Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
I can honestly say none of them.

Sula has been hyped up in this country so bad. Even the cheapest French/Spanish wine in the biggest containers is better than Sula. I was 'treated' to a sample of 'fine wines' by the owner of a big hotel at Morjim, he was raving on about them.... I'm not a wine snob but your average discounted wine at £3.99 at Tesco was better than all of what I tasted. The 'Champagne' is disgusting!

The marketing of Indian wine in Goa/India is good but the product is somewhat dissapointing. My advice... tick to Gin and Tonic, cocktails or beer.
found over the years that either Madiera or Vin Balet (white)are drinkable about 250rps per bottle but any other recomendations would be welcome (going this week)
I remember getting a few bottles of white. I think it was called Riveria, that was ok - drinkable :cheers
I like very dry crisp white wine tho. It was the best of a bad bunch IMO :cheers
Big Neil. A couple of years back I would have agreed with you, but when I was there in January I tried a few of the wines, and I would not have been too disappointed if I had paid a fiver for them in Tesco. One of the best for value was called Sante, and cost 250 rupees, but both the red and the white were very good. It seems that many of the vineyards now have winemakers from Europe and the USA, and the difference is noticeable. Hopefully it will continue to improve.
Yes, as mentioned I was a guest of the owner of 'Sur La Mer' 5* at Morjim last year. The owner was very proud of his wine list... producing these very expensive Indian wines. The whites were very average/poor and were not worth 750 rs a bottle, I had a taste of more expensive but were not that much better.... bearing in mind that what he was letting me taste would have been the equiv' of a £30 bottle of wine in a restaurant. Yes 250rs would have been more accurate. But go figure it a £4 bottle of Rioja here is bound to be better than what they are selling.... they would probably charge 1200 rs as a special import.

Yes they are certainly trying but not close. The other thing is, I'll bet some of that wine is somewhere along the line is left in a very hot environment.
Sandy was the white wine (Sante) quite dry. I hate sweet white wine, thanks.
I did not actually taste the Sante white, but my wife who loves Sauvignon Blanc liked it, so I would think that it is quite dry.
i like vin ballet white,its about 400-500r in most restaurants.had a few bottles of sula champagne -900r in the shack or restaurant.
Hi all :wave:
my wife's favorite is "Port Wine"...technically not a wine i know , but try telling her that after she has had her daily bottle :rage .
She always brings about 10 bottles back with her, hidden in various parts of our luggage....just waiting for the day that the customs guy at manchester try to take them off her... :whoops .
I know you can get various types of Indian beers and wines back in England, but Ive tried EVERYWHERE to get Port Wine with no success.... any ideas for future reference.. :cheers
Vodka!!! Love wine over here but can't drink it over there - far too expensive and not up to much!
Keep trying it Candy64, it is getting better, but I agree it will never be as cheap as the vodka or gin. I really miss red wine after a week or so, so I don't mind paying £3 for a bottle of reasonable wine.
Hi Noggin
the port wine they sell in Goa tastes the same as Port (I think it is in fact the same, Portuguese origin) I had a few Port wines in Goa and to me it tasted the same as a bottle of Cockburns which you can get on offer over here for about a fiver.

debi
The best red wine we had in goa was in East meets West :tup it wa a Portuguese wine and about 550 a bottle, equal to a good Roija. Originally they made a mistake and brought us a dearer one (was it an accident :que ) they said sorry this one is 950, the waiter has made a mistake (probably thinking I would say ok just leave it) as it wasn't that good i said, ok change it then to the 550 bottle and my sinicism paid off as the cheaper one tasted much better :tup
Debi
any ideas on what the champagne is like in goa?
At best it is like the ten quid bottles at Lidl..... probably tastes better when you are on bottle 2 or 3 but never got that far.
My OH ordered a bottle of Champagne sent to the room on my birthday at the Marinha Dourada, I have to say it wasn't too bad, however I find Moet etc a bit dry (I like the pink Moet :cheers ) I would say it reminded me of the medium Cava that M&S sell, not too fizzy (like some) but not too dry either, think it was about a tenner though.
Did you have a bouquet of flowers delivered too? Saw them being carried over the bridge to the annexe!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.