York for Oct/Nov 2008. Could anyone tell me rough prices for a four night break.
The hotel needs to be near the big shops, rating from a 3 star upwards.
Any of your tips and advice would be gratefully recieved.
Also would it be cheaper to to book now or nearer the time.

Thankyou :D
Hi Charley, have a search for New York in this forum and also the thread in the city break forum, which you'll find here - http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=16727 for more info. You'll find lots of hints and tips in there. Once you've read that, you'll probably have some more specific questions. It's a good idea to read up on the areas so you can plan where will be best to stay, it's a big place and not all of the big shops are together.

Trip Advisor is a good site for hotel reviews from people who have actually stayed there. It also has a forum -
http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g28953-i4-New_York.html

A local travel agent should be able to help with prices but to give you a rough idea we are going in May for the first time - two direct flights from Manchester are costing £700, we are staying the Radio City Apartments for 5 nights and that's costing around £400.
I am thinking of going for a short break to New York in June next year. Any suggestions for the best part of the city to stay ? We are mainly going for shopping. Also, is it best to book a flight now or wait till nearer the date.
Thanks.
Merged with similar topic which contains info you may find useful :wink:

Pippy :D
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.