Far East

Discussions regarding holidays in the Far East.
Les127, really enjoyed your report, why would you not vist Bali again?, can I ask do you prefer Goa?
I think a lot of folks have a vision of what Bali beaches should look like and are surprised when they actually see them. You just don't go there for the beaches. It was certainly disappointing to see established beach shacks no longer there and temp ones in their place.
Any restaurants you would recommend? Did you manage to get alcohol or were you caught in the shortages? Was the weather good?
What did you do in Singapore?
We are actually on the verge of rebooking Bali for next summer, along with Singapore :D
Fancy doing a couple of hotel reviews? :wink:
Hi Les
Thanks for your report.
You sound like me after our first visit to Bali... I said I'd never go back unless I won a free trip, however, I did eat my words and we are booked to go for our 8th time in March 08.
In hindsight as nice as the PS is maybe it was too long a stay and perhaps it would have been best to break your stay into two areas. We stay a week about Legian and then Sanur. Sanur is known to be more European and has a quieter atmosphere. Legian has lots of nice hotels and heaps of lovely restaurants. It also has beach bars where you can chat to the locals and meet others.
I know what it's like to be practically the only English speaking people in a hotel as we have stayed in hotels that are heavily marketed in Europe. Although everyone was nice with lots of polite nodding and smiles, never the less I did feel socially isolated... I much prefer a good mix of all Nationalities.
I think it's horses for courses because I'm not overly fussed on Singapore, but it wouldn't do if we were all the same. :lol:
Where to next ?
Cheers Gerry
shirley, it it just wasnt anything out of the ordinary as far as we were concerned.as stated,i was dissapointed with our beach,coupled with a lot,and mean lot of hassle from sellers,i realise that they are only trrying to earn a living,and its not as if ive never been to places where you get hassled by sellers as im off to goa (6th time) again in april (yes i do prefer goa shirley)

fiona...... there was no problem getting alcohol,i liked bintang and bali hai beer was fine too. wife mainly drank cocktails. i couldnt fault the weather at all,was hot every day .i tried the village at the top end of sanur,i think it is part of the griya santrian hotel,we went there on our silver wedding annivarsary and would recommend it,was very good.also where we stayed , the cat and fiddle was ok, but i thought mago was the best and livliest,thats when you come out of the puri santrian and turn left and walk for about for about 30 seconds and your there.we tried donalds (restraunt ) on the beach as a few people recommended it on first day and didnt like the meal,but there was a donalds out side of our hotel which was full quite often,but because wife and i didnt enjoy the beach donalds we never tried the one on main road as i assumed it was the same restraunt owned by same people,maybe im wrong,i dont know.i think your right when you say people like myself have a certain vision of bali imprinted in your mind and unfortunatley for us it didnt live up to expectations.however this is only our opinion,and not intended to put a dampener on anyone elses holidays to bali.as i stated in original post the holiday was ok,just nothing special as far as we were concerned.

gerib,....i think you may be right,if we stayed at different places,ie....legian ,maybe it may have been better.your right also about feeling a little isolated as with regards to other people to converse with of your own tongue. thought it was a good time to write this as i cant sleep been up since 3.30 am. :roll: by for now

there completed! ,ive even done a hotel review for the holiday inn atrium in singapore as well as the puri santrian in sanur. its the least i can do ,considering all the useful information that i gain from this site. anyone wish to know anything about these particular hotels dont hesitate to get in touch and i will help as much as i can,even if you need to see any photos,regards leslie an d tina.although ill need a little time to sort phoos out onto pc .

sorry forgot to mention, we went to singapore zoo which was brilliant .we intended to stay there 2 or 3 hours and stayed there 6 hours,anyone going with kids would absolutley love it.every animal i can think of was in there including a comodo dragon!.
sentosa island in singapore,what a great place too.beaches were very good,there is so much to do there.
went to raffles and had the obligatory singapore sling,its a facinating building.
Hi les127 - everyone

We just got back last night after 12 nights Legian Beach hotel and 3 nights in singaporeon the way back- sounds stupid les but I spoke to a couple in singapore airport waiting to get though imigration who mentioned India's que's where so much worse and I agree having been a few times maybe that was you and your wife - sorry fiona slighty off topic :oops: Kutu and Legian are lovely resorts plenty to do and lots of bars and restaurants to choose from, the sea on Legian side has very large waves, strong currents etc - very much like Goa, I could only paddle so we decided to have a day at Sanur and the sea is totally different, flat calm, we thought we had cracked it if we where to return but come lunch time when the tide went out its was rocky and you would have had to walk a long long way to get the water to swimming depth....not good. We walking back into the town and decided their was a few bars and as with any holiday resort as you explore more you find more bars and restaurant on back streets.

However now I have read your report I think it will be back to Legian and as you like Goa so much Les, Im sure you would have had a far better time as that side of island, we meet and spoke to lots of people during our stay......plenty of brits now living in Oz, they would ask where we came from .........Leeds we replied.........ok so where do you live now! they all expected you to have moved out to Oz.

Our next Goa fix is booked for Jan.........still jet lagged so havent worked out how many sleeps yet ha ha

Regards Jules
thanks Les for the reviews :D
Jules- glad you enjoyed your holiday!
Hi Les
I must say I feel the same way about Bali as you.We were so looking forward to it and when there what a let down it was.Been to several place's in Asia and have returned to most of them, Penang 4 time's sad I know but we love the place but Bali never again.Off to Bangkok and Cambodia in 5 week's can't wait.
goanaddict i think it was us who you were talking to in the queue,you were at the front and we were right behind you .
what a co-incidence :lol:
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.