Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
sim cards
21 Posts
Just about anywhere really, you will see the signs advertising them. or just ask your taxi driver
Anybody know what the prices are to call/text UK off one of the Indian Sims?
Hi Boozle - Don't know the prices but I bought a SIM card with minutes pre-loaded for about a tenner and I got at least a half hour's worth of calls to UK and about 10 texts.

As usual, it's a lot cheaper than over here!
I bought an Indian Sim last year and it saves you a fortune. Its costs 5 rupees to text the UK and its 1 or 2 rupees to text another Indian number.
goa
I did same as Gemma 33 - bought it in elephant shop
I got mine from a wee shop at Baga Beach (I think). Sikander from the shack done it all for me :D
P.S. See you in November OAP :D
We had to provide a copy of our passport to buy a sim card from the elephant shop in Candolim. (I assume its the same everywhere)

Just took it in with us and they did a copy whilst we waited, got a sim card staight away. the guy in the shop says its all down to indian red tape,

Obviously the guys who administered this last year are now working in the UK embassys visa section :offtop

The numbers you get are recycled regularly, so dont be suprised to get some indian guy calling you asking to speak to daljit or whoever last had the sim. Mind you it does make for some intersting conversations the first 20 times that it happens . :rofl :rofl
I have often bought a sim card from the Elephant Shop for 800 rupees which does for all our texts during our 6 week stays.

Agree with the occasional mysterious calls when using these "re-cycled sims" and you may find that strange numbers appear in your phone book where numbers from the previous user have been saved to the sim card rather than their phone.

I'm looking at the practicalities of using Skype in Goa.
Have still got my Indian Sim from last year - being a long termer it pays to keep the same number. Last season it was 5 rups a text!!! it is really cheap to ring home - but would advise if there for a long time to use the telephone boxes to ring the family. Will be using the sim for emails this year something like 15 rups a day.

Please inform an old timer, not a technology person - what is skype
heard about it this week.

As the saying goes - better to look a fool for a few minutes than not to learn.

Thanks
Skype is a company owned by eBay, they provide the means to get telephone message down an internet connection so in theory you can talk for hours for free all over the world.

The Hotel that we will be staying in Candolim provide wifi in our room (wifi is access to the internet without cables) i.e. you can access using a laptop or wifi mobile phone. So, if I can log into Skype in India, then I should be able to telephone world wide for nothing. Watch this space for more news.

NB., It's not too complicated ~ I also have a bus pass!

Regards
Thanks to you both - can't sleep so playing on the computer. But now find I am brain dead - will look into this in the morning. Thanks anyway.
Do any of you know if a laptop counts as hand luggage, or can you take that and a bag.
:?:
Skype is a company owned by eBay, they provide the means to get telephone message down an internet connection so in theory you can talk for hours for free all over the world.

You should have added - only if the other party also has Skype. :D
No, that is not quite correct. Because many mobile phones now have access to Skype
Paula Wales

The laptop counts a one piece of hand luggage, it is that or a handbag.Last year, it was a laptop, or a handbag or a small trolly case. If you take any electrical items into the cabin they have to be put through the xray machines at the airport separately, I am wondering if it is worth taking the chance and putting the laptop into the hold luggage, or even leaving it at home. Unless you have somewhere to connect it to the internet it will be useless anyway, but hubby wants to watch DVD's on it.

Well we will be there for nearly 3 months.
I forgot to say, as this is what I came onto this listing for, the sim card that I bought in Goa last year is still working, it uses 02 for its network, I am hoping that it will still work when I get back to Goa. I had about 500 rupees left on it, I have made the odd call. and there is still credit.
Paula Wales.

Regarding the taking on board aircraft of notebooks/laptops.

Check with the airline/airport that you are using, we are flying with BA to Mumbai. Heathrow security require you to show that the laptop works (so it will be charged up) We have a 13 in MacBook which is small and very light weight and the laptop case we have, doubles as a travel bag for all the documents etc. so my husband carries it as his only bag. we put the little charger in the suitcase.

Regards,

Patricia.
Paula we took a laptop also. People are correct it does count as one piece of hand lugggage, but if your laptop is pretty compact then you can fit it inside another holdall and still have some room left over for other items. Customs will ask you to take it from the case to go thru the scanner. Dont think a lot of Goan hotels have Wifi connection tho. We wanted to take the laptop to the Marinha Dourada but they dont have internet access in the bedrooms.
Very good point regarding Wifi in Goa, we get it in the Lemon Tree but we have to get an access code from the reception. So it's not a public one.

I think but only think that the upstairs coffee bar near the Levi Shop in Panji has Wifi.

Regards
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.