Tunisia Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Tunisia.
This is the Turkey forum :lol:

John
Well on my computer it's got onto the Tunisian forum quite safely so thank you very much. It certainly looks very useful.

There are quite a few more words and phrases on here as well which you might like to have a look at. You will often hear "aasef" for 'sorry' and "aasef jeddan" for 'very sorry'. One of the most useful is "gahli barcha" - too expensive or one which I believe Briar is particularly fond of "ma fish valoos" 'I haven't any money' :roll:
Enjoy Sousse Stewind but leave some sun for me please.
You have many uses Briar and we all love you. :lol:
Aslemma, can you help me out with some prenunciation on "ghali"?

Im learning a bit of MSA at the moment, but ghali isnt covered in the program I have.

Is the g silent, or is it pronounced as the gh in through?

Ta in advance :)
I'm certainly no expert but just pronounce it with a hard g - like garlic but without the 'c'. It may not be right but it seems to work OK. :lol: Most of the books and tapes are actually 'classic' Arabic which is recognised throughout that part of the world, but many of the bits I've managed to pick up have been specifically Tunisian. Don't worry too much as the fact that you are attempting to use their language will be appreciated. Of course if you say 'naam min fadhlek' (yes please) rather than 'la shokran' (no thank you) to the shopkeepers in the Medina it will be even more appreciated. :lol:
shukran jazilan aslemma :)

I always try to make an effort to at least learn some of the language to the places I travel to, and as you can imagine, Arabic has proved erm interesting, shall we say!

But it is actually coming together a little now, so hopefully by the time I go, I should have mastered at least some Arabic.
Many congratulations. Don't worry too much about pronunciation, you will certainly be much better than the many who never bother to learn even a few words.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.