Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Smoking ban
40 Posts
Oh, didn't realise that was when it was.
It worked in the Rep/of ireland no problem ...I just hope it works here too
Works perfectly well in Scotland as well. Been no smoking since last March and its heaven!
in actual fact it doesn't work that well in goa, most smokers still smoke in the streets, restraunts and on the beach. most peple ignore the ban it seems, and pay the fine if they get caught!!!
BOB :tut
the no smoking ban started in jersey 1st january this year,....the streets are littered with fag butts!!!! and there are ashtrays and little tubs for them to drop the butts in but the pavements are covered with them, especially 1st thing in the morning!!!

but like you say..you dont come home smelling if smoke :D
No youre right Bob in Goa it doesnt work well, cos like lots of other things it is not adhered to. and if caught then a quick back hander to the policeman and all will be fine. However, in this country it works perfectly well and the sooner its in the whole of the UK, the better (IMO)
I had no idea there was a smoking ban in Candolim. I am one of those with this disgusting habit :oops: and smoked everywhere I went. There were ashtrays in all the restaurants and bars I went into, not once was I told I couldnt smoke.
hi roxey, yeah the trouble is, the restraunt owners know people want to smoke, so they put the ash trays out for them. if someone gets caught smoking in that restraunt, the owner gets fined as well, he also gets fined if he hasn't got NO SMOKING sisns up!!
so perhaps the smokers should not ask for the ash trays in the first place, cos its not fair on the owners.
BOB :smokin
Ditto the fact that we never knew, my OH smoked everywhere, except the toilets....although ?
But I had no idea there was a smoking ban Bob, if I had been aware of it then wouldn't have smoked in the restaurants - I think banning smoking on the beach is a bit harsh though
Carolx
I had given up (again !) three weeks before went on hol. But after a couple of sleepless nights i was so fed up i started again. No-one told me about a ban anywhere, hotel, beaches or restaurants. And i was'nt the only one by any means.
hi carol,
sorry if it sounds like i'm on my soap box, that's not the case. i am an ex smoker who doesn't knock those that still do, like my wife for instance, it really doesn't bother me.
my only concern really is the restraunt owners that are getting fined because of someone elses habit!!!
i agree with you about the smoking on the beach too, in fact i don't see a problem with people smoking outdoors, my opinion is that they have gone too far with the ban.
BOB :yikes look out here comes the smokin police
I have no problem with people smoking outdoors on the beach either. But please do not litter the beach with the cigarette butts.
My sentiments exactly....the beaches are beginning to look like Benidorms and Teneriffes....big open ash-trays....please have some consideration for other people if you insist on breaking the smoking ban... :glynis
this smoking ban in Goa has been going on since 2001 (I think that was the first year) it seems to come and go and you hear of the odd few bars/restaurants/tourists being fined when all around carry on smoking. I am an ex smoker who still rolls her hubbies cigs so its no problem for me but must admit it will be nice when from April 1st (in Wales) we can go to a pub and not come out smelling like an old ash tray and hopefully this will give hubbie the urge to give it up (not)
cheers Lyn x
I feel really guilty now, because I truly didnt know there was a smoking ban. I have been in Goa every year for years now and never ever picked that up. I never leave ciggie butts lying around I always pick them up and bin them, no matter where I am.
I do stand up for my rights to smoke here in the UK, my god we pay enough tax to allow us the priviledge. £5 for a packet of 20, when I can buy 200 for £6.40 in India. However I certainly wouldnt want to inflict my habit on restaurants etc but smoking out in the open air - is there really a problem or has the world gone mad!!!
Just returned from goa.
Nobody takes any notice of the smoking ban. As an ex-smoker I do object to people smoking in restaurants when others are eating, but saying that, when I smoked I never considered other people, because I didn't realise how offensive it was to non smokers.
I am now a grumpy ex smoker!! :rage
:D I'm a very proud non smoker now!! (I know :roll: ... :sulk sorry all you smokers, I'm a traitor I know!!) ..... but its brillliant to be free from the slavery after 40 or more cigs a day :shock: for 30 odd years!!! :) .... and selfishly I welcome the ban in the UK in July, (you cant count here in Goa as a ban!!! :lol: ) .... but I would not have (welcomed it) before I gave up!! :oops: .............. but anyhow just incase anyone does want to give up ... I did it this time with the book by Alan carr, 'the easy way to stop smoking' .... believe!! :shock: absolutely amazing!! I know one person on this forum and one other of my friends here in Goa who have managed it after reading this book!! believe me i was a hardened smoker, really!! gave up twice before and failed again but dont feel i will this time because of this book and the different perspective it gives you :) :roll:
chilly :)
I think the smoking ban comes into force in England on 1 July and perhaps Wales on 1 April, but not sure about that one? Scotland has been no smoking since last March and the Republic of Ireland before that.
Although I am a non smoker I dont mind folk having a fag, but not when I am eating :evil: :twisted: that is so selfish!!!!
The no smoking ban in Goa is a a joke tho, just gets ignored, and most folk didnt even know there was a ban :roll:
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.