General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Hi Pippa,

TK Maxx have a good selection I was looking at one yesterday by Eminent it cost £19.99 a quality piece of luggage at a good price.

They often reduce luggage,

Dave :wink:
The problem with wheeled bags is the wheels add to the weight of the bag and most airlines only allow a maximum of 5kg for hand luggage. I have seen "cabin luggage" bags in TK Maxx which weigh 2kg or 3kg empty! Also you need to make sure the size of the bag fits in with current regulations.
I am aware of the cabin bag size and weight which is one of the reasons I was finding it dificult sourcing one. Sometimes the small trolley cases weigh as much as the larger ones. There are a lot of ruck sacks/back packs with wheels and handle but don't really think they are suitable for her needs.

I don't want her to have to carry any extra weight so will probably leave her to use a flight bag instead. It isn't as if she will have loads of stuff to carry as hand luggage anyway.

Pippa
I saw a small rucksack type bag with wheels on in Matalan earlier this year.It was within the size allowed as hand luggage and had a handle that extended just like the trolley cases.
hello pippa, have you checked hand luggage weight allowance with your mum's airline? i assume that as she is travelling to australia it will be with a scheduled carrier, which may mean the weight she can carry in cabin will be greater than 5 kilos, which is the usual for charters, but you may find your mum can carry up to 10, dependant, of course on the airline in question.
Pippa I believe you mother is flying with Emirates and their handbaggage allowance is 7kilos. I find travelling with a small trolley far superior to a small shoulder travel bag, even if your mother only walks around in the departure lounge for a few minutes the shoulder bag will start to weigh really heavy. I have a very small trolley case 48x31x26cm that weighs just 2 1/2 kilos and find it invaluable.
Yes, Mum is flying with Emirates which has a 7 kilos hand luggage allowance. Size must be no more than 22 x 15 x 8 inches - 55 x 38 x 20 cms.

Woolworths web site have some really nice small trolley rucksacks which are great as they are squashable but they are not currently in stock.

Anyone know where I might find one similar to the one in the link below?

They have a smaller size as well.

http://www.woolworths.co.uk/web/jsp/product/index.jsp?pid=50843587

Pippa
These are the same style that I saw in Matalan.
Hi Pippa,
Just had a quick look on E-Bay and their are quite a few for sale. Hope this helps. Sorry; not sure how to post a link :oops:
Regards, Brigger

P.S. I just typed Trolley Rucksacks into search.
Our local Matalan did not have any when we visited today.

A lot of the ones on ebay are somewhat bigger than the woolworths ones. It does tend to be the 8 inch depth that is a problem.

I will keep looking.

Thanks all,

Pippa
If the 8" depth is the problem, provided it is only a little bigger and you don't over-fill the case, you could take out the bottom board which I imagine would enable it to fit the 'cage' or whatever it is they use to measure luggage. - I hope this is the case (no pun intended) as I'm going to Denmark in September with Ryanair and just 10 kg hand luggage which is a few centimetres too wide (55 x 27 x 24)
I have one of the small backpack trolley cases it measures 54x15x7 inches
I bought it for a trip to Australia a couple of years ago as I thought it would be a bit awkward taking my normal small trolley handbaggage as well as a large case because I was catching lots of flights and staying at lots of hotels but I wished I hadn't taken it with me. It was very unstable and kept falling over when I was standing at desks (landing not just on my legs) it seemed quite heavy to hoist onto my back and the cover for the wheels became a bit of a nuisance as you have to fasten it before lifting it onto your back as otherwise the wheels make dirty marks on your clothes. I just weighed it and found it weighs exactly the same as my cabin trolley bag.
It has been sitting in my cellar unused since returning from my trip as I have used the normal trolley cabin bag on the last couple of holidays.
Thanks Judith,

Is the cabin trolley bag you prefer more like a very small trolley case?

Pippa
Hi Pippa

Thats exactly what it is a very small trolley case it measures 20x12x8inches.
If you do decide to get one for your mother, get a soft shell one with a pocket on the outside so she can carry her tickets etc. in the front.
Been and got one in Argos this morning - the actual case size measures 16 inches plus the wheels so well within the height size limit. Trouble is it doesn't have an outside pocket so will be going back on Monday to return it!

You would think that the small cabin size cases would have an outside pocket for tickets etc.

This is getting very difficult to find one the right size - shops seem to have sold out of them - the reasonable priced ones anyway.

Pippa
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.