Far East

Discussions regarding holidays in the Far East.
I have been looking forward to your report! As you may remember we are going to the Puri Santrian at the end of July. Sounds like we made a good choice! Can I ask you about money changing- are there ATMs in Sanur? Did you have transport included in your holiday- or did you just get a taxi from the airport? I am sure I will be back on with more questions!
Thanks for your report! ( and congratulations on your wedding!)
If you don't mind me asking- how much did you pay for Dean? ( you can pm if you don't want to say on this post?) I just need a rough figure. Also did you tip him? On the general tipping question, do you tip as a matter of course? As you know, in Singapore tipping is not expected. Did you buy loads and what are the best buys?
Hi Fiona

Thank you for your response. To answer your queries:

No problem with ATMs in Sanur, although each transaction carries a £1.50 commission charge by your UK bank (well, ours did ...) - but you get a much better exchange rate than taking currency with you, so you win in the end.
We booked through Kuoni and our transfers were included (they were excellent, no probs at all) but you will have no trouble if you are looking for a taxi. You will be approached by porters as soon as your cases come off the belt, and they expect a couple of thousand Rupiah each for wheeling your luggage (probably works out to less than 50p).

Dean charges 300,000 Rupiah per day - works out to about £17, and there are no hidden charges for car parking or similar, we feel he represented superb value for money and we tipped him at the end of our stay, because he did various things over and above what was expected.

For example, I mentioned to Shaun (my *new* husband)that I had not bought any postcards and the following day, which was one of the days we had not booked Dean, there was a package of postcards from him delivered to the hotel - about 30 cards, and he did not expect or want any payment.

Also, we did not take an international plug for phone charging etc, and Dean bought one and gave it to us. Incidentally, I found phone signal very iffy in Bali, only had a signal about two days, but this was no bad thing!!

Dean is a very genuine and pleasant guy. He has emailed me since our return and I am sure we will keep in touch, even if sporadically. You will not be disappointed if you book him, we really feel we made a friend in Bali.

As to Singapore, you can buy anything you want there, but we have decided we really are not city folk, and we did not buy very much - our favourite purchase is a picture of some koi carp that we bought in the Singapore Handicrafts Centre, ooops, it came from China!

Please feel free to ask any further questions.

Regards

Andrea
Fiona,
If you are staying in the Clarkes Quay area there is a local artist who paints on silk - we have a couple of his paintings of the Singapore city scapes. He has a shop on the opposite side of the river from the Merchant Court hotel - he actually painted the picture of the hotel that appears on some of their postcards. His shop is interesting, and he has some interesting tales to tell.
thanks Andrea for all the info. I am sure I will have other questions. I did not phrase all my questions well- I meant the shopping in Bali! I have heard it is very good.
Sunbear
we are staying in Clarkes Quay on the way outl When we were there last year there was a lot of construction work going on around the shop areas so we didn't go near that part really. I will def go this time though!
Yeah...Clarkes Quay is quite a fun area...stayed there a few years ago in the Merchant Court hotel...there was quite a bit of construction work then as they were building the MRT station.
Hi again Fiona

Shopping in Bali - now that's an experience. Haggling is the order of the day, it is expected, and the shopkeepers will initially quote you a ridiculous price, expect to haggle down to about 40%. They are a bit wily as they will switch from dollars to Rupiahs and back again which adds to the confusion, and together with the inevitable heat in the shops it is easy to get a bit boggled .... if you have something specific in mind, decide what you want to pay before you start and stick to it.

We didnt get to Ubud as the day we were going it was simply too hot and we had been to the market and Celuk, where all the silver jewellery is made and we were all shopped out! Sanur prices may have been a bit above other places but you are talking minimal amounts with the exchange rate being good.

Our favourite shopping trip was to the market at Denpasar, here we were very glad to have Dean with us as it is a local market rather than for tourists, we bought some very nice hand carved wooden pieces, and many packs of incense sticks etc to bring back to try to recapture the lovely scents that you smell from the offerings outside hotels and shops each day.

When you go to the market you will almost invariably be shadowed by someone who is on commission from one of the shops who will be VERY persistent in trying to get you to buy - even though we were with a Balinese, we still had our little shadow and she wouldnt go away!

I have posted just a few bali pix that will give you a taster - at
http://www.pbase.com/andreac
thanks Andrea! I also looked at your wedding photos! They are lovely!
Thanks Fiona! Hope to get some more trip pics online this weekend ...
andrea
I have just found out that my Amec TCC can only use Bii Atms. Can you remember if the ones in Sanur are Bii? I do know that Kuta has plenty but it would help if there was one in Sanur!
Hi Fiona

Scuse my ignorance but what is Bii? The two ATMs just near the Santrian were v modern with their own little air conditioned booths, and I would imagine they are receptive to pretty much everything card wise, certainly all the usual, Visa, mastercard etc

Andrea
Andrea
It is just the AtM that will accept my card. However, Amex have since given me a map of the ATMS in Bali and there are two in Sanur.
Just a quick question regarding Sinapore, I am going to Singapore - Sentosa - Bintan at the end of next June for 10 Days (possibly to get married during the stay in Bintan).

Is June a good time to go? How expensive is the food and shopping? We are planning on taking about $1000 Singapore Dollars and i am hoping this will cover it.

Incidently did you see a hotel in Chinatown called the Royal Peacock?

Many thanks
Sabrina
The end of June will be good weather wise( driest months are February and July).
good news for the shopping- you will be there for the Great Singapore Sale! Runs from the end of May to the middle of July. There really are some great bargains. Look for what you want at home so you have an idea of prices. I bought real designer( as opposed to the fake designer I buy in Thailand!) shoes and bags for just over half price.
http://www.visitsingapore.com/publish/stbportal/en/home.html
I have just looked up the Royal Peacock for you on tripadvisor and it does not have good reviews.
http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g294265-d309916-r3621325-Royal_Peacock_Hotel_Singapore-Singapore.html
Have you actually booked this hotel?
ok
have seen some better ones here
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threadselect.jsp?fid=27
is a budget hotel what you are looking for?
Hi,
The max i have to spend for the 5 Nites is £177, so any suggestions would be good. It doesnt have to be glam, im not one for actually spending much time in the hotel! That and i have stayed in very expensive hotels and still found the service dire!

That said breckfast and clenliness are a must.

Many thanks
Sabrina
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g294265-d306156-Reviews-Allson_Hotel_Singapore-Singapore.html

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threadselect.jsp?fid=27

However, I note that JamesA recommends both the Royal Peacock and the Allson. He is someone who who has travelled extensively in this area( he lives in Thailand ). People on that site take his recommendations seriously and never seem to be let down!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.