Spain - Balearics - Majorca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Majorca.
This trip with Thomson last week was 52 euros and called Western Experience.I would suffer the demonstration at the bed factory as they also take you up the coast on a boat.My husband wouldnt go on either due to the hairy mountain roads!.
We just got a local bus into Palma, it stops just outdside the station, then buy tickets for the train its a lot cheaper than doing the organised trips but do be very careful of the pickpockets in Palma, one with false arms around a load of books had his real one in my bag as I got on the bus, he was spotted by another tourist and had it away on his toes but he didnt get anything thank goodness.
For scary mountain roads but beautiful views try the bus to Formentor, it takes you to one of the best beaches, backed by a pine forest, lots of places to sit in the shade and relax or sunbathe and swim, just wish I could afford the 5* hotel there, they have waiter service on the beach :o
have a good time
Lynn
cart583 wrote:
will be staying at bellevue end of alcudia in september and just wondered if anybody knew an approx price of the trip that takes you through the orange groves etc. i have been but my sister in law wants to go. when we went we got a cheap trip but had to sit through a demonstration on electric beds and then they try to sell you one. dont want to do that again.

As others have said, get the bus to Plama and do the train tram and boat yourself. There is actually a twice daily local bus connects Port de Soller/ Pollensa, Port De Pollensa, Alcudia and Can Picafort, but it does go the lovely 'hairy' route!

I stay in Soller every year ( leaving for another three weeks on 28 June) and cannot recommend the area enough.
It's easy to do this great trip yourself:

First get to Palma by bus or car - if driving try parking in the underground car park of El Corte Ingles (department store).
Next take the old fashioned train to Soller. There is a tourist one at around 10:40 that has a 'photo' stop. The scenery is lovely as you wend your way through the orange groves. The trip takes one hour.
You arrive in the lovely town of Soller a nice spot for lunch and/or ice cream - see http://www.gelatsoller.com
Then you take the vintage tram down to Port de Soller - a half-hour trip to the pleasant seaside resort. You can get a boat trip there.
Finally you take the bus back to Palma. The bus goes through Deia & various mountain villages (saves having to drive it yourself!) before arriving back in Palma.

For a lovely description and photographs of the Soller Train and Tram
- see http://www.sollernet.com/trendesoller/en1.html

For the latest timetable, see the official site (in Spanish)
- see http://www.todoesp.es/trensoller/html/horario.html

Prices for the tourist trains (with photostop) are 6€ (children 3€) one way, or 8.45 € (6€) return. The tram from Soller to Puerto Soller is 1€ per trip and departs every 30 mins.
Can anybody recommend an appartment in Soller to rent for DIY holiday?

Dave
Contact the Marina Madrid Hotel (see the reviews). They have a number of studio, one and two bedroom places at 55 to 110 euros per apartment per night including breakfast. Its a great hotel, which I stay at ever year. You will love Port De Soller, its a great place. Book direct by email or phone and save a fortune.
Could any of you out there possibly help us with a timetable for the wooden train from palma to soller, we have been on it before and loved it. Unfortunately last year we took some friends with us to show them but missed the train, don`t want a repeat of that this year if we can help it.
We shall be in Mallorca from the 14th of october and are staying in s`illot with hire cars, if possible we would like to catch the train from soller to palma and then back again ( this is so the men can fish at soller all day while we ladies partake in some retail therapy) any info would be greatly appreciated..thanks Sharon.
got these

Train Times:
FROM PALMA TO SOLLER..............FROM SOLLER TO PALMA
08:00....................................................... 06:45
10:40 - tourist train with photo stop.............09:15
13:00.......................................................11:50
15:15....................................................... 14:10
20:05 (19:45 in winter)...............................19:00 (18:30 in winter)
Telephone 0034 971 630301 for further details.
or look
http://www.todoesp.es/trensoller/html/horario.html
in spanish but gives trains and tram times
Thankyou very much for that extremely quick reply.....forgive me though it might be because its now dark and my brain has stopped working lol, but im kind of finding it hard to make sense of? Could you just confirm what time the trains leave soller?
the ones on the right!!!!
Thankyou again, dont know if it was beacuse it didnt load properly in the browser the 1st time, looks a lot different?.....but extremely clear now. Thanks Sharon
Martin, thats most useful. When my wife and I were in Pollensa last year I bought the tickets for a trip on the Orange train........and mistook the dates and missed the coach and the train!!! I've been in doggie house since whenever its mentioned. so glad to have those times.
hello

me and my friends are thinking of going to soller for a holiday before we all go to university. we like soller because we didn't want a resort and we wanted some peace and quiet to 'bond', but we do want to have some fun in bars and meet, um, spanish men...anyway, i was wondering what is the nightlife like in soller? we don't want clubs, just some nice spanish bars with a good atmosphere. is soller the right place?
No, not really, it really isnt a place to meet young Spanish men. There is one club (open wekends only) and only a couple of bars where young(ish) locals go. I would head elsewhere or go out in Palma.

Soller is for olders people or couples with kids up to about 10.
Could any previous visitor or puerto soller regulars give me some info regarding the beaches in the port and surrounding area.What are their favourites,how far,how to get there,any problems,etc.Also tips for a first time visitor would be welcomed.
Thank you in advance
The beach at Puerto Soller itself is not very good. It's right at the harbour, quite narrow, a lot of shingle and rocky in places. The water is also slightly poluted with oil from the ships. There is another beach about 1/2 mile to the left (facing the sea) which is a bit better but nothing special. I don't know of any other beaches on the west coast which are nearby. We hired a car and went either north or south for swimming beaches. The resort itself is very busy during the day with visitors but very quiet at night. I could say you could hear a pin drop, but if you dropped a pin someone would call the police and report a disturbance.
We stayed at the Hotel Generoso which was quite pleasant. The area is very popular with hillwalkers. We were there in May 2002, the weather was lovely. The town has lots of nice restaurants, although we found them a little on the expensive side.
We much prefer Puerto Pollensa.
Hi
Been to Soller a few times amd we love it, you need to be quite fit as you can walk a lot, quite hilly away from the front, but interesting. We found the English food Ok but f you want Spanish food you need to get talking to the locals and they will tell you where the best and cheapest food places are. Also you can get hire boats to the little coves just out of the port, or hire yourself a boat and driver he will take you to the best beaches. The beaches are as quoted previously, a little oily due to the tourist boats, they come during the day, making the place very busy, but once they go it is a lot quieter. The have old San Fransisco trams running along the front and to Soller, where you can catch a train to Palma, it is a lovely journey. I am sure you will have a lovely time.
Christine
Hi again, guess we may have left this a little late, but can anyone possibly provide with a website to find the timetable for the soller-palma train. The link above no longer works...........and when I say about leaving it late.....we fly out in approx 18 hours time. :lol:
Only 15 hours to go !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.