Far East

Discussions regarding holidays in the Far East.
Glad you enjoyed it. No the beaches don't compare with Goa. Its a strange thing, as before I went there I had imagined it to have lovely beaches. Did you eat at the Mezzanine at all? We liked it there. We also enjoyed Double Dutch for a few drinks and good music- is it still up and running?? This summer we are trying the sister hotel- the Griya, just because it is in a different area of Sanur and so different places to try. The food in Bali is just great and so cheap :)
Hi Billy, great report, sounds like you enjoyed yourselves, I have never been to Bali, but reading your report makes me want to go , thanks :tup
Hi Billy
Thanks for the just back report... am recently back from Bali myself and love the place, however we are only a 6 hour flight away :D

Last year we stayed at the Puri Santrian and this year stay at the Griya... both were lovely.

I did enjoy the Cat and Fiddle though I read somewhere recently it was Jazz place... I think not :rofl more like Balinese imitation Irish men but they do a grand job singing the Irish songs and the fella on the spoons was just great. The two brothers that own and run it are the British Consul (in an Honorary capacity) and do a lot of wonderful work for the local community.

I'm just in the process of booking a hotel for this time next year... might just see you there.

Cheers Geri
Hi Billy

I agree with other comments its a great place so much so that we are returning this Sept for 2nd visit. We fly from Manchester with Singapore airlines which are excellent, 12hr flight 'ish' 3hrs in Singapore airport which is very big with bars restaurants and plenty of shops then its a couple of hrs to Bali. We stayed in Leigan area its lots quieter than Kuta but still within easier walking distance for bit more life.

Its still too many sleeps to start counting yet :cry

regards
Jules
Fiona
We stayed at the Grand Bali Beach in September 2007 and our favourites were Randy's (Canadian/Balinese), lovely tuna there and Laghawa Terracotta Garden (not to be confused with Laghawa Hotel which is close by), great steaks and cheap G&T.

We also tried:
Bahagia on the corner of GBB road. Not good food, relatively expensive drinks.
Made's Frangipani, we had Foo Yung Hai & Mie Goreng. Good food, relatively expensive drinks.
Ananda's. On beach, past GBB (near where the ferry to Lembongan goes from). Good lunches
Watering Hole. Good food, slow service
Jimmy's bar for drinks
There's a good kite shop just down the side road next to Jimmy's, also sell fairly cheap silver - called Tingklik?

Someone recommended: Cat & Fiddle (past Bali Hyatt), Arena (Bypass Road) but we never managed those.

I don't know if you did this last time you were in Ubud, but try Warung Ibu Oka, near the palace. Good, cheap suckling pig (20,000 Rp). They are only open from late morning to mid afternoon and queues form after midday. It's a bit 'fast-food Balinese style' as you have to share tables and depending where you sit you may have to take your shoes off and sit cross-legged - something that seems to come easy to Orientals but is damn-near impossible for me! They get through about 4 pigs each day and to be honest, if the ones we saw them bringing out were still suckling, the mother must have been the size of an elephant. Good fun, though.

No chance of returning to Bali this year as we're going to Zante in a couple of weeks' time and then (fingers crossed that the T/O gets enough people to make it viable) a 27 day tour of China in October.
cheers folks, didnt try the mezzanine. Been trying to remember some of the names of eateries that we were in. Donalds was nice and so was the place to the right of it. Cant remember the name. We were in the double dutch a few times for a drink aswell. The Cas Luna was nice too for something to eat and they had some children dancing in national dress aswell. We tried the chinese place opposite the Bali Hyat. I think it maybe part of the hotel but not sure. It was quite good but a wee bit more expensive than most places. A good indian meal was had in Little India, not far from the Puri.
On a night out in Kuta we ate at Papa Joes wich we enjoyed very much whilst listening to the inhouse band who were quite good. They were all dressed as chefs ! The Piccadilly was my favourite though and it was the only place that we had dinner in twice. The owner is german and has a few places in Bali and we tried the one in Kuta one night but as much as i liked it, it wasnt a patch on the Piccadilly.
Had lunch at a place on the beach front a few times. Cemara beach i think was its name. It was next to Donalds.Very nice indeed and strawberry milkshakes to kill for. A bit of a brain freeze but waht a taste :tongue I had 3 one lunch time :yikes
If we go back next year i think we will be trying the Griya Santrian as i think its in a better part of town. More bars and restraunts nearby.
The guy you mention Gerib from the Cat and Fiddle is indeed the British Consul and his name is Mark. Hes origionally from Burnley. He seemed a nice bloke. It was him who recomended the Safari and Marine Park, which was my favourite day of the holiday.
good to get some recommendations :) We meant to try the Arena but it did seem a good bit out. Perhaps when we are the Griya we might try to make the effort. We also meant to have a night out in Kuta but couldn't get motivated enough. You just seem to slip into lazy mood when you are there :D
Our trick into enjoying Bali and all it's delights is to stay in the Legian area (not so much Kuta) for a few days first. Do some shopping, lots of bars and eat at some lovely restaurants in nearby Seminyak... do breakfast at La Lucciola or Jimbarran beach restaurants (if you want to get ripped off with their dodgy scales) but the beach dining scene is magical... just remember to take a bottle of water to test the scales... 1 litre of water weighs 1 kilo.
Then head over to Sanur for a proper R&R holiday.
Cheers Geri
:cheers ive uploaded some photos from our trip to Bali. They should be in the upload folder first :que
lovely photos.
Please note that they may be in the upload album for a while yet. Allmen was in charge and he's going to be difficult to replace :cry:
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.