Greece and other Greek Island Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Greece and other Greek Islands.
Is there an ATM in Skala Kalloni, Lesbos ?
The last time I visited was 5 years ago and there was a cash point machine in the village then, but when I have checked the visa & mastercard websites, Skala Kalloni does not come up in the listings :cheers
We didn't see an ATM in Skalla Kalloni but there are several in Kalloni town itself. We hired a car but I'm sure there is a bus ti Kalloni or, if not, hire a taxi because its only a couple of miles away.

Regards
Hi, first time posting on here as I've just joined!

I'm going to stay at Hotel Aegeon skala kalloni at the end of august.

Are the taxi's safe to use?

Can I use my travellers cheques at the Hotel Aegeon?

How much is the air conditioning?

How deep is the swimming pool and is there a shallow end, if so how deep?

What time do the shops open and close, as I understand they shut in the afternoon???

The sunbeds on the beach seem to be a pair, are there single ones?

Anything I should be careful of (female on her own)?

Sorry for all of the questions but any advice, suggestions and help are very much appreciated. Thank you.
Hello

Re Hotel Aegeon at Skalla Kalloni

I stayed in this hotel in June. It is a small hotel, fairly basic but nice. There is a pretty swimming pool area. We didn't stay around it much as the sun shades were solid and let in no air. Saying that, during the afternoon there was always a lovely breeze. I didn't use the pool as the shallow end was too deep for me. I am 5'3" and it came to my chest.

We never used a taxi but feel that hotel reception would help you with this.
Can't remember about the price of air conditioning but know it didn't strike as expensive.
The shops stay open until around 11pm. Its a very small, peaceful area with very few shops. Near the village square there is one lovely shop which sells hand made shoes and lots of lovely, unusual things.
Its not expensive to hire a car to Kalloni where there are more shops. But this isn't really an area for much choice. Not sure about bus routes but, again, you could ask at reception. Molyvos is a beautiful place with many more tourist style shops.
The sun beds are grouped in pairs but I wouldn't personally worry about using just one.
There is a beach about five minutes walk away but we preferred to walk just past the village square where the beach seemed nicer.
The village square is lovely.
Hope you like Skalla Kalloni. Its a good place to relax.

The prices are probably the same as in England but we found soft drinks in tavernas and bars to be expensive
Hi Janice, thank you for your informative reply, it's very much appreciated. x

I'm really looking forward to going but wanted to find out as much as possible before I go!

Good advice about the swimming pool as that was very important to me.

When I come back I will post a review.
I have been to Skala Kalloni many times and a couple of times on my own too. I can honestly say that this is one place where I feel totally safe travelling to on my own. The people are just so friendly...please don't worry about this at all!! Also, If you are worried about sunbeds, go and see Ron and Beryl at "Wet and Wild" on the beach between the kalloni 2 hotel and enigma restaurant. I always go to their patch of the beach and have absolutely no problems with single sunbeds. And they have coolboxes.....lilo's.....books......everything you may need for a relaxing time on the beach.
Kath
Hi Kath, thank you very much for your reply.

I certainly feel more confident about holidaying on my own having had replies from you and Janice.

I'm really looking forward to going and any information about skala kalloni is very much appreciated.

:sun2
I've done several posts about Skala Kalloni if you need any more info....the latest on restaurants etc on 24thMay if they can be any more use to you. I KNOW you will have a fab time....thats why I always go back every year!
Kath
Great replies, thank you.

Regarding money in skala kalloni, will I be able to use travellers cheques and exchange them in the hotel aegean?
This is a link to the hotels' website. You could email them and ask about the travellers cheques, but I don't know the answer off the top of my head as I haven't stayed there.
http://www.medsun.gr/en-aigaio.htm
As previously mentioned it is easy to get into the town of Kalloni where there are several banks. Its about 30/40mins walk through the villages :tongue or you could get a taxi and it takes only 10 minutes! The kiosk or the bars on the square will phone taxis for you.
Kath
Hi Kath, thank you for the link and the great advice.

I guess I'm being cautious by asking so many questions because I will be on my own this time, but there are parts of the UK which are probably more unsafe to visit than Lesvos!!! ;)

Thank you again. x :thanks
There's no probably about it, very safe to walk around anywhere in Lesvos after dark, unlike many places in the UK.
Its definitely very safe in Lesvos and if you would like any more information please don't hesitate to ask. When do you travel?
When I went in June, Captain Panos had started up his Anemos cruises again from the harbour if you fancied a boat trip. The BarBQ was very good last time i went on it but I didn't get chance to go on any of his trips this time. If you do go and see Ron and Beryl on the beach say hello from me and tell them that Kath sent you!
I am sending you a couple of links to some photos I took last year in Lesvos and on the site you will be able to find various other groups of Lesvos photos I've posted ...and theres a link for some from this year!
http://grecophilesforum.multiply.com/photos/album/37/Lesvos_2009
http://grecophilesforum.multiply.com/photos/album/41/After_the_Meet_and_beyond
Enjoy!
Kath
Thank you again for great replies.

