Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
In addition to the above, does anyone know which hotels in Candolim Airtours/MyTravel do business with. I need a strategy in case of the worst at the Dona Alcina.

It's getting near to departure (14th) and I'm in a bit of a predicament as I have booked a holiday to Goa as a present for 2 friends (their first time) and much as i know Goa I don't want to totally freak them out if i have just bought them a holiday in hell regarding accom'.

At least I know if I get there early before the tour op' bus via taxi I am one step ahead of the game and can ask about other MyTravel hotels.

Thanks a lot folks.

(coming up for 5th time to Goa both N&S)
Hi Neil I can recommend the Phoenix Park excellent accomodation and staff, I have spoke to a lot of people in the past who dont really rate the Don Alcina. Saying that i have also heard they have given it a lick of paint. The Highland Beach is another good hotel, I believe they are doing building work there at the moment but not causing much upheavel might be able to get in there cheap due to this. Friends of mine cancelled before they knew full story. Both these hotels are in the brochures you mentioned. Hope this helps a little.

Paul
Haven't been in the Donna but have seen lots of poor reports on it, had a bit of a look at the silver sands last year and whilst not overly impressed I would have been happy to stay there. Re the Phoenix Park, very good hotel but I don't think that it is on the Airtours books.
As far as finding out what hotels they do use, stating the obvious, look on line at their site :lol:, print off the relevant pages and take them with you.
del949
The Dona Alcina isn't too good despite a coat of paint on the outside. Some friends stayed there last year and said it was poor. Don't know the Silver Sands but passed it several times and it looks a lot better than the Dona Alcina.
I've heard good reports on Phoenix Park and Highland Beach,as Paulisreal says.
If the worst comes to the worst, there are loads of rooms to let in that area - not too dear. Big Daddies, Casa Sea Shell and several between the Dona Alcina and the Taj Hotel.
Hope it works out!
Hi Neil
We went to the Dona Alcina last year ,taking all our family for their first trip to Goa...we had heard some bad things about the hotel but as we all have different ideas about hotel standards we took a chance.
We have stayed all over India but were so gutted when we saw the state of our rooms I felt terrible taking the kids there...especially as they've listened to us raving on so much about Goa!
There were stains all over the furniture which was in such a state it looked like it was ready for the tip, the white plastic chairs on the balcony were streaked black and the view from the window was a great big water tower which looked like it was falling down it was so neglected.
I am not exaggerating when I sayit was the absolute pits and there was no way we were staying there please believe me, I'm not a fussy type, we just wanted clean basic rooms and felt they were taking the mickey big time...
As we needed 4 rooms the offer of 2 was no good to us so we spent all afternoon up and down the road looking for rooms..still we couldn't find 4 together.
We dropped in to see Raj at the Goa Tailors and when he found we were stuck he put us in touch with Richard at the exchange and travel shop next door..
Richard did his best to find us rooms and we were so grateful for his help. During the holiday Richard dropped by to check that we were ok and even brought us a special cake. Richard and his wife Diamond are a lovely couple to know.
Before we left last year we enquired at a few hotels, they were all happy for us to look at the rooms and we will be staying at a guest house opposite the Dona Alcina this year!! Roll on 19th of Jan
The kids are coming again plus 4 more...they didn't want to come home last year and have spent all year looking forward to next week and I was so relieved that they loved Goa too...

ps Go to http://www.johnthemap.co.uk as most of the hotels and restaurants are shown on the map and it will give you an idea as to where everything is... hope it helps
It's a no brainer I think.... doh! The place sounds like my student flat in the 70's.

No point getting worried now... anything is better than freezing up here in Scotland..... brrrrr.

Thanks for the info'. We've got a good few friends in Goa so we'll find somewhere when the time comes.

At the moment we will all be happy with some sun, curry and roti, fresh air, vibe and of course a nice cold beer!
You'll be there before us so good luck....nothing can beat the sunshine ,fabulous food...the whole place...if you see a crowd of 9 people, all different ages give us a wave!!!
Will let all know about our accom when we get back( don't want to think about that yet!):lol:
Here's the lowdown. I'm in Candolim right now staying at the Dona Alcina on and off when not travelling.

Yes it's a one star hotel and a bit grubby. Not dissatisfied as have only really paid 600rps a night for a room. There are a few mos' and is basic. I have a top floor room with a view over the palms. If I had a pool view I would be going nuts with the music at night.

If you want to know if you are getting ripped off take the room rate of your flight and work it out. I think this is a MyTravel issue, they are the ones ripping you off.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.