General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Hi nursynewcastle, I'm pretty sure you won't be Billy No Mates, unless you want to be of course. I am sorry that your personal circumstances are as they are It must be a very difficult time for you and your son :(

I took my son away from age of around 4 on my own, and the first time was probably difficult as I had to carry everything, and I am not that strong, but I coped and things got easier. Your lad is 12 so he will be able to pull a case no doubt. I assume that the Hotel will have a pool and both of you can swim, there will no doubt be lots of other children and a few ball games later and he'll be having fun. There will no doubt be other single parents so don't feel as though you are the only ones you really won't be. Other couples will chat to you and vice versa, perhaps a trip to the local waterpark etc.

I am sure you will be fine - let us know how you get on xxxx
Hi nursynewcastle, Im sure you both will have a wonderfull time

4 Years ago in Lido Di Jesolo, there was this single mother, and her 12 yr old girl, now the mother pretty much got the attention of most of the male guest, she was rather attractive, and wasnt affaid to show

Most of the couples help to look after the child, so the child ended up playing with the couple children, even to the fact, the child went on excursions with out the mother
Having your son there will probably more than likely help you to make friends with others. He is bound to make friends with somebody around the pool I should imagine.

I took my girls away on a single parent holiday in 2003 after I chucked their father out. At the time they were 6 and 7 so like you I was dreading it. Needn't have worried for one moment at all :tup

Take this holiday and see it as a chance of maybe a new beginning for you and your son, but do be sure to come back and tell us how you got on ;)
Hope you and your son have a really great time.
Don't worry - new beginnings and all that!
Be sure to let us all know how you got on.
Well to start with your lad is The Man of the house now so he will look after mum, ;)

I'm sure he will be fine and soon make some mates, as for you stock up with lots of books and be determined to have a nice relaxing time.

Having gone through separation before I would recommend time abroad away from it all as the perfect opportunity to think things through and plan for your future.

Have you not got a friend who would fancy a week away for the cost of the admin fee to change names on the tickets?

Hope you have a great time,
Well to start with your lad is The Man of the house now so he will look after mum

whilst this is off topic - and I do agree with looking after Mum - I don't agree with the lad being made to think he is the Man of the House, he is a child and IMHO should not be made to think he is carrying the burden of looking after his Mum
Miss Pink wrote:
Well to start with your lad is The Man of the house now so he will look after mum

whilst this is off topic - and I do agree with looking after Mum - I don't agree with the lad being made to think he is the Man of the House, he is a child and IMHO should not be made to think he is carrying the burden of looking after his Mum

You dont think its rite to expect him to drive to the airport then? ;)
Thankyou for all of your posts.
I'll try to not put pressure on my son and think the suggestion of him being the man of the house was made in a light hearted way, and of course at 12 yr old he will feel more protective of me in my situation !
The last post actually made me laugh, a treat when I've been either in tears or close to tears for days ;)
Edited due to spelling mistake x
I'm sure you'll have a good time,a friend of ours chooses to holiday completely on her own and enjoys it very much,I wouldn't fancy eating on my own but think I'd enjoy having time to myself apart from that.It probably wouldn't cost much to change names and take a friend if you wanted.
Hi there, I have been going abroad as a single parent with my son since the age of 5, at 1st I was dubious, but now, I wouldn't have had it any other way, (he is now 18) this was our time, to get away from normal every day life at home, and were we could both have fun and relax and unwind. My son has had no problems and always mated up with kids his own age, and you get talking to other parents, I always chose, hotels with kids clubs, and made sure he went, (luckily he loved going to kids club ) so I also had time out for a couple of hours a day. With you going AI I am sure there will be a lot of activities for you both :-)
The 1st few days you will most proberly be very self conscious, and may feel out of place, but every time we have gone away, there has "always " been other single paretns also on holiday.
I am certain you and your Son will be fine :-)

Roo
hi....I took 5....3 mine...1 a stepchild and 1 my friends....on my own as hubby chose not to go....was my first time abroad.....the kids still say its the best holiday they ever went on.....family holidays are imprtant for both mum dad and the kids to be together away from all the usual hassle....but if for what ever reason dad or mum cant be there its a good time for the parent and child going to develope a deeper understanding of each other.....the emphasis is so heavily weighted on to the united mum and dad situation the child doesnt realise that we parents are also people in our own right...that we were once single people with a persoality all of our own....our own ways....that we adjusted or changed to suit being a husband wife dad or mum.....

So will be a great time to get to know each other better....the friend and play mate will come out more in you ..... and you will see the little man of the future come out in him....

Dont look for whats missing ...its a new beginning....and your so lucky to be spending time with your son when he is all yours...and you are all his...smile chill out and enjoy what comes.... :hols and no one else to worry about but you and your boy.....tweetie
What a lovely way of looking at it Tweetie,very positive and very wise.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.