Kath, brilliant photo's, those links are great. You all look very happy and the pics give me an insight into what to expect. I've packed a dress almost identical or the same as the one you are wearing!!!

I really appreciate all this information. :)

There was a previous post where someone mentioned mosquito's. I've bought avon's dry oil spray which the SAS use! Any other tips regarding the mozzies?

This time next week, I'll be there! :sun2
I just make sure I take a plug-in and I usually buy a room spray when I get there and have a good spray round before I go out and then when I get back at bedtime! I don't find that any one cream/spray for wearing is any better than any other. Any one else got any suggestions?
Kath
Hi, I have very sad news.

I was due to fly out on Saturday morning for my holiday at Skala Kalloni.

Today at half 10 I got a phone call from Thomas Cook to inform me that they had cancelled my holiday!

I am absolutely gutted. I was booked into the Hotel Aegeon and was at first told it was due to building work. However, the hotel is still taking bookings as I emailed them and they are offering rooms so find it very strange my holiday has been cancelled.

When I asked for more information I was told simply, that Thomas cook had withdrawn the holiday and that was that.

I finished work midday and went straight down to the branch. They told me that I will get a refund on what I paid for the holiday but it has yet to be agreed with head office! I will find out tomorrow so now have a night of upset, disappointment and stress.

They are unsure that I will get a refund for my national coach that I booked to take me to gatwick airport. This is outrageous as I paid Thomas Cook for this service and it was included in my bill and not a separate sale. I will take legal action if they do not give me this money back.

I sat there weeping in the branch as it was so upsetting and whilst the staff were lovely and supportive, Thomas Cook procedures for customer service are extremely poor.

I felt physically sick when I said I wanted my money back that I paid for my euro's and travellers cheques. I got them through 'Thomas Cook as I wanted to deal with just the one company for my holiday, insurance and currency. I could have got my insurance and currency cheaper elsewhere but thought it easier to do it all through Thomas Cook. I was almost physically sick when they said that due to exchange rates if I cashed my money in I would lose £60.00!!! I said I was not prepared to accept that and want the exact money back that I paid as I bought the euro's in good faith and it was them not I that cancelled my holiday.

Thank you again for all your kind advice and I will let you know how I get on with getting all my money back and hopefully next year I will be able to holiday in skala kalloni.

:cry
God that's awful - very sorry to hear about the problems you're having especially as I know having read the thread how much you were looking forward to the holiday. Didn't they offer you an alternative?
Hi garin-3, thank you for your post.

I am so upset and the distress is more because of Thomas Cook's poor customer service.

I was offered an alternative hotel but it was on the spot and because I was going on my own I wanted to stay in the Aegeon hotel because it was not a busy place to stay and I was on the first floor of a two up accomodation. I spent ages looking at review on this place and was happy with my choice. The replacement hotel they offered was busy and more central and I declined it because I didn't have enough time to go away and look it up for myself and really didn't want to commit to somewhere busy.

The latest news from a phone call I have received this morning from the staff at the branch is that they will refund me the cost of my holiday (includes accomodation, half board, transfers, 2 inflight meals, extra luggage capacity, flights, insurance) but they will not refund me the full amount of the cost of the national express coach to take me to and from gatwick airport to my home town! I will have to forfeit a £5 cancellation fee even though it was not me that cancelled the holiday!!!

My euro's and travellers cheques are untouched and unused and they have now negotiated a new rate that will leave me approximately £30.00 out of pocket!

Basically, I need not have booked a holiday and should have saved myself the heartache and stress and just popped into the branch of thomas cook and gave them £35.00 as a gift!!!

£35.00 is not a lot of money but it is the PRINCIPLE that I will be fighting for. I have not asked for compensation and have suffered immense disappointment, stress and frustration at their poor customer service.

If I go to Debenhams and buy a dress for £50.00 and return it, I get a refund for £50.00 . For goodness sake if i buy a pack of four doughnuts from Tesco, eat one and return the box with the other three I get a refund for the whole pack not just the three I returned!

Oh I am fuming now. My tears and upset have turned to anger and determination to make Thomas Cook refund all of my money.

Rant over!!!!

ps. Thomas cook have a facebook page and I've been on there with my complaint as it is so unfair to be treated like this.
why didn't you just ask to use their system to find some reviews of the hotel they offered you and assuming it to be a decent place and of an equivalent standard to this aegea, just take that,that's what i would have done,rather than lose money and more importantly not go on holiday,surely getting to the resort and making it a great trip is more important than one good hotel vs another good hotel in the same resort,i'm sure i speak for many on here when i say that in a small traditional resort 99% of the hotels will be very similar both in standard,facilities and welcome from the families that own them.

Good luck with the follow up complaint,go down to first choice with your refund and get yourself a new holiday asap,it's what you make it!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.