General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
I usually dress up to go out of an evening, but admit I have been out and about late in shorts
and t-shirt, hair like a burst mattress and no make up! :really

But in my defence, this has only happened when we were just supposed to be just "nipping"
somewhere before going back to our accomodation to get showered, changed etc, but got
"distracted" on the way! ;)
I always go back and have a shower, get dressed up and everything before I go out. I just couldn't bring myself to go out to dinner in what I had been wearing on the beach. I love a good excuse for getting dreesed up anyway ;)
Oh no, we've not actually got round to going for dinner when we've still been in our "daywear" :cheers

But, it only happens occasionally - and it's never our fault - it's the fault of our friends of course! ;)
I tend to have at least one day per holiday when the plans go awry. :cheers Yes and having an afternoon drink is often the reason for this.

I never go out at night too casual though, I have a very separate load of clothes for daytime use that never stray towards evening. That said, I only take one or two pairs of shoes and always flats, and I often forget accessories cos I just get so chilled out.
If I am on a beach type holiday then I always have a shower and get changed into before going out for the evening. I'm usually one of the last to leave the pool area and often when I am heading back to my room all messy from a good days sunbathing and swimming, I am passing people all dressed for the evening and I feel a right state, so no, I could not go out looking like that - would put others off their meal! Daughter (15) is sent up to apartment a good hour before me to get ready as she seems to spend forever getting ready, I guess just a typical teenage girl! She does have some dressy shorts that she will wear in the evenings.

However, when I have gone on holiday to Florida, there's been many a time when we have left the theme parks quite late in the evening and by the time we drove back to the hotel/villa, got changed it and back out again it would be really late. So we have decided to just go get something to eat and have gone straight to a restaurant in our shorts and t-shirts, but i feel that is the norm there and a more casual dress code seems to apply there.
After a day out or at the beach I usually like to relax for an hour or so to read a book and have a cup of coffee - then its all systems go - Im afraid I do the full works and bring dresses/matching sandals and bags to go out in the evening - I sort of feel that its a real treat to be eating out every night at a nice restaurant and it makes me feel good to make the effort.

Im not done up like Bet Lynch mind.............just a nice summer dress or a top with lightweight trousers - I dont like to be too casual at nighttime
You sound a bit like me Tootsie - but this year I have to cut back on shoes because of the 15kg allowance. I'm opting for one gold, one silver & one white pair - oh & 2 pairs of flip flops. Same with bags - one gold, one silver & one white. They should go with everything. I also have definite day & evening wear.
Helen - that 15kg allowance is a pain isint it! :really

Like you I have cut down on the number of shoes (but not clothes lol) that I bring!

Accessorize have really lovely beaded flipflops which I bought this year to wear in the evenings, and am buying some croc (see croc thread) flipflops for during the day.
I do a mixture of smart/casual and dressy depending on where we are eating. Don't tend to do shorts but 3/4 trousers & vest tops for casual, onto linen skirts/trousers for posher and then flowy dresses for really posh. Also always do full slap and try and get the hair right, although often fighting a loosing battle there with the humidity and my curly hair. :(
I've given up on doing my hair, just let it dry natural.
If I do that I look like Krusty the Clown :(
I do wonder what people ever did before hair straighteners.

See, I spend one week (usually) on a gulet and there are no hairdriers, no straighteners, nobody bothers with make up, no shoes, bliss............. so I kinda go casual in my approach on land too but wear nicer clothes and put a bit of make up on to enhance the tan.
there are no hairdriers, no straighteners, nobody bothers with make up, no shoes,

Oh my God - if I ever mention on here that I fancy going on a gulet, please remind me of this. I would look like something that the cat dragged in. :D
Yes I always shower, change and put on some make up . Usually a sundres, linen trousers or a skirt .

We also follow a bit of a routine too . Usually stay at the pool until 5.30 -6 ,then back to the room for a lay down and 40 winks . shower etc about 7pm then try to be out for about 8 o clock .

Normally I'm yawning by 10pm again and could quite happily go to bed .
Sand C
Some people are really lucky, they can let their hair dry naturally and it lies perfectly and looks great. I, on the other hand, have fine hair which looks okay after using plenty of product and time spent with a hairdrier, but like something thats been dragged through a hedge backwards if left to dry on it's own. So if I went on a gulet cruise I would hope there were no mirrors either so I didn't have to see the disaster myself lol
kimi, Helen most people I have met who have worried about that have ceased to worry the minute they step on the boat. Everyone is the same so who cares?

Have you ever watched Shipwrecked? Where all the young and beautiful are on islands for about 3 months? I always think the girls look fabulous on there - moreso than when they get home and go on telly all dolled up - and they don't even have their shampoos and conditioners for all that time.
Yeah I guess as everyone is in the same boat, so to speak, it wouldn't matter!

I have watched shipwrecked and they do look fantastic, but then again they have two advantages over me - youth and beauty lol. Seriously, I do know what you are saying, I just wish the "natural look" for me was a more effortlessly glamourous look that some people just seem to carry off!
I know where you are coming from Kimi. There's a lot to be said for a good haircut and some funky hair accessories though.
most of the hotels we use have a dress code [long trousers or smart casual] whether this is enforced or not i always wear a shirt and tie and ling trousers if it be for the hotel or for a meal out at a restaurants, then depending on the temps i will either have a waistcoat or jacket [in the winter both] on, thew pendle witch will always have long trousers or skirt sleeved top and either cardi , jacket, or wrap,

no we are not posh, no we are not posers, this is the way we were taught to dress when going out and i must say 95% of places we have eaten in abroad appreciate this form of dress and service seems a little better than the norm

our routine.. i shower and change then go to the bar for a couple of glasses of something dry and red [purely to assist the appetite :rofl ] whilst the pendle witch gets herself dolled up then comes to meet me, we then depart for the evening be it the hotel dining room and bar or out to a local taverner for the evening

Brian
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.